Championship Games and Alternate Uniforms

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alternates in championship games are a little awkward for me, but throwback/retro jerseys in these situations absolutely sicken me. They're great to show off during a regular season game, but in the title series? God awful. No respect for the current team; wearing throwbacks in a time like this shows little appreciation to the current sets of unis.

then again, the current sets of unis might not deserve any appreciation. :P

I tend to agree with you, though. You wear your best look in big games. If that's a throwback, then make the throwback your primary.

I don't think he means wear your best look, I'm pretty sure he means you should wear your look. The look you had all season prior to reaching that point, no matter what it looks like. And I agree 100% with him. The Nets should have been representing the 2003 Nets, not the 1980 Nets.

90758391980.gif

Both the Orioles and the Pirates wore their alternate uniforms(one of many for the Pirates) in the 1979 World Series.

moreno.jpg1-stoddard.jpg

This probably fits more in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread, but this is one of my favorite WS to look at ever, mainly because the uniforms were SO funky.

nl_1979_pittsburgh.gif

al_1979_baltimore.gif

I love the Pullover Era.

Can anyone say with authority that the 1979 Pirates even had a primary uniform? Look at the mixy-matchy.

They quite honestly didn't have a primary. The only general rule I can think of (and this may or may not be totally correct) is that they only wore the pinstriped jerseys at home since the base was white, which makes perfect sense. Other than that, there seem to be no indications as to what might have been the "primary home and road." They had black-on-black, yellow-on-yellow, pinstripes-on-black, yellow-on-black, black-on-yellow...bumblebees on acid, no? :P

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Both the Orioles and the Pirates wore their alternate uniforms(one of many for the Pirates) in the 1979 World Series.

moreno.jpg1-stoddard.jpg

......and America's retinas collectively exploded.

Baseball could use more colorful matchups like this these days. I'd rather see orange vs. yellow than white versus gray - at least every once in a while.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

As for any playoff series, I don't have a problem with a team wearing alternate jerseys, however I think that teams should wear their regulars for any game that could possibly be the clinching game (for either team). Just my opinion, but I think it looks odd seeing a team in an alternate uniform celebrate a championship.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Can anyone say with authority that the 1979 Pirates even had a primary uniform? Look at the mixy-matchy.

They quite honestly didn't have a primary. The only general rule I can think of (and this may or may not be totally correct) is that they only wore the pinstriped jerseys at home since the base was white, which makes perfect sense. Other than that, there seem to be no indications as to what might have been the "primary home and road." They had black-on-black, yellow-on-yellow, pinstripes-on-black, yellow-on-black, black-on-yellow...bumblebees on acid, no? :P

They were Oregon before Oregon fell in love with Nike. :lol:

Winnipeg Blue Bombers wore their Gold Alternate throughout the 2007 playoffs, including the Grey Cup.

77395f0a4561a5e16a3d10709d3b.jpeg

I really hoped they burned those afterwards, easily one of the ugliest in their history, and one of the ugliest ones in CRU/CFL history..

tigercatssignature-1.png

Somehow I figured the Rangers would be wearing their blue alts tonight...and they'll most likely do that for each game they play in St. Louis in the Series, considering they will probably go with the white jersey/red caps and socks for all the games in Arlington. A little part of me just died :(

The Texas Rangers are wearing their blue alternates tonight for Game 1 of the World Series.

EDIT - ninja'd

They are becoming the Chicago White Sox of the AL West--their alternates are becoming the primaries. With the added punch line that they have not *one* alternate jersey but *two*, not to mention two different caps that they mix and match...

Alternates in championship games are a little awkward for me, but throwback/retro jerseys in these situations absolutely sicken me. They're great to show off during a regular season game, but in the title series? God awful. No respect for the current team; wearing throwbacks in a time like this shows little appreciation to the current sets of unis.

then again, the current sets of unis might not deserve any appreciation. :P

I tend to agree with you, though. You wear your best look in big games. If that's a throwback, then make the throwback your primary.

I don't think he means wear your best look, I'm pretty sure he means you should wear your look. The look you had all season prior to reaching that point, no matter what it looks like. And I agree 100% with him. The Nets should have been representing the 2003 Nets, not the 1980 Nets.

Generally I'd agree with the idea that a team shouldn't wear throwbacks in the championship series. But, for me, this was a special case. I loved it -- I can remember actually whooping with joy when I saw this.

However, Gothamite makes a good point: they should have made these throwbacks their primaries. This is how the Nets should always have looked; this is just what "Nets" look like.

As I mentioned, I'd agree that it wouldn't be a good precedent; I wouldn't want to encourage all teams to break out throwbacks in the finals. But at that moment, for that team, it was right. Representing the 1974 and 1976 ABA Champions in the 2003 NBA Finals (with Dr. J in attendance) was beautiful.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived