Notre Dame goes after Kansas High School

topcityhockey

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one on the bottom left looks like the Duquesne Dukes logo.

http://www.goduquesne.com/

And the one on the top left looks familiar too, but the exact logo slips past my mind...anybody care to jog my memory?

Looks like a concept that was on here ages ago, but I can't remember what one. Either that or some indoor football league team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

umm..... sorry.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Top left reminds me of this:

warriors1.gif

Great catch. This is definitely the starting point, looking at the eyes, nose and chin.

What a great lesson to teach the kids!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

my school is changing there logo this year. im basing my design off two logos, the cleveland browns alternate and the hamilton bulldogs. is that against the law?

There's no bright-line rule--it all depends on how much of the protected marks you take and how much is your original creation. It's okay to be inspired by or even directly take certain elements, but you can't be "substantially similar" to the original copyrighted mark or similar enough to the protected trademark to create a "likelihood of confusion" in the marketplace. Because it's hard to tell ex ante what will be considered infringing in copyright and trademark law, it's always better to be as original as possible in your creations rather than being derivative of others' creations.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Well, there's my high school, which updated from the USC Trojan to a version based on the OTHER Tommy Trojan with a redrawn headdress.

From time to time you'll see helmet finds of mine poke on here. Valley Sanders (the V with sword) looks original — the use of the Bears C in 1966 is obviously not.

ton of highschools "steal" college/pro designs

two near me blatantly stole the patriots logo and another essentially stole michigans uniforms

American High School, Miami

41796_8015447788_9342_n.jpg

Belen Jesuit Prep, Miami

nickmenocal-300x241.jpg

If teams lawyers wanted to crack down on this it'll be one hell of a hunt

I once saw a high school that had exact copies of Michigan's marching band uniforms. Weird thing to plagiarize.

1zgyd8w.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Voting is on these logos - for what ever reason, everybody's post has been removed.

I thought #3 looked familar - The Dukes. Damded people keep ripping off other logos!

001Champmanlogos.jpg

We were told when you use another logo, the logo must be modified 20% in order for you to use it.

It's still stealing, we've got all these wonderful graphic artists out there, especially here,

and everyone just keeps ripping off the other guys. Get real, get the net.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Voting is on these logos - for what ever reason, everybody's post has been removed.

I thought #3 looked familar - The Dukes. Damded people keep ripping off other logos!

001Champmanlogos.jpg

We were told when you use another logo, the logo must be modified 20% in order for you to use it.

It's still stealing, we've got all these wonderful graphic artists out there, especially here,

Ok I have to pipe in on this. Let me first state that I hate high schools stealing college logos more than anything. However how in the hell do you quantify 20% percent change lol? That seems ridiculous. I was told that that was an old wives tale. The whole percentage thing is way too hard to measure. Stealing is stealing and I don't think a blatant ripoff is going to hold up no matter how "percent" changed it is. It's not right to make a profit off of someone else's intellectual property whatever the case.

The notion that you can start with a trademarked logo and change it any percent to magically make it yours is a myth.

As a matter of law, I disagree. The standard for trademark infringement is likelihood of confusion on the part of consumers that the good/service originated from the same trademark owner. If you make enough changes to a trademarked logo, you get to a point where there is not likelihood of confusion. Copyright infringement, on the other hand, requires both evidence of copying and that the intended audience would recognize substantial similarities between the two marks. Again, if you make enough changes to the copyrighted logo, you'll get to a point where the logos are no longer substantially similar.

From a legal standpoint, it is possible to start with a trademarked and copyrighted logo and make changes such that what results does not infringe the original logo's trademark or copyright.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

001Champmanlogos.jpg

Ok I have to pipe in on this. Let me first state that I hate high schools stealing college logos more than anything. However how in the hell do you quantify 20% percent change lol? That seems ridiculous. I was told that that was an old wives tale. The whole percentage thing is way too hard to measure. Stealing is stealing and I don't think a blatant ripoff is going to hold up no matter how "percent" changed it is. It's not right to make a profit off of someone else's intellectual property whatever the case.

every time i see the fourth one,it reminds me of another logo i have seen before. i just cant put my finger on it. my voye would be for number 1 ,which looks kinda like the timberwolves.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Archived