The Best Sports Cities in America

Ypsilanti, Michigan... yeah this list fails.

Home of Eastern Michigan University.

Baka.

"Best Sports Cities" doesn't mean "Most Successful Sports Teams Cities" does it?

For the purposes of this ANNUAL exercise, yes it does.

Then how is it not NY? Yankees may have more championships than any cities sports teams put together.

And they didn't win one in the last year. Neither did the Rangers, Giants, Jets, Islanders, Mets, Rutgers, etc. Which coincidentally is the time frame considered by this ANNUAL exercise. So that's why New York isn't at the top.

Baka.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

ooh ooh this is fun let me do one

How come St. Louis isn't #1? They have the best fans in baseball. This list sucks.

*evil cackle* thanks for that.

Yeah having Dallas at #1 instantly makes the list worthless, but since it's an annual list, I suppose they deserve it simply for denying LeBron.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

ooh ooh this is fun let me do one

How come St. Louis isn't #1? They have the best fans in baseball. This list sucks.

OK, now see that's a remotely valid criticism of The Sporting News.

/They aren't #1 because Tony LaRussa didn't believe in winning baseball games after July last season.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Baka.

I know. That's why I'm questioning this list. And why it's 13.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Baka.

Apparently the SportingNews has finally realized that EMU is a college sports powerhouse?

Rankings like this lose all credibility when you look at the top cities they list. What do they all have in common, winning teams! Of course they are going to have high attendance. I also find it hard to believe that they base it on attendance when you have a lot of cities up there, that in fact have no reason to be.

Atlanta? couldn't keep the Trashers why would they be up there

Miami? Marlins, Panthers, Dolphins even the all-mighty Heat don't draw well

Tampa? umm Rays and Bucs

Pittsburgh? see what happens when the steelers lose, Pens numbers are dropping and Pirates are terrible.

Detroit? Lions

Fact is everyone will feel that "their" city will be at the top. Like I would make the case for Cleveland, huge crowds for terrible teams like the Browns and Cavs would make the case for a good city? But sad numbers the past few years for the Tribe bring us down. Factor in the 455 and we're easily in the top 10. I say that, now I'll have people in numbers say "that's crazy, my city is way better than Cleveland" and its an endless argument that goes no where.

To be fair, Cavs attendance will plummet when the NBA comes back. The only reason they sold out all the games was they made all the season ticket holders renew before LeBron's "Decision."

6fQjS3M.png

Baka.

Because they grouped it with Detroit and Ann Arbor.

Today, we are all otaku.

Eh, I'm not going to actually break down the actual rankings merit list. It's stupidity has been broken down.

What I do find interesting is the breakdown of the cities. Based on the groupings of the other cities and how things are usually broken down. Like I'm not complaining, and hell, if people know my record, I'm happy they did this, but Los Angeles and Anaheim are actually separate on the list. Now like I said, I appreciate the separation for my only personal reasons, but in reality for this list's purpose, it could probably be together (as some of these other ones could be or actually are). Since they're judging all these teams together, for Anaheim/LA there is a lot of crossover in fan bases between teams from each city. Ducks fans are also Laker/Clipper/Dodger fans. Kings fans are also Angel fans. Angel fans are also Laker/Clipper/Kings fans. Whatever way you want to break it down with the other teams and colleges, they cross over. For this, they actually should have been together.

And like I said it could be done with a lot of these. Like they also have San Jose-Palo Alto-Santa Clara separate from San Francisco which is also separate from Oakland-Berkeley. The break-up of these cities are dumb and at times kind of arbitrary.. And if you're going to break it up like that, then either break it up to each of those individual cities. And hell, if you're doing that break it up into individual teams, and by that point you're already copying ESPN's team rankings.

In short, the idea, execution, and discussion of this list is dumb.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Who cares? I never understood how lists like this... especially when it comes to sports... receive any sort of popularity or recognition. Its completely subjective. It's not like they take in to account ticket prices, fan base, population with in 25 miles of the city... stats that would actually matter when it comes to a list like this.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Cleveland fans: OUR LOYAL AND INQUISITION-FUELED PATHOS DESERVES 20 BONUS POINTS TO COMPENSATE FOR OUR TEAMS PLAYING LIKE SICK NUNS.

Today, we are all otaku.

Cleveland fans: OUR LOYAL AND INQUISITION-FUELED PATHOS DESERVES 20 BONUS POINTS TO COMPENSATE FOR OUR TEAMS PLAYING LIKE SICK NUNS.

I mean honestly. How can you compare sports Cities with some degree of objectivity? It's impossible. Do you grade just the professional teams? Do you grade semi-professional and amateur teams? Do you grade it based on people who are in a city with a pro team buy have loyalties else where? Do you include colleges? What about high schools, grade schools, travel teams, hot stove teams, AAU teams? Are geographical limits strictly based on the city boarders, tax locations, utility services, major city and its surrounding suburbs? Do you take into account the total number of fans allowed in each stadium compared to the total number of citizens in the area? Do you just assume everyone in City X is a fan of X's teams? I mean... its one of those things were people get their panties in a jumble and there is no scientific methodology or objectivity involved.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I mean honestly. How can you compare sports Cities with some degree of objectivity? It's impossible. Do you grade just the professional teams? Do you grade semi-professional and amateur teams? Do you grade it based on people who are in a city with a pro team buy have loyalties else where? Do you include colleges? What about high schools, grade schools, travel teams, hot stove teams, AAU teams? Are geographical limits strictly based on the city boarders, tax locations, utility services, major city and its surrounding suburbs? Do you take into account the total number of fans allowed in each stadium compared to the total number of citizens in the area? Do you just assume everyone in City X is a fan of X's teams? I mean... its one of those things were people get their panties in a jumble and there is no scientific methodology or objectivity involved.

I guess shooting people for treachery and defeatism does deserve to be rewarded.

Today, we are all otaku.

How in the hell is Atlanta on this list?????

The list accounts for the Falcons, Braves, and Hawks "success" from the past few seasons as well as the person or people responsible throwing in a few sympathy votes for losing the Thrashers to Winnipeg.

Archived