Hot Stove: MLB Offseason Thread

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Rangers indeed sign Darvish and can also sign Prince Fielder, they would have essentially matched the Angels this off-season. I know Darvish is somewhat of an unknown but I think C.J. Wilson is overpaid and I don't think he'll sustain top of the rotation stuff. Darvish could be a complete bust though so it's a pick your poison kind of thing. I remember I was really interested in Dice-K with his "gyroball"? but we all see how that ended up, but if Darvish is as expected he will be more valuable than Wilson.

Now with Pujols and Fielder, the Angels will have the better player for 4-5 more seasons(who knows) but Fielder is younger and less expensive. It would be nice to see this all come to fruition because it would be refreshing to have a (using words freely) new division rivalry talked about other than the same Red Sox/Yankees girlfriend/boyfriend stuff.

Here's the immediate thing, that's a lot of payroll to take on. Even with the report of a bid of over $50M, the team owes former general partner $25-30M, spent $12M on stadium improvements, and will have to deal with not only signing Darvish for this year, but Hamilton, Napoli, and Lewis are free agents a year from now. Kinsler has a $10M club option for 2013, Nelson Cruz has two year of arbitration so he is up in 2014. And then there is the thought of buying out Holland like the Rays do and Elvis.

Sadly for them their new cable contract does not start until 2015, too. So that is a difference of $60M/year from their existing contract. The team could get a "signing bonus" but won't equal the annual price from the new deal.

Well they tried signing Cliff Lee last year and C.J. Wilson this year(I don't know if signing Lee would of cooled them off on Wilson) so wouldn't these two moves come close in money. If they did pick up Fielder I think it would make Young expendable and they could move that money off the books. I know they tried last year with no takers but unless i'm mistaken he had a great season last year. But with the players you mentioned being resigned that does put them in a spot but like I was saying it seemed like they were prepared to spend big before. I really think that if the Rangers sign both they would be scary good....best in baseball. Fielder, Beltre, Hamilton, Cruz, Kinsler, and Napoli WOW....Darvish, Feldman, Hunter, Feliz then Adams and Nathan in the bullpen isn't shabby at all.

Really not going to happen, don't know why i'm even saying anything like this but it would be awesome for the Pirates to actually do something and throw Fielder some money. I honestly feel that if we would sign Fielder that we would be in play-offs next year....pipe dream but anyways with the Pirates I think we made some savvy moves and by aquiring Casey Maghee from the Brewers it looks like maybe Alvarez can live up to his potential. If he doesn't start producing I say see what kind of deal you could possibly get out of him, no need to make a desperate move but put feelers out there. I think with patience he will eventually achieve his potential but I think a team would overpay for him(dunno why I just think that).

I don't know about this by the Rangers. $51.7 million a year is a lot to pay a player.

They're not paying him $57MM a year. If that was the bid, then that's what they paid to negotiate. If they sign him to a contract, they're estimating about $100MM for however many years, that bid is included in that total. So they would only be paying 100 and not 157. If they fail to reach an agreement in the 30-day negotiation period, he goes back to Japan for next season and the Rangers pay nothing.

I don't know about this by the Rangers. $51.7 million a year is a lot to pay a player.

They're not paying him $57MM a year. If that was the bid, then that's what they paid to negotiate. If they sign him to a contract, they're estimating about $100MM for however many years, that bid is included in that total. So they would only be paying 100 and not 157. If they fail to reach an agreement in the 30-day negotiation period, he goes back to Japan for next season and the Rangers pay nothing.

So say they sign him for $100MM / 6 years (just pulling numbers out of my butt.) They still have to give $51.7MM to the Ham Fighters though, so for the first year, they'd be paying ~$68MM (though only $16.7 of that would go to the player.) No?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Anyone else a little mad that they said the bid was gonna be more than Dice-K's, like for me I was expecting a $60m bid, but it was just 600K more than Dice-K's.

Which then makes me more mad that the Yankees wouldnt just throw $52m out there to try and snatch him up. Some days I really miss Steinbrenner.

Nats are making moves. Gave up a ton to get Gonzales, but their lineup is filling out.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Its gonna be a looooong season for the Mets in that division.

Not enough 0's

Its going to be a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong season for the Mets

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived