Championship Games and Alternate Uniforms

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1998 Calgary Stampeders won the grey Cup in their black alternates, but I wish they'd worn red.

They've won since in 2001 & 2008--but in white.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Didn't really think of it until I saw the other minor league team mentioned, but the Quad-Cities River Bandits had a "blackout" on the night they won the 2011 Midwest League championship last month, wearing their black alt jersey and what is technically the black road QC cap:

4e7579f7de7c6.image.jpg

Those... look... AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked::woot::vaderandluke:

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

That was their alt? I thought that was just their away uniform.

Nope, this was the 1998-1999 Dallas Stars set. The year after the Alt became the road and they created a home to match.

Stars03.pngStars05.png

The only upgrade the Stars have ever made...

Nope, this was the 1998-1999 Dallas Stars set. The year after the Alt became the road and they created a home to match.

Stars03.pngStars05.png

I like those Stars star sweaters, but I can't un-see how the Stars logo and the star pattern doesn't line up. It's the first thing my eye goes to. Really annoying.

Stars03.pngStars05.png

I like those Stars star sweaters, but I can't un-see how the Stars logo and the star pattern doesn't line up. It's the first thing my eye goes to. Really annoying.

Great. Now I can't unsee it. And to think those were my favorite post-Minneapolis Stars uniforms but a few moments ago. But the not lining up thing...it's ruined it for me.

spacer.png

I always hated those All-Star template uniforms they had.

The uniforms they had before that template took over was the best the Stars have had in Dallas. That's not saying that they are awesome, it's just the best they've looked since the Dallas move.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The Nets wore the ABA-era throwback alts in the 2003 NBA Finals.

7.-New-Jersey-Nets-ABA-throwbacks.jpg

t10_best-athletes_5.jpg

001289134.jpg

(Sadly, their opponents, the Spurs, did not reciprocate by wearing ABA throwbacks, in the only NBA Finals matchup between two former ABA teams.)

IIRC, the Nets had this jersey as an option that year. Alas, the Spurs just had their usuals.

The Nets wore the ABA-era throwback alts in the 2003 NBA Finals.

7.-New-Jersey-Nets-ABA-throwbacks.jpg

t10_best-athletes_5.jpg

001289134.jpg

Ugh. I hated it when this happened. Alternates in championship games are a little awkward for me, but throwback/retro jerseys in these situations absolutely sicken me. They're great to show off during a regular season game, but in the title series? God awful. No respect for the current team; wearing throwbacks in a time like this shows little appreciation to the current sets of unis.

Then again, this was the 2003 Finals, where no one watched it, there were no stars in it, rarely did either SA or NJ score 90+ pts per game, and where ABC totally destroyed their NBA coverage a year after stealing it from precious NBC.

1996 Florida Gators:

sugar+bowl.jpg

This was their normal away uniform at the time:

Reidel-Anthony-Florida-Gators2.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Then again, this was the 2003 Finals, where no one watched it, there were no stars in it

Yeah, no stars... except for Jason Kidd, Dikembe Mutombo, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili. But other than that, no stars.

Haha, I LOLed at this. Thanks for the comedic post Lights Out.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Then again, this was the 2003 Finals, where no one watched it, there were no stars in it

Yeah, no stars... except for Jason Kidd, Dikembe Mutombo, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili. But other than that, no stars.

And Kenyon Martin was no slouch at the time...

That being said I did hate that series, even more than I hate paper cuts. I'd say I didn't watch more than 10 minutes total of it. Any Finals the Spurs were in was just brutal.

90758391980.gif

Unless I'm mistake Miami's orange jerseys are their home one's... thus making these alts:

ohio-state-miami-2003-fiesta-bowl.jpg

I think green may have been their home jersey with that set. It seemed like they wore those more often than the orange jerseys.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Unless I'm mistake Miami's orange jerseys are their home one's... thus making these alts:

ohio-state-miami-2003-fiesta-bowl.jpg

I think green may have been their home jersey with that set. It seemed like they wore those more often than the orange jerseys.

Very possible, that wouldn't surprise me. They looked much better than the orange's in my opinion. I loved that look for The U.

90758391980.gif

Alternates in championship games are a little awkward for me, but throwback/retro jerseys in these situations absolutely sicken me. They're great to show off during a regular season game, but in the title series? God awful. No respect for the current team; wearing throwbacks in a time like this shows little appreciation to the current sets of unis.

then again, the current sets of unis might not deserve any appreciation. :P

I tend to agree with you, though. You wear your best look in big games. If that's a throwback, then make the throwback your primary.

Archived