MY City Multi-Sport Contest

AnythingChicago

I know what you're thinking: "not another contest". :grin: The only reason I'm starting the thread now is to receive as many applicants as possible. Here are the rules:

You must create full uniform concepts for 4 teams in each of the major sports (baseball, hockey, basketball, and football) in a city of your choice. You may do colleges, but the city you choose must have at least 2 pro teams, and you must do a concept for at least 2 pro teams, and no more than 2 college teams. For example, if I were to choose the city of Cincinnati, I could do a Reds concept, an Xavier hockey concept, a Cincinnati basketball concept, and a Bengals concept. However, the teams you choose must be of the city (or near suburbs, such as Rays=Tampa) you choose. As in if you choose Chicago, you cannot include the Fighting Illini in any of your concepts. The teams you plan on doing must be posted here by sport, and will be confirmed or denied by either capitalcanuck or me. You may do the same city as someone else. But you may not use a concept for this contest that has already been posted on the CCSLC in any way, shape, or form.

Sports will be done in this order, and there will be no more than one sport going on at once:

• MLB (or NCAA baseball)
  • NHL (or NCAA hockey)
  • NBA (or NCAA basketball)
  • NFL (or NCAA football)

Each sport will see divisions split up into college and pro divisions. 2 separate polls will be opened for voting, and vote tallies will determine standings (which will not be split up into divisions). However, if one of the divisions is lacking participants, the polls may be combined.

As stated in the subtitle, capitalcanuck is the co-host of this competition (it was his idea for this contest, but he chose me to run it). He will be in charge of all graphics, and anything he says in terms of rules, deadlines, or any other announcement goes. In other words, he has as much authority as I do. He may even post the concepts if I need him to.

No more than 15 applicants will be accepted. You must at least have a home and road uniform for each team (and as many or as less alternates as you wish). The deadline for applications is Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 11:59 PM EST, and the deadline for submitting baseball concepts is Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 11:59 PM EST. If you apply, you must create a concept for each of your city's teams.

If you have any questions, ask them here.

======================================================================================================

Scores3.png

ROUND 1 - BASEBALL

1. Baltimore Orioles (AnythingChicago)

From the designer: Please note that these uniforms were designed before the Orioles unveiled their 2012 uniform and logo changes. Also note that the back panel to the white cap would be black à la their 2012 home cap.

2. Arizona Diamondbacks (capitalcanuck)

3. Chicago Cubs (Chapeeko)

4. Toledo Mud Hens (drdougfresh)

From the designer: The Mud Hens are the Tigers' MiLB affiliate, and as such, I felt they would benefit from a less childish color scheme (primary colors). After thinking about it a little bit, I decided to carry over the Tigers' color scheme, and add Warm Gray as a color for the Mud Hens, as it is a much more fitting color for the animal the team is named after. Orange adds sharpness to the uniforms, and makes for a lively alternate. A feather still makes the cross on the letter 'E' on the wordmark on the front of the jerseys.

5. Detroit Tigers (Griffinmarlins)

6. Anaheim Angels (Fox)

7. Tampa Bay Rays (mbannon92)

8. Baltimore Orioles (Moseph) Home; road; alt

9. Colorado Rockies (rsaline)

10. Pittsburgh Pirates (SFGiants58) - Logos; uniforms

11. New York Mets (Silent Wind of Doom)

12. Portland Pilots (StuckeyDuck)

65976419.png

ROUND 2 - HOCKEY

1. UMBC Retrievers (AnythingChicago)

2. Chicago Blackhawks (Chapeeko)

3. Windsor Spitfires (drdougfresh)

From the designer: I wanted to add a color to the Spitfires' scheme to pull them away from the Capitals (who they practically mirror right now), so I settled on a vintage white/gold. I added some of that to the primary logo to give it some life as well. Pretty straightforward here in terms of the jerseys. I updated the Renaud memorial patch to reflect how many years it has been since his passing (3 stars), and simplified it a bit. I placed this on all of the jerseys. The alternate is a fauxback of sorts-- the Spits haven't had a great uniform history, but I really liked their 1971-1975 logo, so I took that and used it as the base for this jersey.

4. Detroit Red Wings (Griffinmarlins)

5. Anaheim Ducks (Fox)

From the designer: This is the first hockey concept I've ever attempted. I picked the green and orange color scheme because I think it's an underused, awesome color scheme, that would be perfect for the Ducks. The logos that I used WERE NOT completely made by me. I used logos from the Quad City Mallards of the CHL.

The logo on the primary home and road sweaters is not only a duck holding a hockey stick, but it also forms an "A", which stands for Anaheim. The logo on the alternate sweater is a nod to the classic ducks logo, with a duck mask with interlocking hockey sticks behind it.

6. Tampa Bay Lightning (mbannon92)

7. Washington Capitals (Moseph)

8. Denver Pioneers (rsaline) Logos; home; away; home alt

From the designer: "For those of you who don't know, Denver University is a top-notch private school known athletically for their elite hockey team. They have won 4 NCAA Division-I Championships and welcome athletes from not only the entire nation, but also the world. In the college hockey world, DU is known for their fundamental style of play. For this reason. The jerseys are simple, nothing outrageous or off-the-wall, but also modernized to help relate to the youthful and energetic play the Pioneers provide for the city of Denver."

9. Pittsburgh Penguins (SFGiants58)

10. New York Islanders (Silent Wind of Doom)

May Round 2 begin! And thanks to drdougfresh for the awesome graphic. You'll notice that the typeface on SFGiants58's row is a little bit pixelated. That's because I had to do a tiny bit of recoloring on Paint to get rid of StuckeyDuck and capitalcanuck's row.

ROUND 3 - BASKETBALL

1. Towson Tigers (AnythingChicago)

2. Miami Heat (DolphinManatee)

3. Eastern Michigan Eagles (drdougfresh)

From the designer: I wanted to keep EMU simple and clean. I went with basic uniforms for them, with the biggest changes coming in the addition of a black alt (actually a school color, it's in the logo prominently anyway), a customized typeface, and an updated, "cleaner" Swoop (mascot). Nothing over-the-top, just a clean look.

4. Michigan State Spartans (Griffinmarlins)

5. Los Angeles Lakers (Fox)

From the designer: I got the idea for a stripe and circle for the uniforms number about a week ago and have been eager to use it. While I was originally supposed to make a Clippers concept, it didn't look very good for them and I decided that it would work better with the scripts of the Lakers. At first, I tried to include yellow as well. However, compared to only purple and white, all of the looks that included yellow looked far inferior. While the Lakers in purple and white and this striping pattern is very unrealistic, I though it looked great as a concept. Try to think of them as an expansion team. The logo on top is an update of their classic, yet dated primary logo. Enjoy!

6. South Florida Bulls (mbannon92)

7. Maryland Terrapins (Moseph)

From the designer: It might be hard to tell, but the collars on the home and away jerseys and the entire alternate set have a turtle shell pattern. Also, I didn't get the stripes mixed up on the shorts, I reversed them to resemble the Maryland flag.

8. Denver Nuggets (rsaline) Logos; home; away; alt

9. Pittsburgh Prowlers (SFGiants58)

10. Brooklyn Knights (Silent Wind of Doom)

Good luck to all.

ROUND 4 - FOOTBALL

1. Baltimore Ravens (AnythingChicago)

From the designer: I wanted to imitate the real color of a raven, which is black with a purple glisten, while incorporating the Maryland flag colors. These uniforms would be unique because, just like an actual raven, the uniforms would look more black than purple at night, but more purple than black during the day.

Actual raven for reference.

2. Florida International Golden Panthers (DolphinManatee): Logos; uniforms

From the designer:

This concept utilizes the current blue and gold color scheme with "green" (as the school called it) as an accent color. I made sure I had the right colors. The "green" comes from the previous logo. The main logo is a combination of the current logo and the previous logo. I tried to keep this simple enough, but unique enough so it does not resemble the the college Dan Marino played for. Oh, and sorry for the small uniform image, I could not figure out how to make it larger.

P.S., this is the college I am 99% sure I am going to attend.

3. Detroit Lions (Griffinmarlins)

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (mbannon92)

5. Washington Redskins (Moseph)

6. Denver Broncos (rsaline) Logos; home; away; home alt; away alt.

7. Pittsburgh Steelers (SFGiants58)

8. Army Black Knights (Silent Wind of Doom)

From the designer:

The first alternate is a special event uniform based off the cadet dress uniform at West Point.

Thanks to everyone who participated in all four rounds, and good luck.

25yzwqg.png

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea behind this concept, but I feel like a lot of teams or cities will be excluded due to the geographical limitations or the types of teams that play in the area. There are a TON of colleges and universities that are based in very small town areas. These will become excluded simply by their geography. Just thinking of SEC schools in general: Auburn, AL, Gainesville, FL, Athens, GA, Tuscaloosa, AL, Knoxville, TN, Columbia, SC, Lexington, KY, Fayettevile, AR, Starkville, MS, Oxford, MS, Baton Rouge, LA. Nashville, TN might be just about the only city in the SEC where the school could be applicable and still fit the other requirements of 2 professional teams in the same city. None of the other cities work.

Also, there are going to be a bunch of cities simply based on geography that don't fit the bill on every sport. Hockey in the south? Maybe club hockey, but I've got a feeling there are going to be a TON of towns in the south that simply do not have NCAA sanctioned hockey. I couldn't do Atlanta. Baseball: Braves (or Georgia Tech), Football: Falcons (or Georgia State, Georgia Tech), Basketball: Hawks (or Tech, State), Hockey: No more Thrashers, no NCAA Tech hockey, no State hockey, not even Emory hockey. Just an example. I feel like there will be a lot of areas that are simply impossible to use because they can't fill the guidelines.

I like the potential for this contest, but I feel like the guidelines might need to be thought out more. Maybe make it more regionalized? Or by state? There are a lot of states that only have one team in the respective sports. I know California has got a plethora of baseball clubs, but in other states there are only one team. So regardless of if you live in the northern part of the state, or the southern part, they're still your team (ex. Atlanta Braves).

Thoughts?

I like the idea behind this concept, but I feel like a lot of teams or cities will be excluded due to the geographical limitations or the types of teams that play in the area. There are a TON of colleges and universities that are based in very small town areas. These will become excluded simply by their geography. Just thinking of SEC schools in general: Auburn, AL, Gainesville, FL, Athens, GA, Tuscaloosa, AL, Knoxville, TN, Columbia, SC, Lexington, KY, Fayettevile, AR, Starkville, MS, Oxford, MS, Baton Rouge, LA. Nashville, TN might be just about the only city in the SEC where the school could be applicable and still fit the other requirements of 2 professional teams in the same city. None of the other cities work.

Also, there are going to be a bunch of cities simply based on geography that don't fit the bill on every sport. Hockey in the south? Maybe club hockey, but I've got a feeling there are going to be a TON of towns in the south that simply do not have NCAA sanctioned hockey.

I like the potential for this contest, but I feel like the guidelines might need to be thought out more. Maybe make it more regionalized? Or by state? There are a lot of states that only have one team in the respective sports. I know California has got a plethora of baseball clubs, but in other states there are only one team. So regardless of if you live in the northern part of the state, or the southern part, they're still your team (ex. Atlanta Braves).

Thoughts?

i know that its YOUR city, town, state: pros minors college dosent matter MY city name is a play off of this city song by patrick stump but it could be anything sports in YOUR city

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

Also, there are going to be a bunch of cities simply based on geography that don't fit the bill on every sport. Hockey in the south? Maybe club hockey, but I've got a feeling there are going to be a TON of towns in the south that simply do not have NCAA sanctioned hockey.

Thoughts?

i know that its YOUR city, town, state: pros minors college dosent matter MY city name is a play off of this city song by patrick stump but it could be anything sports in YOUR city

I'm just acknowledging the thought that certain cities and teams are going to be completely impossible to use in this contest due to the guidelines. I was simply suggesting that they might be more relaxed to give people more flexibility. I'm sure most people will want to gravitate towards their own city.

Those are very good points. How about this: you must post the teams you plan on doing and await approval from either canuck or me. For example, if you want to do Florida Panthers hockey, Miami Heat basketball, Miami Dolphins football, and Florida Marlins baseball, you will have to receive confirmation from one of us.

Does that work for you, canuck?

25yzwqg.png

Alright, so it's settled. I'll add it to the first post rules.

Does that fix the problem alright in your opinion, aawagner011?

capitalcanuck: I know you are the co-host of this thread, but you will have to post the teams you are doing by sport in order to follow the new guidelines. You are a participant as well.

And just to clarify: I do not plan on participating. I will just moderate.

25yzwqg.png

Sure. Thanks for that. I'm not positive if I'd be able to enter this contest (just with school and starting a new job soon, including the grand opening in a week or so), but I thought I'd address some initial concerns. I like where this could go, though. I'll mull it over and see how I'm doing closer to the submission deadline. Are you putting a cap on how many entries of the same cities you could have? For example, if I decided late I wanted to enter and my city was already taken, would I have to select another city? Or are entries from the same city ok?

Sure. Thanks for that. I'm not positive if I'd be able to enter this contest (just with school and starting a new job soon, including the grand opening in a week or so), but I thought I'd address some initial concerns. I like where this could go, though. I'll mull it over and see how I'm doing closer to the submission deadline. Are you putting a cap on how many entries of the same cities you could have? For example, if I decided late I wanted to enter and my city was already taken, would I have to select another city? Or are entries from the same city ok?

As stated in the original rules, they are okay. It doesn't matter if every single person does Chicago.

25yzwqg.png

I'll have the city of Detroit. I may drop out though. If I do, it won't be right before the contest starts. Also, can we use any logo from the teams history?

Sure. You can use a picture of a cupcake as the logo for all I care.

But please post what teams you will be doing by sport. We need to approve your teams.

25yzwqg.png

I'll have the city of Detroit. I may drop out though. If I do, it won't be right before the contest starts. Also, can we use any logo from the teams history?

But please post what teams you will be doing by sport. We need to approve your teams.

Detroit Tigers, Redwings, Lions, and Pistons.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Detroit Tigers, Redwings, Lions, and Pistons.

Alright, sounds good. You're approved.

25yzwqg.png

Los Angeles.

UCLA Bruins Football, LA Kings, LA Lakers and LA Dodgers

I'll take San Francisco.

San Francisco Giants, San Francisco 49ers, San Francisco Warriors (formerly Golden State), and the NHL San Francisco Seals.

Approved and approved.

25yzwqg.png

Archived