Interesting Lakers logo in NBA 2K12

Old School Fool

zcNcf.jpg

I was playing the NBA's Greatest mode and I decided play Lakers/Celtics, and this logo is what they have for LA in the game for that era. I've never seen this before and it totally blew my mind. It's worth noting that the game uses the Larry Bird era logo for the 60's Celtics though.

bSLCtu2.png

zcNcf.jpg

I was playing the NBA's Greatest mode and I decided play Lakers/Celtics, and this logo is what they have for LA in the game for that era. I've never seen this before and it totally blew my mind. It's worth noting that the game uses the Larry Bird era logo for the 60's Celtics though.

Maybe it's a script of their logos in the early 60s, before the purple and gold became the standard when the Forum in Inglewood opened (1967).

...It's worth noting that the game uses the Larry Bird era logo for the 60's Celtics though.

While inaccurate, this:

pphdqx7bfbbbumpehh7telq1h.gif

is a hell of a lot better than this:

5864.gif

On topic, what dbasedefense1990 said was probably true, though I couldn't find anything on CC's Lakers page.

I doubt 2K would just create a logo for the Lakers using colors from the era.

spacer.png

...It's worth noting that the game uses the Larry Bird era logo for the 60's Celtics though.

While inaccurate, this:

pphdqx7bfbbbumpehh7telq1h.gif

is a hell of a lot better than this:

5864.gif

On topic, what dbasedefense1990 said was probably true, though I couldn't find anything on CC's Lakers page.

I doubt 2K would just create a logo for the Lakers using colors from the era.

To be honest, I have no idea what the primary LA Lakers logo was, prior to opening the Forum. And it sure as hell isn't this:

My link

Matter of fact, I've never even seen an actual reference to the "tennis ball" logo anytime after the Forum opened. Although it has been on their unis in the 1980s:

My link

Matter of fact, I've never even seen an actual reference to the "tennis ball" logo anytime after the Forum opened. Although it has been on their unis in the 1980s:

My link

It was on the shorts back in the early 70's - I wanna say the '72-73 season, but I can't be sure without checking.

The logo the OP posted reminds me of the font & colours used when the team was in Minneapolis, but I don't know if it's something made up for the game. It's funny, the Lakers are arguably the NBA's most recognisable and most popular franchise, yet we have no idea what logos they used for a big chunk of the 60's. Just goes to show how little the NBA and its teams care for their history.

On Wikipedia and a few other sites, this is apparently whats listed during the blue years...

MGOldLakersLogo2.PNG

I wanted to dispute this after seeing the giraffe logo on merchandise and cards, but then I went to Lakers.com and saw this...

110915_Schaus_650.jpg

There it is, the logo is on his warmup jacket.

bSLCtu2.png

The above photo was taken during the 1965 playoffs, if that's any help, and it was on the warmups the previous season too.

The only thing I've found with that triangular text logo is the cover of a 1962 Finals program:

6249678999_04917c941b.jpg

Archived