Hot Stove: MLB Offseason Thread

Dexter Morgan

It will be interesting to see what kind of dollars he will be allowed to play with in Chicago.

None, they're one of the poorest teams in the league now because the new owners ran out of money just buying the team.

But hey, you (and baseball) showed that Mark Cuban bastard what was what. So there's that. :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all that's made about David Oritz and the Red Sox being seen as this offense first and only type team, they have a very good defense, so I don't think Epstein will have any issues adjusting to the NL, but even if that wasn't the case I still don't think the league adjustment would be any issue for him.

The biggest knock I have with Epstein is that I don't think he's adjusted well with how much the free agency market has changed. The '04 Red Sox will built up in large part because of free agency. Manny, Pedro, Damon, Mueller, Schilling, Foulke. These weren't career Red Sox players. But now I think its much more difficult to find guys like that on the free agent market because they just aren't there. Teams are giving big contracts out to young players now and making sure they don't go anywhere until they hit at least 30. You didn't see that back in '04. As a consequence I think its made it much tougher to "buy" a title now. The way you win now is by building up your farm system and keeping your top tier talent just like its pretty much always been. That's something I don't think the Red Sox have adjusted very well to. You can find role players in free agency, but its very hard to find foundation players now.

If Cubs fans have this expectation that Theo Epstein is going to come in and break the bank to sign all of these big time free agents that will get them a title, I think they will be very dissapointed. They need to rebuild first and foremost. They have a potential superstar in Starlin Castro but beyond that who else on that 25 man roster really jumps out at you as a piece that you can really build around? I don't see much and signing Albert Pujols isn't going to magically fix that either. Nor is it going to solve the fact that their starting rotation consists of Matt Garza and four other guys.

I'm just going to say buyer beware because if Red Sox ownership really felt like Theo Epstein meant that much to the success of the club, he'd still be the GM of the Red Sox. Epstein seemed to want to leave, but I didn't see this eagerness to keep Epstein like there was back in '05 the last time he threatened to quit.

Looks like Pads GM Hoyer will come to town to be Phantom Epstein for a year.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Looks like Pads GM Hoyer will come to town to be Phantom Epstein for a year.

Maybe, maybe not. Not sure why Hoyer would give up being the top dog to go back to being Epstein's lap dog. I think it's more likely one of Hoyer's 2 underlings takes the bait.

If Cubs fans have this expectation that Theo Epstein is going to come in and break the bank to sign all of these big time free agents that will get them a title, I think they will be very dissapointed. They need to rebuild first and foremost.

I think most fans are dying for this to happen. We've all seen how well bigtime free agent moves have worked out as the farm team suffers and internal structure disintegrates.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Not sure why Hoyer would give up being the top dog to go back to being Epstein's lap dog.

Well, here's a theory... Anything to get away from the Padres organization!

Because the Cubs are so much better?

Theo went there -- so probably, yeah.

6uXNWAo.png

Theo went there -- so probably, yeah.

103 years of suck says otherwise. Theo will be chewed up and spit out by the Cubs in under 5 years and they'll still have no world series win.

I like your list of arguments and presented evidence to validate this brash and jagged claim. Thanks for being awesome.

twitter

Tank, what's your thoughts on the Metsblog report that the Phils are considering going after Reyes? ^_^

I don't think it's gonna happen and they might be driving the price up for others (NY, SF, Milwaukee), but who knows...

Oswalt and Lidge had their options declined, which should come as a surprise to nobody.

Lidge I think is gone for sure especially if there's a team out there willing to give him a shot at the closer role, which I think there will be. I could see a team like Tampa Bay or Seattle taking a chance on him. Hell maybe even the Mets.

Oswalt I think has a better chance of coming back for less money. I know he's not a big fan of playing in Philly but if he wants a ring that's probably his best place to do it. I don't see any team out there signing him as a number one. A team like Texas or St. Louis might get involved, possibly Kansas City as a darkhorse, but I think he's going to have a pretty short list for where he'll want to go.

I know he's not a big fan of playing in Philly but if he wants a ring that's probably his best place to do it.

He had two cracks with the Phils, third time's a charm? The Phillies are getting older and the rest of the division is only getting better (Braves, Nats... heck, maybe even the Marlins with Gaby Sanchez and Logan Morrison and a healthy Josh Johnson).

I know he's not a big fan of playing in Philly but if he wants a ring that's probably his best place to do it.

He had two cracks with the Phils, third time's a charm? The Phillies are getting older and the rest of the division is only getting better (Braves, Nats... heck, maybe even the Marlins with Gaby Sanchez and Logan Morrison and a healthy Josh Johnson).

Think that's all the more reason why Philly needs to go for it now. This is as good as a team as they're ever going to get. Worry about rebuilding once its been decided the window is closed.

Think that's all the more reason why Philly needs to go for it now. This is as good as a team as they're ever going to get. Worry about rebuilding once its been decided the window is closed.

Ironic, isn't it? I hear Phillies fans deride the Yankees for spending all this money on big-name talent, and yet the Phils have the second-highest payroll in baseball.

There are too many holes to fill. Howard isn't going to be back until May or June, and might not be back into form until September. That's if the Phillies are still in contention. Utley's offense isn't what it used to be, Rollins's legs aren't what they used to be. Pence has no real protection in the lineup without Howard batting behind him. The bullpen is still suspect.

Go for broke now and mortgage the future. I guess that's the way it has to be now for the Phillies.

Archived