Hot Stove: MLB Offseason Thread

Dexter Morgan

Houston to the AL West? First a Gammons tweet, not a more heat.

Doesn't seem to be much backing his assertion other than the same speculation that was rampant over the summer. But then I wouldn't expect anything less from a blog. Sources are never their strong suit.

I still stick by my earlier post in the Postseason thread. I'd rather see the D-Backs move to the AL West, balancing out the recent expansion teams to 2 and 2. Then moving Houston to that vacant NL West spot. That way things stay seemingly balanced for the Inter-League/Interstate rivalries. D-Backs and Rockies become the West IL rivalry. This is all if IL Play continues moving forth, if it keeps going on this is the best way according to me. Built in rivalries for IL would be:

Existing:

NYY/NYM

BOS/PHI

WAS/BAL

TB/MIA

CLE/CIN

CHW/CHC

MIN/MIL

KC/STL

TEX/HOU

LAA/LAD

OAK/SF

SEA/SD

New:

TOR/ATL

DET/PIT

AZ/COL

Also with this scenario, there would be no NL series during Inter-League play times. If interlague play is dead and a non issue, then by all means could Houston head to the AL West. I am pretty much upset with the imbalance in the leagues, schedules and IL play.

packchampionslfroh.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't seem to be much backing his assertion other than the same speculation that was rampant over the summer. But then I wouldn't expect anything less from a blog. Sources are never their strong suit.

I still stick by my earlier post in the Postseason thread. I'd rather see the D-Backs move to the AL West, balancing out the recent expansion teams to 2 and 2. Then moving Houston to that vacant NL West spot. That way things stay seemingly balanced for the Inter-League/Interstate rivalries. D-Backs and Rockies become the West IL rivalry. This is all if IL Play continues moving forth, if it keeps going on this is the best way according to me. Built in rivalries for IL would be:

Existing:

NYY/NYM

BOS/PHI

WAS/BAL

TB/MIA

CLE/CIN

CHW/CHC

MIN/MIL

KC/STL

TEX/HOU

LAA/LAD

OAK/SF

SEA/SD

New:

TOR/ATL

DET/PIT

AZ/COL

Also with this scenario, there would be no NL series during Inter-League play times. If interlague play is dead and a non issue, then by all means could Houston head to the AL West. I am pretty much upset with the imbalance in the leagues, schedules and IL play.

I couldn't agree more.

On the topic of Epstein, I'm happy the Cubs have him. First he needs to demote Quade back to 3rd base coach and try to get Francona to follow him to the North Side. Then he need to work on unloading the contracts of Zambrano, Soriano, and Dempster, and probably Marmol. Then he needs to go out and try to get Pujols or Fielder, bolster the rotation, and probably get a new closer (could Papelbon make the Boston to Chicago move, too?)

25yzwqg.png

On the topic of Epstein, I'm happy the Cubs have him. First he needs to demote Quade back to 3rd base coach and try to get Francona to follow him to the North Side. Then he need to work on unloading the contracts of Zambrano, Soriano, and Dempster, and probably Marmol. Then he needs to go out and try to get Pujols or Fielder, bolster the rotation, and probably get a new closer (could Papelbon make the Boston to Chicago move, too?)

So in other words, clean house except for Starlin Castro.

100% agreed.

6uXNWAo.png

Existing:

NYY/NYM

BOS/PHI

WAS/BAL

TB/MIA

CLE/CIN

CHW/CHC

MIN/MIL

KC/STL

TEX/HOU

LAA/LAD

OAK/SF

SEA/SD

New:

TOR/ATL

DET/PIT

AZ/COL

I couldn't agree more.

Rearrange it all you want I guess, though not really I like MLB the way it is today. But for the love of God I hope they drop any ideas about adding the DH to the NL. Part of what makes the NL the superior league is that the managers actually have to manage. Double switches are one of the best parts of the game. And more importantly it was the way the game was meant to be played. The DH is a later perversion of the game. If they want uniformity, dump it completely.

I couldn't agree more.

Rearrange it all you want I guess, though not really I like MLB the way it is today. But for the love of God I hope they drop any ideas about adding the DH to the NL. Part of what makes the NL the superior league is that the managers actually have to manage. Double switches are one of the best parts of the game. And more importantly it was the way the game was meant to be played. The DH is a later perversion of the game. If they want uniformity, dump it completely.

I completely agree on your point on the DH. The game of baseball was not meant to have players "designated" for just hitting, or just pitching.

25yzwqg.png

So in other words, clean house except for Starlin Castro.

100% agreed.

Too many unmovable contracts. Z and Soriano aren't going anywhere, and Dempster isn't going anywhere either unless the Cubs are willing to eat the majority of his deal.

A hitter who consistently hits under .200 is not good baseball.

A fat, old, fossilized juicer who can't field a lick is not good baseball.

Because the NL CERTAINTLY doesn't have any power hitters who can't play a position. Sticking those players in the field is worse than a DH.

Just one more decision the manager has to make.

I'm getting really, really tired of Cubs fans around facebook telling me that I should cheer up because of Epstein. As if somehow now all the team's troubles are over and we should expect a title in a year or two.

fuknomx9.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Epstein is going to be tested in Chicago. In Boston he could make a bad decision and just throw more money at it. It will be interesting to see what kind of dollars he will be allowed to play with in Chicago. I'm not saying the guy can't do it with fewer dollars at his disposal. But he will have to change his game a little for the Cubs organization if he wants to see success.

ย 
ย 

It will be interesting to see what kind of dollars he will be allowed to play with in Chicago.

None, they're one of the poorest teams in the league now because the new owners ran out of money just buying the team.

โ™ซ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneย โ™ซ

It will be interesting to see what kind of dollars he will be allowed to play with in Chicago.

None, they're one of the poorest teams in the league now because the new owners ran out of money just buying the team.

Well...That's not good news then. It may take a few years to see anything significant then because a couple of bad contracts will be coming off the books.

ย 
ย 

Well...That's not good news then. It may take a few years to see anything significant then because a couple of bad contracts will be coming off the books.

The Hendry Hangover will be bad enough, but Epstein's had just as many stupid signings as Hendry did. Here's hoping he thinks ten steps ahead and rebuilds for a few years while Soriano and Z play out their horrific deals.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

A hitter who consistently hits under .200 is not good baseball.

A fat, old, fossilized juicer who can't field a lick is not good baseball.

Because the NL CERTAINTLY doesn't have any power hitters who can't play a position. Sticking those players in the field is worse than a DH.

I didn't specify a league. :P

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived