Hot Stove: MLB Offseason Thread

Dexter Morgan

Why is even Oakland wanting to sign him? Look at him last year in Tampa, he sucked so bad that he couldn't hit crack. Oakland could use that money to get young players like we do in Tampa. If they sign him, this would be easily the worst signing of this offseason and beyond. Oakland should be develop their farm system so they can compete with Texas and LA Angels of Anaheim. At least, they're better than Seattle.

It's only 500k. That's not going to make much of a difference, and certainly won't put Man Ram in the conversation for worst signings in the offseason.

spacer.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plus they picked up Cespedes in one of the biggest coups of the offseason, so I guess they're like "We've already got a bajillion OFs, what could Manny hurt?"

He'll most certainly play as DH.

I don't know how this is going to work out, but let's just say that if Beane really knows what he's doing here, we could be looking at "Moneyball 2: A Decade Later". :wink2:

25yzwqg.png

This is a low-risk, mid-reward deal for the A's. Kinda like the Frank Thomas deal a few years ago. And that was a fantastic signing for Oakland. Either Manny plays well and this looks like a steal or he sucks/doesn't play at all and everyone forgets this contract at the end of the year.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

The only thing the Manny deal tells me is that nobody is really that interested in him and he needs money or has no clue with what to do with himself outside of baseball, or possibly a combination of the two.

The A's are getting a gate attraction more then anything else. This deal in no way shape or form makes them better then the Angels or Rangers or even gets them close. This is still a team that will be lucky to win 75 games this year. But they need something to peak the average fan's interest, right now they really have nothing, so it will at least help them in that regard. I wouldn't expect much out of Manny especially in that ballpark. If he can hit .260 and belt around 20 home runs I'd say the deal is a success. That's best case scenairo I see for him. Worst case scenairo he gets frustrated in mid-July once he realizes the team is going nowhere and basically shuts down for the rest of the season in which case the A's will have no reservations about releasing him.

I wouldn't call this a genius move on the part of Billy Beane and I'm not really sure why people are calling it that either. Its simply a low risk move mid level reward move by the A's to try and draw some attention to them. Its not going to make them contendors and its pretty likely this is only going to last one year.

Archived