Dexter Morgan

Hot Stove: MLB Offseason Thread

From what I have seen of Zambrano, he has lost a good deal of velocity. I don't think he was throwing nearly as hard last year as in previous seasons, and his pitching got worse as a result. I mean, if he was winning 20 games and putting up an ERA of 2, he could kick the manager in the nut sack after each start and not get punished by the Cubs. Since he was not a good pitcher anymore, they would no longer tolerate his antics. He will definitely be comfortable with Ozzie in Miami, so that will help him. Stranger things have happened in baseball than Zambrano regaining his stuff, but I can't see him becoming a dominant pitcher again without consulting Barry Bonds first. However, if Ozzie really does keep him in check, I could see him being a solid 3rd or 4th starter who would give them innings.

Rodney goes to the Rays and is now certain to have a career season in 2012, with high strikeouts and limited walks.

Why? Because the Rays seem to get miracles out of every journeyman who comes to their bullpen.

and Miami is only responsible for $2.5M of Z's salary. Chicago still pays $15.5M NOT to employ him.

Rodney goes to the Rays and is now certain to have a career season in 2012, with high strikeouts and limited walks.

Why? Because the Rays seem to get miracles out of every journeyman who comes to their bullpen.

Pretty much. I mean, if Kyle Farnsworth can go from being the "white flag" of the Royals & Braves bullpen to doing what he did last year for Tampa, then I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Fernando Rodney somehow pull out another good season.

and Miami is only responsible for $2.5M of Z's salary. Chicago still pays $15.5M NOT to employ him.

Worth it, in the eyes of most Cubs fans and Theo.

No, it's not worth it. Chris Volstad isn't worth $18 million. Carlos Zambrano isn't either, but you might as well have ridden out the contract and let him eat innings.

No, it's not worth it. Chris Volstad isn't worth $18 million. Carlos Zambrano isn't either, but you might as well have ridden out the contract and let him eat innings.

BUT HEEZ UH CANSER N DUH CLUBHOUWS!!!1354

This is probably a prelude to paying Alfonso Soriano to play for someone else so that the Cubs can be bad without him instead of be bad with him. Because somehow this is better.

Looks like the Reds signed Ryan Madson

Cincy is clearly going for it for this year and next year and I can't say I blame because as I said about a month ago the core of that team is about as good as they're going to get.

You can only be a young team with the same group of guys for so long.

This is probably a prelude to paying Alfonso Soriano to play for someone else so that the Cubs can be bad without him instead of be bad with him. Because somehow this is better.

If you're going to dump contracts, you may as well dump every contract. Open up Soriano's outfield spot for somebody who plays at a similar level of suck for about $54 million less. The Cubs are taking 2012 off and using their moneys to wash their hands of Team Hendry, and I'm fine with that.

I really like that signing for the Reds. Madson had a tough go in the playoffs the last two seasons but he's a really solid pitcher. Not sure why the Phillies decided on Papelbon over him, unless the money was a lot less.

I really like that signing for the Reds. Madson had a tough go in the playoffs the last two seasons but he's a really solid pitcher. Not sure why the Phillies decided on Papelbon over him, unless the money was a lot less.

It was only a one year deal but it was over $10 million.

The Phillies were willing to give Madson a long term deal as well for a little bit less then what they gave Papelbon, so its very likely he could have wound up holding out for less money. He probably got close to what he was looking to get paid this year, but relievers are a fleeting bunch. He could be complete crap in two years (seen better relievers go down like that) which is where its going to cost him some major bucks if nobody signs him for a similar deal to what he got this year.

The story was that the Phillies preferred papelbon the whole time, but Madson had 4/44 on the table and walked away from it figuring he'd get more somewhere. Guarantee he regrets that now, both from a financial perspective and a team perspective.

FWIW Amaro said the 4/$44M was never offered. I think their initial research indicated that both closers were looking for the same amount, so they went for the guy that's one of the 5 best in the game (despite the Baltimore meltdown in game 162) instead of the guy that stumbled into the spot due to injuries/youth/Lidge and did surprisingly OK. The 1-yr deal allows him to re-enter FA next offseason when the closer class isn't as good...

FWIW Amaro said the 4/$44M was never offered. I think their initial research indicated that both closers were looking for the same amount, so they went for the guy that's one of the 5 best in the game (despite the Baltimore meltdown in game 162) instead of the guy that stumbled into the spot due to injuries/youth/Lidge and did surprisingly OK. The 1-yr deal allows him to re-enter FA next offseason when the closer class isn't as good...

I think you're underselling Madson there. I don't think he "stumbled" into the spot. He would have been the closer earlier due to Lidge's struggles but IMO the Phillies didn't want to re-sign him at closer dollars so they held him back. He was rock solid as a set up guy, and then, despite his struggles as a part time closer, really looked good in there once he got the job full time. For the same dollars I guess I'm fine with picking Papelbon, but I'd have been perfectly fine with keeping Madson.

I'm sure one year at $10 mil isn't what Madson had in mind when he hit the market, and certainly not what he had in mind after seeing Papelbon go for that ridiculous contract.