Formula 1 to race in NJ in '13

Hathaway Browne

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I think the plan is to have two on the calendar for the foreseeable future. NJ has a 10 year deal, Austin probably the same or at the very least a 5 year one that is de rigure for all new tracks. Hopefully they can both be successful, but I guess it won't be easy - there's bound to be some who will put off going to Texas in favour of going to New Jersey and likewise. If they've got any sense they should try and offer some sort of discount for buying tickets to both events. Not that a) it'll happen or b] that many will be able to do it in the first place! ;)

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

Sounds like Austin and New Jersey could make their début together...  

The situation in Austin appears more complicated, with Ecclestone suggesting that, while construction work is ongoing, there are issues inside the company that is putting the event together.

"I don't think they are struggling [with building the track] at all," he explained. "I think there has been a disagreement inside the company."

When asked if he was certain the race would take place in 2012, Ecclestone said: "If you had said to me a month ago, is this [the Indian GP] 100 per cent going to happen then I would have said, 'I don't know'. So ask me a month before the race is due to happen."

But with Ecclestone having already pulled off a deal for New Jersey to hold a grand prix in 2013, he said that it would not be too much a blow if Austin's arrival on the calendar was delayed.

"We can have it next year or the year after," he said. "It is not the end of the world."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95834

Sounds like Austin and New Jersey could make their début together...  

The situation in Austin appears more complicated, with Ecclestone suggesting that, while construction work is ongoing, there are issues inside the company that is putting the event together.

"I don't think they are struggling [with building the track] at all," he explained. "I think there has been a disagreement inside the company."

When asked if he was certain the race would take place in 2012, Ecclestone said: "If you had said to me a month ago, is this [the Indian GP] 100 per cent going to happen then I would have said, 'I don't know'. So ask me a month before the race is due to happen."

But with Ecclestone having already pulled off a deal for New Jersey to hold a grand prix in 2013, he said that it would not be too much a blow if Austin's arrival on the calendar was delayed.

"We can have it next year or the year after," he said. "It is not the end of the world."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95834

With the rumors of that along with Bahrain & Korea next year, not only the renewal of the concorde agreement is up, I think Uncle Bernie has a lot more on his plate.

baltimoreravens.png

The layout of the track looks great and it doesn't look like all these new tracks which are pretty much boring and have no character to the viewer at home. At least this one does. The issues I have are, the pavement and what not, how will that be and will it be up to F1 standards? What about closing roads, how's that going to work? How are locals going to deal with roads that were open that are now closed? If you want to use Long Beach as an example, there's a huge difference, Long Beach has been around for thirty six years. Then again what about politics? If people don't like their roads closed, there won't be a Grand Prix in Jersey, because the political movement will shut it down. I just think there are factors that people haven't thought about. Does it look cool? Yes. Will it happen? Who knows. Just because something is announced doesn't mean it's going to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Jersey may very well become the US Grand Prix in '13......

Nov 12 (Reuters) - Next year's scheduled U.S. Grand Prix in Austin, Texas, is looking doubtful, Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone said on Saturday.

"Austin? I wouldn't want to put my money down that that will happen. I hope it will and we are doing our best to make it happen, but I wouldn't want to say yes," he told Reuters at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

"For New York (in 2013), no problem at all."

The 81-year-old said the problem with the Austin race came down to a clash between the parties involved in building the circuit and promoting the race.

"What's happened is you've got a guy that owns the land and started building and there's the guy that owns the company and has got a contract with us. And they forgot to talk to each other," he said.

"The truth of the matter is maybe the people that have put the money down are perhaps a bit pissed off that he's getting some publicity and they are not and are saying 'we've got our money on the line, you haven't got any money on the line.'

"They are trying to get it together. I've said 'you guys have got to fall in love. Get married'."

http://uk.reuters.co...E7MC07I20111112

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/16/construction-on-austins-circuit-of-the-americas-has-stopped/

The first F1 race to come to the United States in half a decade was scheduled to take place next year in Austin, Texas. However, following doubts expressed by F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone on the project's progress, the latest development has construction on the Circuit of the Americas ? the new motorsport complex being built to host the event ? grinding to a halt.

