Best Major League Sports Team of All Time?

Lebda4Norris

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the 1929 Philadelphia Athletics belong in the discussion.

104-46 record, won the AL pennant by 18 games, and defeated the Cubs in the World Series. And the players on that team...Jimmie Foxx, Al Simmons, Mickey Cochrane, Lefty Grove...that's scary. Not to mention, of course, the great Connie Mack at the helm.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The 1975-1978 Montreal Canadiens. Their losses in that span: 11, 8, 10 in an 80 game season.

Exactamundo! What charger said.

250px-Fonz_Pic.PNG

Props for using the Fonz. Eeeeyyy!

104-46 record, won the AL pennant by 18 games, and defeated the Cubs in the World Series. And the players on that team...Jimmie Foxx, Al Simmons, Mickey Cochrane, Lefty Grove...that's scary. Not to mention, of course, the great Connie Mack at the helm.

Now there's something you don't see every day.

bannernigga3-1.jpeg

Click the Banner - Join the Movement!

Bannertop.jpeg

Now there's something you don't see every day.

Or ANY day...

I saw, I came, I left.

I stand corrected.

I guess I should say I'm surprised there isn't more talk of the 1972 Dolphins.

I think people are just tired of that team in general, as they tend to take up a lot of the spotlight any time there's an undefeated team halfway through the season.

Annoyance aside though, you have to give that team its due.

THEY DIDN'T WIN THE WORLD SERIES!

Winning the World Series isn't, nor should it be, a pre-condition for Best Team of Whatever. There are plenty of times when a team has won a championship and wasn't the best team, but they got a couple lucky bounces, a fortunate roll, a favorable call.

In football, perhaps not.

But in a series of games, one bad bounce doesn't decide it. The best team will win out overall.

Not to sound like a homer, but the 1995 Cleveland Indians who won 100 games in a 144 game shortened season. Not sure if there was a better baseball team. Sure it was a weak division, the Indians being the only team above .500, but they won the division by 30 games. They had Jim Thome and Manny Ramirez betting in the lower third of the line up that year. Six All-Stars...

THEY DIDN'T WIN THE WORLD SERIES!

Thank you both for bringing this to my attention. I now have something else with which to mercilessly mock Cleveland for. (How has this gone unnoticed?!)

/2001 Mariners were better.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The '72 Dolphins may have gone undefeated, but I wouldn't rate them the best team ever in the NFL. I keep thinking some of those Steeler teams from the '70s or Packer teams from the '60s were better. Those Steeler and Packer teams were solid in every position.

But if we're thinking best ever team in any sport, the '27 Yankees just stand out so much. The '61 Yankees are up there, too.

But one could also make a strong case for the Dream Team in Olympic basketball, even though it wasn't really a TEAM for very long. My gosh, think of the players on that team -- Jordan, Bird, Magic, Barkley ... I've never seen, and never heard of, another collection of such great players.

The '72 Dolphins had the league's number one defense that season. Wanna know how they got the nickname "No Name"? Because they were overshadowed by the league's number one offense...also worth noting that if memory serves correctly, that team also had the first 1000-yard rushing tandem in league history (meaning both backs broke a stack). To further that...that high powered offense was lead the majority of the season by the backup QB (not that Earl Morrall was exactly a scrub--but, still). And of course, they won the league title. (There...that a lil' more Dolphins talk for y'all? :D )

And then there's, like someone else said, 72-10. I'll throw a vote that way too.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1994 Montreal Expos

They didn't win the World Series.

/Yes I know why!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1994 Montreal Expos

who doesn't love Marquis Grissom?

I was watching game six of the 1996 World Series at the gym last night, and that guy was intense. He was also safe at second.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1994 Montreal Expos

They didn't win the World Series.

/Yes I know why!

The '94 Expos: What Could Have Been. If the season continues, this is what I say happens:

NLDS:

MON def. LAD 3-2

ATL def. CIN 3-1

ALDS:

NYY def. CLE 3-1

CHW def. OAK 3-1

NLCS:

Montréal Expos over Atlanta Braves in 7 games

ALCS:

New York Yankees over Chicago White Sox in 6 games

1994 World Series:

Montréal Expos over New York Yankees in 7 games

Just sayin'. ;)

25yzwqg.png

72-10 bulls gets my vote.

Homer. :D (You too, AnythingChicago.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived