Tim E. NHL series

TimEOBrien

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winnipeg:

WinniJetsLogoSet_1.jpg

The newest team in the NHL got a pretty good look for year one, but I still believe their logos and identity could be improved upon. Above, you can see my logo edits where I remove the maple leaf from both logos and drop the ultra-schitty wordmark in favor of a red jet that echoes the maple leaf on the original roundel, rather than imitate it.

The jerseys are inspired by military aviation imagery, especially the numeral font and Third jersey.

While some have argued that the Jet on the pants looks like it's crashing, I would argue that since the shorts end well above ice level, the expert pilot has plenty of time to pull out of this controlled dive maneuver and not harm himself. Also, it's a design element and the plane isn't real, get over it (plus, I can't flip the stripe upside-down or else you'd never see the plane 'cause of the jersey overlapping).

HOME

Jets_REwH_H_1.jpg

ROAD

Jets_REwH_R_1.jpg

THIRD

Jets_REwH_T_1.jpg

Winter Classic:

Vintage White in tha house!

OK, so I'm not the biggest vintage white fan in the world but I have reasons for doing this this time. First, with the Rangers, their WC logo is in vintage white, so I assume that their unis will be too. I used the colors from that logo but Washington, last year, proved that white white can look amazing with a nice red and blue.

For the Flyers explanation, it's basically this: I wanted to make this uniform a throwback to the Flyers' history, but there just isn't much to go from, so the vintage white just contrasts with the regular uniform that much better.

Now both unis throwback to the earliest versions of both of these classic sweaters (though, the TV numbers on the Rangers are from the second iteration of their white uni) and both are NNOB.

Finally, I decided to go with an orange helmet for the Flyers because it's just fun.

BOTH

WinterClassic_REwH_12_1.jpg

PHILADELPHIA

Flyers_REwH_WC_1.jpg

NEW YORK

Rangers_REwH_WC_1.jpg

Smashville:

-Great job, love the blue alt

-BUT I like their current numbers a lot better

Jets:

-Font is really good

-I see you wanted to get rid of the maple leaf, but now there's too much negative space. I'd put something there to fill up some of the space

Winter Classic:

-They're not bad uniforms, but I loathe vintage white, so I won't comment

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The pant striping designs for Winnipeg are the best thing I have ever seen you make! Although, why did have the planes flying downward instead of upward?

If I just flip the jet, the contrail effect with the stripes is lost. If I flip everything, the Jet will be hidden by the players' jerseys.

The pant striping designs for Winnipeg are the best thing I have ever seen you make! Although, why did have the planes flying downward instead of upward?

If I just flip the jet, the contrail effect with the stripes is lost. If I flip everything, the Jet will be hidden by the players' jerseys.

That makes sense. Either way, fantastic job.

spacer.png

I'd go with something a bit more authentic for the numerals on the Jets. There are many great numerals that can be lifted straight from aircraft to go on the jersey.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Philadelphia:

Philly made a good move by going back to a more traditional design in recent years and while some people detest the conflicting-color nameplates, I love 'em. When I bring back a black third into the set, I keep the conflicting-color nameplate and make the helmet orange.

HOME

Flyers_REwH_H_1.jpg

ROAD

Flyers_REwH_R_1.jpg

THIRD

Flyers_REwH_T_1.jpg

Winter Classic - see above

Rangers:

The Rangers have some of the best unis in the NHL, plus great tradition to back them up. Once again, I don't change much on the Home or Road unis, but I did make a few tweaks and I added a fauxback (read: added sleeve numbers and number outlines) to their original Stanley Cup winning team.

HOME

Rangers_REwH_H_1.jpg

ROAD

Rangers_REwH_R_1.jpg

THIRD

Rangers_REwH_T_1.jpg

Winter Classic - see above

Archived