Alternate Jersey...Team with Rich Heritage question

uuh70

What do you guys think of teams with "Rich Heritages" having alternate uniforms. A lot of people I know say teams like the Brewers or the A's can have as many alternates as they please but teams like the Yankees or Dodgers shouldn't, and ive usually agreed with them but then i saw the red sox use an alternate the past few years and realized i still think of the red sox as a team with having a rich heritage and them wearing a red or navy top once a week doesnt change that. Just like how the dodgers last wore an alternate in 1999 and even though they did the throwback jersey this yr it was still an alternate in my mind because they did it more than once didnt change the fact their the dodgers and they have a rich history. what do you guys think about this? Would the Yankees or Tigers having a navy top really be considered Blasphemy???? I think not

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

In baseball, tradition is very important. I understand that. I personally think that the Yankees uniform is a classic. How can you change a uniform that has been worn by Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, and Joe Dimaggio? How can you change that famous Tigers 'D' on the front of a clean white uniform that has been work by Ty Cobb, Joe Jackson, and the late, great, Harmon Killebrew? That's why there's alternates. While I hate that the real purpose of alternates are $$$, no one cany deny that that do add variety, they offer the people more choices, they offer the players more choices, and in the end, don't we want our team to look good? Let's face it, some teams just don't look good in a plain gray uniform. If I had it my way, I'd keep our white homes and go to dark jerseys on the road. If you want to distinguish the road team from the home team, what better way to do it? There's no reason anymore to have a gray jersey for the road. We have washing machines in our homes now for goodness sake. Also, it would allow for more creative alternate jerseys. In the NHL, alternate jerseys are mostly(well except for the powder blue, vintage white, lace-collar fiasco that some teams do) different in some form from the primaries, whether it be the striping pattern, or a whole new crest logo(well...mostly roundels :rolleyes: ). In MLB however, an alternate is usually just a full-color jersey with the same script in white or the team's secondary color. It will open up creativity and allow for a wide range of color schemes. When you think about it, dark jerseys work on the road because most darker alternates are worn on the road. It's common place that a bright uniform is wron with white pants, while a darker alternate is worn on the road with gray pants. That's why it was such a surprise when the Athletics started wearing their yellow alternate on the road. That's my view. Either the Yankees and Tigers should have alternates, or teams should wear dark jerseys on the road.

By the way, while I'm on the topic, MLB should have instant replay. What it's going to slow down the game? Nah, I think the mound visits and excessive pickoff throws do a good job of that. Why ruin history and miss a blatantly obvious call for the sake of preserving history? It doesn't make sense. Take advantage of the technology. Football didn't use instant replay until the 1990s and they didn't have a huge commotion about it. Hockey uses cameras placed at the goal line to see if the puck went in or not. Basketball has the sensor that activates a light if the ball went through. Horse racing has the photo finish. Swimming has the camera mounted on the wall. Baseball should have instant replay! Coaches should have two challenges. What's the point of arguing a call if you're never going to have it overturned? To fire up your team? Pffft, you know what fires up a team? Getting a call that blew a rally overturned! Oh boy, our manager sacrificed himself for us! Yay! Now all we have to do is get two more runs with 2 outs/nobody on. Are you kidding me?

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

The Cardinals have a Sunday alternate hat which has the one bird on the bat logo instead of the STL logo.

I could MAYBE see them having a red Sunday alternate jersey for use on the road to mix it up from the grey. Of course they wouldn't always be able to wear it against teams wearing red alternates. Perhaps it could have a St. Louis script on it that many people here would like to see on their roads. I say Sunday because I wouldn't want the Cardinals doing what some teams do in allowing the starting pitcher to pick the jersey.

However, IMHO they should only wear white at home.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

How can you change that famous Tigers 'D' on the front of a clean white uniform that has been work by Ty Cobb, Joe Jackson, and the late, great, Harmon Killebrew?

Harmon Killebrew never wore the famous Tigers "D."

Neither did Shoeless Joe.

It was early...This is legendary. This topic has been bombarded with fail since the minute it was posted. Captain piratesfan16 at work.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

By the way, while I'm on the topic, MLB should have instant replay. What it's going to slow down the game? Nah, I think the mound visits and excessive pickoff throws do a good job of that. Why ruin history and miss a blatantly obvious call for the sake of preserving history? It doesn't make sense. Take advantage of the technology. Football didn't use instant replay until the 1990s and they didn't have a huge commotion about it. Hockey uses cameras placed at the goal line to see if the puck went in or not. Basketball has the sensor that activates a light if the ball went through. Horse racing has the photo finish. Swimming has the camera mounted on the wall. Baseball should have instant replay! Coaches should have two challenges. What's the point of arguing a call if you're never going to have it overturned? To fire up your team? Pffft, you know what fires up a team? Getting a call that blew a rally overturned! Oh boy, our manager sacrificed himself for us! Yay! Now all we have to do is get two more runs with 2 outs/nobody on. Are you kidding me?

You have never played baseball have you, that is an idiotic statement. Of course the manager getting tossed fires up the team, have you ever even been to a game when the manager gets tossed it even fires up the fans!

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Unlike a lot of people, I like when "traditional" teams switch it up a little bit. Just because you have a traditional look doesn't necessarily mean that wearing an alternate every once in a while is a bad thing. I loved these:

1195836630_9dd2b684a7_o.pngpark_display_image.jpg

lyt91yqgb37tv2auexddonqll.gif

BDD_3.15_JP_ap.jpg

I can't find a picture, but on Labor Day 1999, the Cardinals wore a very sharp red alternate that they then raffled off.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

BDD_3.15_JP_ap.jpg

I can tolerate that green Red Sox jersey only because it's (usually) worn in Spring Training and no one sees it anyway.

They did wear it twice during the regular season, though. The Red Sox' first home game following Celtics' great Red Auerbach's death, and the Sox' first home game following the Celtics' 17th Championship.

spacer.png

I don't know why, but I'd have a big problem seeing the Yankees or Dodgers in alternate uniforms. I don't really like those teams, but I do love their uniform history.

Likewise, I don't know why, but I'd love to see the Cardinals and Red Sox in alternate uniforms. The Cardinals wearing red jerseys and the Red Sox wearing blue or red jerseys would be really nice.

As for the Tigers, I'd hate to see them wear anything but the traditional uniforms at home. But I'd like to see them wear blue jerseys on the road. I guess I say that because their road uniforms aren't as traditional as their home uniforms.

You have never played baseball have you, that is an idiotic statement. Of course the manager getting tossed fires up the team, have you ever even been to a game when the manager gets tossed it even fires up the fans!

Haha, look at my picture. I play baseball. My point is, if a manager is going to argue a call for no reason, the players and fans are getting fired up for nothing. There's a difference in way Head Coaches handle officials in the NFL from the way managers handle it in MLB. If we'd have more instatnt replay and challenges, there'd be another reason to argue a call. This whole ejection thing is a sideshow, just like the fighting in the NHL. What ever happened to beating them with checks and hard hits? Now it's all: *push* *push* Hey, wanna go at it? No? *pushs harder with stick* *slashes* *drops gloves*...Heck, players can't even look an umpire wrong nowadays without fear of ejection. Baseball can be plenty exciting without all of the useless fake ejections.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

I don't know why, but I'd have a big problem seeing the Yankees or Dodgers in alternate uniforms. I don't really like those teams, but I do love their uniform history.

Likewise, I don't know why, but I'd love to see the Cardinals and Red Sox in alternate uniforms. The Cardinals wearing red jerseys and the Red Sox wearing blue or red jerseys would be really nice.

As for the Tigers, I'd hate to see them wear anything but the traditional uniforms at home. But I'd like to see them wear blue jerseys on the road. I guess I say that because their road uniforms aren't as traditional as their home uniforms.

Already done. And they're some of my least favorite Red Sox jerseys.

andrew_miller.jpg

LouMerloni.jpg (except for some reason I really like this one)

pedroia-and-youkilis.jpg

This isn't even their current home alternate, their current one has no trim.

spacer.png

As for the Red Sox, I liked the old red alternate. Now that they dropped the trim I hate it. Also I think it needs a red hat to go along with it. I actually like the blue alternate, pretty sharp looking jersey IMO.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

As for the Red Sox, I liked the old red alternate. Now that they dropped the trim I hate it. Also I think it needs a red hat to go along with it. I actually like the blue alternate, pretty sharp looking jersey IMO.

I actually have an old alternate replica jersey somewhere. I used to lake those jerseys a lot, but since the redesign with no trim, I just hate them both.

That is how bad the new home alt is.

spacer.png

Archived