NFL Uniforms 2011 (Week 6)

Luigi

The Packers updated their webpage yesterday, in advance of this weekend's blue throwbacks:

2011_AcmePackers_webpage.jpg

They did this last year, as well.

I was really hoping for a sunny day on Sunday - last year was cloudy, and in the photos their uniforms didn't pop as well as they would under the sun - but it looks like rain.

09000d5d81ca7137_gallery_600.jpg

Wish they'd make the helmets matte, maybe with sublimated flaps/straps/etc. like helmets had back in the day. It would look a lot better.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matte, maybe. But I've come around on the solid brown shells - I don't want them to paint a leather helmet pattern on them.

totally agree, a sublimated leather pattern would look out of place and goofy.

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

Re Bucs wearing white, the forecast is partly cloudy and 88 degrees, so it makes sense. It'd work out better for them if it wasn't the Saints, though. They're used to the heat and half the team wears black during training camp in New Orleans.

Matte, maybe. But I've come around on the solid brown shells - I don't want them to paint a leather helmet pattern on them.

So you guys are on the fence about the sublimations, huh? :P

That was just a thought, but I still think matte would look a lot better than glossy brown.

Turning to the Falcons' throwbacks, Matt Chirnoff on the local station 680 The Fan yesterday said they're wearing the '98 SB era jersey but with the old '66 red helmets. Huh? Looking at Unis Past and Present, it's basically the same jersey design so maybe that's why he's confused. He also reminisced about the great old Falcons set that had silver numbers on the red jerseys. :huh: I don't remember Atlanta ever having silver numbers and looked from '66 through '72 or so. Nothing but white. Am I missing something?

You know, I really hate the Falcons. But even I have to salute a fantastic uni, and this, my friends, is a fantastic uni.

throwback-sample.jpg

Re Bucs wearing white, the forecast is partly cloudy and 88 degrees, so it makes sense. It'd work out better for them if it wasn't the Saints, though. They're used to the heat and half the team wears black during training camp in New Orleans.

So you guys are on the fence about the sublimations, huh? :P

That was just a thought, but I still think matte would look a lot better than glossy brown.

Turning to the Falcons' throwbacks, Matt Chirnoff on the local station 680 The Fan yesterday said they're wearing the '98 SB era jersey but with the old '66 red helmets. Huh? Looking at Unis Past and Present, it's basically the same jersey design so maybe that's why he's confused. He also reminisced about the great old Falcons set that had silver numbers on the red jerseys. :huh: I don't remember Atlanta ever having silver numbers and looked from '66 through '72 or so. Nothing but white. Am I missing something?

You know, I really hate the Falcons. But even I have to salute a fantastic uni, and this, my friends, is a fantastic uni.

throwback-sample.jpg

I remember them having the silver numbers sometime in the early eighties. Google Mick Luckhurst, check the images. There's a picture in there with him wearing it.

You're right, thanks. That's more gray than silver, and looks kinda goofy because now the helmet stripes, trim around the helmet logo, and NOB are the only white on the uni.

2165387.jpg

3809203.jpg

Go with real silver and get everything either matched up or consistent (i.e. add other white trim) and that would be a pretty sharp look. Might want to dump the sleeve stripes or logo, looks kinda weird to have both.

You're right, thanks. That's more gray than silver, and looks kinda goofy because now the helmet stripes, trim around the helmet logo, and NOB are the only white on the uni.

2165387.jpg

3809203.jpg

Go with real silver and get everything either matched up or consistent (i.e. add other white trim) and that would be a pretty sharp look. Might want to dump the sleeve stripes or logo, looks kinda weird to have both.

The Falcons were the first team I remember having both stripes and the logo like that - that was their look from 1978 until say 1986 or so - of course during the 80s some players wore shorter sleeves that had smaller stripes instead of the full stripes. I think they changed in 1987 so the stripes were higher on the sleeves, the Falcon logo was smaller and it fit inside the stripes.

Here's a shot with the smaller stripes:

2222872.jpg

Here's a shot of the final version of that set with the logo inside the stripes - I can't remember if that ran for 3 years (1987-1989) or just two years (1988-1989):

2123805.jpg

Here's an interesting shot from 1978 - the first year of the red/silver look - note that the Falcon logo is much smaller and does not have the white outline around it. It makes it hard to see it on some photos - I think that's why the guy who did that "Football Uniforms Past & Present" forgot to put the logo on his drawings from 1978-1980.

4761606.jpg

Love that Deon Sanders white jersey.

Bills (all-white) vs Giants

Eagles (green pants) vs Redskins (burgundy & yellow)

Bengals (orange jersey - white pants) vs Colts

Packers (1920s Throwback?) vs Rams (white on blue)

Falcons (Throwbacks) vs Panthers (all-white)

spacer.png

The pink is gone. This means that the NFL is now in favor of breast cancer.

America's Team is still working on a cure, apparently.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I love the Patriots wearing white at home today, partly because it's thumbing their noses at the Cowboys, partly because the Cowboys' blue jerseys really do look nice. I hate the Cowboys, but I've always liked those blue jerseys they have, and their uniforms as a whole.

throwback-sample.jpg

Best look in the league if you ask me. Why they don't switch to this look full time is beyond me. There's not a single thing I'd change about that uniform. It is perfect.

BB52Big.jpg

The Cowboys really need to make one of those layers on their numbers gray/silver. I'd prefer primarily gray numbers like the previous set, but I'd settle for an outline.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived