New MLB caps for 2012

The Mojo Maniac

-No more powder blue caps for the Royals. They will most likely wear the home blue cap when wearing the powder blue jerseys.

-Angels will go back to the silver halo on all caps next year. No more gold.

-New Blue Jays cap. There could be two(one with the 'T' and one without).

-Slight change to San Diego's "SD" on caps. Might be dropping the sand from the current road cap.

-Heard a rumor that Colorado was dropping the purple crown, black lettering, and silver outline option.

Actually there isn't any sand in the current SD road cap. They dropped that last off season and used the white SD's on the road this year.

That is correct. They used the cap with the sand "SD" as an alternate cap to go along with the navy blue jerseys (which still sported the sand lettering). Be interesting to see what kind of blue alternate uniform the Padres have, perhaps they are dropping it in favor of keeping the camo uni set as an alternate.

From what the local press have been saying I suspect we'll see something that is more like the blue jersey that the blue and sand one replaced (ie: just blue with white lettering). Bigger question is which historic logo are they going to replace the "shampoo" logo with. The 70's/80's logo or the PCL logo.

I didn't hear that one - a historic logo you say? I would think maybe the friar they used on the Tucson Padres AAA team?

They already use the friar from the AAA team as a patch on the jersey, but I doubt it'll ever make a cap appearance. Padres have worn "SD" on the cap for half a century and that won't change (heck it's the only bit of continuity they DO have). No the historic part would be the jersey font from what they've hinted at, be it the 70/80's jersey font Tuscon is using or the actual PCL font which the "shampoo" logo was based on and supposed to honor.

The actual PCL script font would be a welcomed change. Still not too thrilled with navy and white only. I know this would get many up in arms, but why not red with a dark shade of navy, like the old PCL unis from the late 50s/early 60s? Hell, interlocking SD in white/red like the PCL unis would be cool too. But I guess the Twins already have that. Just not thrilled with just navy and white.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the silver halo does work really well with the red and navy. They could've really gone either way and it would be fine.

I like the silver better (runs to "unpopular opinions" thread)

I have to agree. Silver complements navy and red better than gold could. Silver is more like a secondary color while gold is more of a primary color. Three primary colors are a little much. Speaking of which, I wish there were more red/gold teams in MLB.

Don't tell MLB that we need more red teams no matter what color it's with. They may just make it mandatory for all 30 teams to wear some form of red.

-No more powder blue caps for the Royals. They will most likely wear the home blue cap when wearing the powder blue jerseys.

-Angels will go back to the silver halo on all caps next year. No more gold.

-New Blue Jays cap. There could be two(one with the 'T' and one without).

-Slight change to San Diego's "SD" on caps. Might be dropping the sand from the current road cap.

-Heard a rumor that Colorado was dropping the purple crown, black lettering, and silver outline option.

Actually there isn't any sand in the current SD road cap. They dropped that last off season and used the white SD's on the road this year.

That is correct. They used the cap with the sand "SD" as an alternate cap to go along with the navy blue jerseys (which still sported the sand lettering). Be interesting to see what kind of blue alternate uniform the Padres have, perhaps they are dropping it in favor of keeping the camo uni set as an alternate.

From what the local press have been saying I suspect we'll see something that is more like the blue jersey that the blue and sand one replaced (ie: just blue with white lettering). Bigger question is which historic logo are they going to replace the "shampoo" logo with. The 70's/80's logo or the PCL logo.

I didn't hear that one - a historic logo you say? I would think maybe the friar they used on the Tucson Padres AAA team?

They already use the friar from the AAA team as a patch on the jersey, but I doubt it'll ever make a cap appearance. Padres have worn "SD" on the cap for half a century and that won't change (heck it's the only bit of continuity they DO have). No the historic part would be the jersey font from what they've hinted at, be it the 70/80's jersey font Tuscon is using or the actual PCL font which the "shampoo" logo was based on and supposed to honor.

The actual PCL script font would be a welcomed change. Still not too thrilled with navy and white only. I know this would get many up in arms, but why not red with a dark shade of navy, like the old PCL unis from the late 50s/early 60s? Hell, interlocking SD in white/red like the PCL unis would be cool too. But I guess the Twins already have that. Just not thrilled with just navy and white.

Navy and white might be overdone, but at the same time it's a color scheme that works for the Padres. It matches their surroundings close to the ocean in a seaside city, it matches their stadium, it matches their ties to the military (the Navy in particular) and it even matches their "Padres" theme as orders that wear robes do wear dark blue (in addition to brown and black).

Very disappointed if what is reported as the Padres changes are true. If they are just sticking with blue and white whey could have just not changed anything over the past 8 years or so. Everything has just been a tweak, when there seems to be a call for a real change. Many fans seem to really like the brown, including myself. To announce a change and then make a it a change that most will not even notice is just an irritating waste of time.

Well the silver halo does work really well with the red and navy. They could've really gone either way and it would be fine.

I like the silver better (runs to "unpopular opinions" thread)

I have to agree. Silver complements navy and red better than gold could. Silver is more like a secondary color while gold is more of a primary color. Three primary colors are a little much. Speaking of which, I wish there were more red/gold teams in MLB.

Don't tell MLB that we need more red teams no matter what color it's with. They may just make it mandatory for all 30 teams to wear some form of red.

There's more of a problem with navy than red. If the Angels were to go exclusively with red/gold, I would be very happy.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Very disappointed if what is reported as the Padres changes are true. If they are just sticking with blue and white whey could have just not changed anything over the past 8 years or so. Everything has just been a tweak, when there seems to be a call for a real change. Many fans seem to really like the brown, including myself. To announce a change and then make a it a change that most will not even notice is just an irritating waste of time.

Well it will be a change. The home and alternate jersey will need to be changed with the loss of sand. Also the former road, current alternate cap, will need to be either eliminated or replaced. So over 50% of their entire uniform spread will be redone along with their current secondary logo (the "home plate" logo). As for the brown, I just don't see it happening. It's not something that is desired by a decent part of the Padres fan base (and obviously the management), and the longer they go without it the less it will be called for. I mean they're at the point that brown and gold has been gone longer than they wore it (and blue and white have been the primaries longer than brown and gold were).

I assume the Mets will have an anniversary patch on the cap along with the jerseys but any idea if they might go back to the blue cap button for the year? I know its a very minor detail but hey if we weren't into minor details this website probably wouldn't exist.

mets.png

I assume the Mets will have an anniversary patch on the cap along with the jerseys but any idea if they might go back to the blue cap button for the year? I know its a very minor detail but hey if we weren't into minor details this website probably wouldn't exist.

I personally think the orange button looks much, much better. Likewise, I've always wanted the Red Sox to put a red button on the top of their navy hats.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

• 2 weeks later...

What I would love to see my Angels to go back to Dark Blue cap with the current logo.

These would look nice on the field: http://sportslogos.n...f82ygdxkf2g75gm

(Hat, not jersey)

New Astros on field home for 2012. Has anyone heard if the Red Sox or Mets will be doing hat patches for their respective anniversaries?

My link

Mets yes, Sox no.

What I would love to see my Angels to go back to Dark Blue cap with the current logo.

(Hat, not jersey)

New Astros on field home for 2012. Has anyone heard if the Red Sox or Mets will be doing hat patches for their respective anniversaries?

My link

Mets yes, Sox no.

Are the Sox doing patches on jerseys atleast? I really liked the Fenway Park 100th anniversary logo.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

(Hat, not jersey)

My link

Mets yes, Sox no.

I'm still holding out hope for a Sox patch cap. The Braves kept their all-blue alts top secret until Opening Day a few years ago!

Archived