Hot Stove: MLB Offseason Thread

Dexter Morgan

Nats signed Gio Gonzalez to a 4 year deal. Can any A's or AL West fans gimme a scouting report on this guy? I know he was an all star but thats about all I know.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nats signed Gio Gonzalez to a 4 year deal. Can any A's or AL West fans gimme a scouting report on this guy? I know he was an all star but thats about all I know.

Very good power pitcher with some control issues from what I've seen out of him. Its going to give the Nats the closest thing they have to a number one starter right now.

They're going to have a very solid staff this year but they're still missing that front end guy they're hoping Strasburg will ultimately be.

Its probably about 50/50 between Gonzalez or Strasburg on who will be the number one starter for majority of the season. Really depends on how much Washington is willing to push Strasburg. I think this deal may put them over the top for being legit playoff contenders this year.

Gio definitely helps. They now have a very good top 3 in their rotation (Strasburg, Gonzalez, Zimmermann). I think being in the Wild Card discussion in September is a possibility for this team. 2013 is the year which Washington will push though. This year is just a preview of what's to come in DC.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Gio definitely helps. They now have a very good top 3 in their rotation (Strasburg, Gonzalez, Zimmermann). I think being in the Wild Card discussion in September is a possibility for this team. 2013 is the year which Washington will push though. This year is just a preview of what's to come in DC.

If we get Prince? (to me thats a long shot but the rumors are there)

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

I'm not expecting Prince. The Nats don't need Prince. I think the Nationals are playoff contenders in 2013 as is.

*That's not to say that I wouldn't want Prince on the Nationals, but if signing him hamstrings the team for the future (i.e prevents the team from re-signing Zimmerman, Strasburg, Harper, etc.), I don't want Prince.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

He has one of the worst walk rates in the majors, and his first-pitch strike rate is poor, so there's definitely control issues. However, his past two seasons compare favorably among the early careers of guys like Tim Linceum, Clayton Kershaw, Josh Johnson, etc. Even if his control doesn't improve, Gonzalez is probably a +2.5-3 win pitcher.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I'm not expecting Prince. The Nats don't need Prince. I think the Nationals are playoff contenders in 2013 as is.

*That's not to say that I wouldn't want Prince on the Nationals, but if signing him hamstrings the team for the future (i.e prevents the team from re-signing Zimmerman, Strasburg, Harper, etc.), I don't want Prince.

If it hamstrings them from signing Zimmerman than I agree with you. I think there might be other issues (just my opinion on those players) that would prevent them from signing Strasburg and Harper (like the latters fandom of the Yankees).

To be honest, the Lerners have the money to compete with any team in this league. Its if they trust their baseball people on their valuation of players to throw money at (like Jason Werth for example). I think thats the biggest issue. "SHOULD we throw big money at Ryan Zimmerman?" Rather than will they.

Victor Martinez out for 2012 with torn ACL. Tigers need Cespedes now.

May put the Tigers in the race to get Prince Fielder.

This is a team now in desperate need of another bat that is also ready to win now.

I can't see it. I don't think either Fielder or Miggy would want to DH so I personally think that's a longshot. I am thinking they sign either Pena or Damon to DH on a 1 year deal. Neither would be as good as VMart but the free agent options are limited at this point in the offseason.

NHA - Kelowna Kodiaks - .455 winning percentage
Season 4: 13-26-11 3rd Smythe
Season 5: 21-21-8 2nd Smythe
Season 6: 16-30-4 4th Smythe

Season 7: 26-17-7 1st Norris - lost in 1st round

This is a team now in desperate need of another bat that is also ready to win now.

While I'm not a Tigers' fan, I think it'd be cool if they signed Vlad to DH....unless they'd like to take Bobby Abreu off the Angels' hands.

(Note: Being a Lions' and Wings' fan, I do like the Tigers...just not nearly as much as the Angels)

I can't see it. I don't think either Fielder or Miggy would want to DH so I personally think that's a longshot. I am thinking they sign either Pena or Damon to DH on a 1 year deal. Neither would be as good as VMart but the free agent options are limited at this point in the offseason.

Probably not giong to happen but they should look into it at least. I don't think you can justify a .260 hitter with little to no power like Damon as your DH. Pena might be a little better option.

Also Magglio is not signed but maybe that''s going to be their answer.

While I'm not a Tigers' fan, I think it'd be cool if they signed Vlad to DH....unless they'd like to take Bobby Abreu off the Angels' hands.

(Note: Being a Lions' and Wings' fan, I do like the Tigers...just not nearly as much as the Angels)

Losing Victor is huge. He was the glue that kept that team together last year.

With that being said, I'd love Vlad. He's easily been one of my favorite players over the last 15 years, and he can still swing the bat a little. Putting him in Comerica with all that room would really help him have a nice year next year.

Joel Zumaya signs with the Twins.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120115&content_id=26355614&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

When I saw the price I was like that's a steal! I understand he has not been that great but why did he get signed for only $800,000?

Because even though he can throw 100+ mph, right now he is only hitting like 91-94. Plus he didn't play at all last year, and pretty much has been injured every year before that.

It looks like it's getting to be closer to official that the Twins will host the 2014 ASG:

http://eye-on-baseball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/34352605

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Archived