Oh...

baltimoreravens.png

The old coot needs to stop making deals with circuits that only exist on paper for starters. We had Korea still being built on the Thursday the circus came to town and India only just made it by the skin of its teeth.  

I've got no doubts that the COA can be built and will be a fantastic facility for F1, (let alone Indy, Moto GP and Nascar), and I hope they do finish construction and do it the old fashioned way; by hosting an event or two and then making the pitch to host an F1 race. Seeings as it was done arse-backwards, I can't blame them, however the other issues really should have been sorted out way before signing the contract. At least that's if these issues had already arisen at that point.

Adding Port Imperial was a bit of a kick in the teeth for COA, it was almost as if Bernie went to them as he thought Jersey was a no-go. Then things changed in the Garden State and he got his cake and was able to eat it. However if they're not careful F1 can go from having two potential races to none again, as I don't see the Jersey race being 100% final just yet.

I guess time will tell, there's just enough time to get the COA finished for June... but only just, and then we're back to the same rush job that we saw in Mokpo and Greater Noida.

Thanks Bernie.

Sounds like Jersey may very well become the US Grand Prix in '13......

Nov 12 (Reuters) - Next year's scheduled U.S. Grand Prix in Austin, Texas, is looking doubtful, Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone said on Saturday.

"Austin? I wouldn't want to put my money down that that will happen. I hope it will and we are doing our best to make it happen, but I wouldn't want to say yes," he told Reuters at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

"For New York (in 2013), no problem at all."

The 81-year-old said the problem with the Austin race came down to a clash between the parties involved in building the circuit and promoting the race.

"What's happened is you've got a guy that owns the land and started building and there's the guy that owns the company and has got a contract with us. And they forgot to talk to each other," he said.

"The truth of the matter is maybe the people that have put the money down are perhaps a bit pissed off that he's getting some publicity and they are not and are saying 'we've got our money on the line, you haven't got any money on the line.'

"They are trying to get it together. I've said 'you guys have got to fall in love. Get married'."

http://uk.reuters.co...E7MC07I20111112

grrrrr...there goes my vacation plans next November...trading the November cold for a week in Austin and Vettel domination sounded like fun... :cursing:

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

Don't abandon all hope yet. There's talk of them deferring to 2013..... and it won't be Vettel dominating, it'll be one of the McLaren boys! ;)

For that I hope it's Jenson... I don't see Lewis sticking around McLaren much longer. Of course I'm excited about the rumor of Honda going back to McLaren as well.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/11/18/uk-mclaren-honda-idUKTRE7AH1RZ20111118

Hopefully this will mean more engine suppliers down the road. :woot:

baltimoreravens.png

^I agree, I love to see Jense win another title. As for Lewis, he'll make some noise come contract negotiation time but probably stay. He's got it too good at Woking.

Anyway, it looks like this US race shindig could be back on...

COTA ready to pay Bernie for 2012 US GP

COTA says that it is ready to pay Bernie Ecclestone the sanctioning fee for the 2012 US GP ? but in the same breath accuses the F1 boss of making "unrealistic and unfeasible demands." COTA has signed its own version of the contract presented by Bernie and returned it to him. It remains to be seen what bernie thinks of this unusual counter offer.

http://adamcooperf1....for-2012-us-gp/

• 2 weeks later...

It's official.... It's back on!!!!

http://planetf1.com/driver/18227/7357986/US-GP-back-on-track

Red McCombs, a founding partner of the Circuit of the Americas, has now confirmed that the required fee has been paid and that work at the site will recommence.

"Mr Ecclestone received his cheque today," McCombs said in a statement.

"We want to thank the fans supporting us, the local officials and businesses that have encouraged us, the State of Texas, Circuit of the Americas' staff and Bernie himself."

baltimoreravens.png

Archived