Orioles 2012 Changes

Bill813

Very cool - thanks.

The beak looks very strange blending into the keyline:

BaltimoreOrioles_CAP1a_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

The cap doesn't have this problem, since the stitching creates a distinct beak:

pMLB2-11543488dt.jpg

It might of been better with a distinct lower beak like this...

OriolesCartoonBird.png

Maybe. I haven't decided if that really bothers me or if the economy of strokes is brilliant design.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The orange jersey is beautiful! No more O's cap(except on the new cartoon bird), I hated that hat. The Baltimore script still seems to small on the Right side.

iPVPYzY4.jpg

Sorry, but the "O's" hats will still be worn with the black road alternate.

NOOOOOOOOOO's

It really is. One of this set's many problems.

This whole set just bugs me. I'm not a fan of the cartoon bird, so I'm not happy to see it back, but if they were going to go back to it come hell or high water they should have committed to it. From what I can tell the team's keeping the ornithologically correct bird as the primary logo. So you have a realistic bird primary with a cartoon bird on the caps. Again, if you're going with the cartoon bird on the caps, commit to it.

Also, while it doesn't necessarily clash with the cartoon bird as much as the realistic bird, the Maryland flag roundel sleeve patch seems to clash somewhat. I can't put my finger on why, but the flag patch and cartoon bird just don't look like they belong in the same identity package.

Not to mention that my least favourite Orioles cap logos are the cartoon bird and the "O's", which they've now merged into one unholy abomination.

The only thing I truly like about this set is the orange alternate. That should be their one and only alternate jersey.

The only things I don't like about the set is the paneled cap and Maryland flag patch remaining. Other than that, this is a fantastic set. The road uniform especially is gorgeous with that cap now, and the orange alt is really nice.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Son of a bitch. I can't remember the last time a team in any sport had an unveiling which didn't drop the ball massively in a few areas. The black stitching on the white cap is unacceptable, but that is on New Era. They better have a damn white panneled batting helmet to go with it.

The bird is great accept for lack of black outline around the bottom beak. It looks okay on the cap, but horrible in general form. Also, the orange outline is unnecessarily gigantic.

Also, maybe I need to see the Baltimore scripts side by side, but I don't see a difference between this and the last set. It still looks like the angle is too sharp.

The orange jersey is okay. How hopefully the Giants will dump theirs and wear a black alt. Oh, and death to the O's cap.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think that Toronto and Baltimore did it the right way in regards to changes. They are the winners for me this offseason related to uniforms.

Well, with the Marlins and Padres as the primary competition that wasn't too tough happy.gif.

I like this set a lot, but they missed on quite a few minor details that many have touched on (stroke on beak, black stitching, orange alt piping). Also, if you're going with the cartoon bird, drop the full body oriole.

And for some reason I'm not digging the white panel hats...they just seem off. And they don't look good at all with the orange alt.

Is the Baltimore script really fixed? Hard to judge without a side-by-side, but it still seems skewed to me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here's the side-by-side:

5ndf6lk2kgerj7kvjewstiw8c.gif

5ggf6j2ee2g9qlk7hwgr0n7a8.gif

The slope is much improved, but the extra-italics kind of hide it.

And while we're at it, why didn't they clean up this guy? He's going to look awful in the same set as the new cap logo.

gnk356weka7e940qfvthk7uhf.gif

7k3eexqw8fojeg9km66n3mdgn.gif

It's these little inconsistencies that are driving me crazy. They are now using three distinct bird logos, none of which look good together.

Thanks. The effect isn't as dramatic as I was expecting it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like this set a lot, but they missed on quite a few minor details that many have touched on (stroke on beak, black stitching, orange alt piping).

I forgot to mention that. I hate when teams are so gung ho about "our stripes and numbers have to be identical on all jerseys". It works for the Steelers, not for the SF Giants and Angels. Seeing that the orange jerseys breaks from their other jerseys featuring orange numbers with black outlines, it would have been appropriate to break from the black-orange-black sleeve stripes and done black-white-black to pay a bit of homage to the garish '70s set.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm not a fan of the white panel cap. I thought we left those in the past with pullovers and tight pants.

I love the black road cap though. I hope that becomes the primary hat within a few years.

The orange jersey is beautiful! No more O's cap(except on the new cartoon bird), I hated that hat. The Baltimore script still seems to small on the Right side.

iPVPYzY4.jpg

I just realized that they should have put white piping on the sleeve.

I disagree. With the way they have it, they're piping is a consistent black-orange-black stripe across all three jerseys. I love that they didn't fill it in with white.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I disagree. With the way they have it, they're piping is a consistent black-orange-black stripe across all three jerseys. I love that they didn't fill it in with white.

I disagree with you. To me, this looks like a factory defect where they forgot to use the different ribbon on the sleeves. It looks silly to have two thin black stripes separated by a wider area. As I said, they broke from orange numbers outlined in black on the jersey (thankfully), so they should have broken from the sleeve striping also.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

They fixed the height on "altimore", but instead of decreasing the angle on the script, the just tilted the script clockwise. Look at the angles of the B. THAT is why the new scipt looks so bad. That is sloppy and half-assed.

You're right. And because there's such a sharp tilt to it, they had to create that big gap between the "l" and the "t" to make it fit on the jersey. That should have been a giant red light that something needed to be redone. This set gets it right in theory, but pisses it all away on the details. Perfect for the Orioles, I say!

Still love the orange alt.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived