Al Davis passes away

mania

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do have to think about the team's future in the Bay Area, and it was already somewhat in doubt even before his passing. Nonetheless, Al Davis left an incredible legacy and impact in the history of professional football in the United States.

I'm watching the NFL Network coverage...no offense to the young lady anchoring, but where the hell is Rich Eisen or Fran Charles? She's terrible, and NFLN is the only network with wall-to-wall coverage since the ESPNs are in college football mode.

You realize that sunset Friday night started Yom Kippur.

I did five shows that night![/Krusty the Clown]

Unfortunately, Al Davis will be remembered as being an old senile man that the game had passed by. For as much as he did up until the mid '90's, the last 15 or so years people think of him as a joke and unfortunately that will be his legacy. That whole Raider image of toughness and a place will talented-yet rebellious misfits would come together and produce championships will be forgotten quickly because this generation of football fans don't really know or understand what Al Davis did. I hated the Raiders because they were always good, not because they were the Raiders. I respect Al for what he did until the mid '90's, but I think Bo Jackson was his swan song for great moves and I think it was Todd Marinovich that began the insane moves that lead to the demise of the Raiders.

You have to wonder if his son Mark will try to sell the team or keep them and work out a deal with the 49ers to share the proposed stadium in Santa Clara

The Davis' only own 47% of the team, but they own all the "voting shares". The other investors do not have a say in daily operations, but share in the profits.

Depending on how Al distributed his estate, Mark could in fact be a problem with the family keeping the team. If the team was left to his wife, then she is exempt from estate taxes, but if it is/was given to Mark, then he would be responsible for estate taxes unless the family bought insurance to cover the estate taxes. If he would have died last year, like George Steinbrenner, Mark would be in the clear as there 2010 was a year with no estate tax.

Last year with no salary cap, there was also no supplemental revenue sharing, so the team lost out on that $10-20M.

Archived