Dan Wheldon Dead @33

capitalcanuck

That is about the worst crash I have ever seen in racing.

This. I mean, in NASCAR you get these 15 car pileups at the restrictor plate tracks, but not for nothing most of those impacts aren't that bad and not as violent as, say, a car getting turned into the grass and flipping over. This crash though was 15 cars in open wheel cars and I saw at least 3 or 4 cars flying on top of one another with cars going on fire and everything. Absolutely terrible.

My thoughts and prayers are with Dan Wheldon, but unfortunately things aren't looking good right now :(

Well in NASCAR there is much more protection, in open wheel racing this is as bad as things get.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is about the worst crash I have ever seen in racing.

This. I mean, in NASCAR you get these 15 car pileups at the restrictor plate tracks, but not for nothing most of those impacts aren't that bad and not as violent as, say, a car getting turned into the grass and flipping over. This crash though was 15 cars in open wheel cars and I saw at least 3 or 4 cars flying on top of one another with cars going on fire and everything. Absolutely terrible.

My thoughts and prayers are with Dan Wheldon, but unfortunately things aren't looking good right now :(

Well in NASCAR there is much more protection, in open wheel racing this is as bad as things get.

That too. When you have a huge multi-car crash in open wheel racing, there's very little that can protect you in a big crash. The high amount of injuries compared to other forms of fendered racing also reflects that.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Just turned on the race. It's not looking good! My heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to him and is family right now. Being a fan of Indy and actually being up close here at the Mile, I feel a little bit of a personal connection to all the drivers.

packchampionslfroh.png

I hate to say this...I mean, at this time I REALLY hate to say this...but Indycar just can't seem to get out of it's own way. I know this is basically the most dangerous form of racing, but with Danica going out today, this was supposed to be a big event for them and then this horrible crash upends that. Let us not forget that 10 years ago, when ALL U.S. based sports took a halt the weekend after 9/11, Indycar (albeit CART at that time) decided to race anyway (in Germany)and former champion Alex Zanardi lost both legs in a crash.

98Falcons.png

Archived