Orioles 2012 Changes

Bill813

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not a fan of panel caps but i think it fits the team and i think the logo looks better against the white than it does against the black. the home and road uni's look great. my only complaint is the white panel cap looks out of place ontop of the orange alt. should've went with the road cap or kept the 90's-2000's bird for the alt.

6pf1zakhef3zaztipz8ms0ghi.gif

it would've fit IMO.

Good set though.

21dh5qp.png

I always appreciated the uniqueness of the ornithologically correct bird as a cap logo, so part of me is sad to see it go altogether. I thought maybe it could work as a shoulder patch. I like when teams use something other than a letter on the cap, so I appreciate the bird head still carrying that forward for the Orioles. That said, the beak/trim blending is annoying on the logo graphic itself. The cap logo works better due to the stitching. I like the black hat better and I think in time it will take over for the paneled cap as the home cap. The paneled cap works best with the orange alt, so I would say it should be the alt with the black as the primary.

no need to worry the classic bird will be back in 5 years as the novelty of the cartoon bird (and merch sales) grows stale.

This new logo IS the classic bird, both in terms of years used and success while wearing it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I always appreciated the uniqueness of the ornithologically correct bird as a cap logo, so part of me is sad to see it go altogether. I thought maybe it could work as a shoulder patch. I like when teams use something other than a letter on the cap, so I appreciate the bird head still carrying that forward for the Orioles. That said, the beak/trim blending is annoying on the logo graphic itself. The cap logo works better due to the stitching. I like the black hat better and I think in time it will take over for the paneled cap as the home cap. The paneled cap works best with the orange alt, so I would say it should be the alt with the black as the primary.

no need to worry the classic bird will be back in 5 years as the novelty of the cartoon bird (and merch sales) grows stale.

This new logo IS the classic bird, both in terms of years used and success while wearing it.

EXACTLY! Now they just need to bring back the orange panel cap and their set will be complete!

ReggieJacksonOrioles.jpg

EXACTLY! Now they just need to bring back the orange panel cap and their set will be complete!

No, some things are better off left in the past. The opposite color panel caps kinda work when they are white and the brim is the secondary color, but look terrible when it is just a different color front amidst a solid color, such as what the Brewers used in the '80s. That is bad and wouldn't look good with modern (traditional) uniforms.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Front-panel caps are still dumb.

The cartoon bird is lame when compared to the "ornithologically-correct" version previously used.

But at least they cleaned up that script a little, tiny bit.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

No, some things are better off left in the past. The opposite color panel caps kinda work when they are white and the brim is the secondary color, but look terrible when it is just a different color front amidst a solid color, such as what the Brewers used in the '80s. That is bad and wouldn't look good with modern (traditional) uniforms.

OK, OK, I know I was pushing it just a little with that one! Still be cool to see for TBTC night though.

I really like this new set. The logo looks good, but there should be black on the bottom half of the beak. I like the paneled caps, just not with the orange jerseys. The need to fix the gap in Baltimore also, but the best part of this update is the orange jersey.

SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

maybe a new primary should be on the docket. having 2 different birds is weird to me

Three - they still have this logo in their set:

gnk356weka7e940qfvthk7uhf.gif

They should have cleaned him up as well to match the cap logo.

None of their various bird logos look good together, which is a big problem I have with this set.

The logo already appears on the site.

bal.png

Dang, I was a big supporter of the O's going back to the cartoon bird, but seeing it now... it kinda seems.... well, stupid. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I might end up looking back at the previous bird on the hat and realize I didn't know what they had until it was gone.

Will you look at the Walgreens' W with the same sort of wistfulness as the ornithologically correct Oriole?

I actually think the swinging bird doesn't look bad or clash with the cap logo. He doesn't look like a completely different bird. Just updated his hat (and maybe make him pudgier) and he would fit as a nice alternate to teh cap logo.

As for the massive orange outline which is still bothering me, what if they removed the outline as well as the black outlines on the top beak and brim, then put a small white outline around everything? Obviously, the white outline wouldn't show up on the home cap, but it would help distinguish the black parts of the bird from the road cap. What they went with - the huge outline combined with no bottom beak outline, is not good.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I like most of this update except for the return of the cartoon bird. One of my least favorite logos of all time, and I continue to wonder why people love it (methinks it's nostalgia).

I like the white paneled cap, though. However, I doubt it would've worked with ornithologically correct bird.

Also, this logo is awesome: wny5rwgrqoaobkqy1t2vbuz34.gif

Is that a new patch? Any high res of that bad boy?

Here is the actual patch:

pMLB2-11755618dt.jpg

Even better in patch form.

The only things I don't like about the set is the paneled cap and Maryland flag patch remaining. Other than that, this is a fantastic set. The road uniform especially is gorgeous with that cap now, and the orange alt is really nice.

The Maryland flag patch is one of the best jersey patches in baseball today, maybe in history. I love that thing.

spacer.png

maybe a new primary should be on the docket. having 2 different birds is weird to me

Three - they still have this logo in their set:

gnk356weka7e940qfvthk7uhf.gif

They should have cleaned him up as well to match the cap logo.

None of their various bird logos look good together, which is a big problem I have with this set.

The swinging bird logo is classic and they shouldn't mess with it. It never matched up exactly with the previous versions of the cartoon bird logos either, so I don't see a problem with it now.

The logo already appears on the site.

bal.png

Dang, I was a big supporter of the O's going back to the cartoon bird, but seeing it now... it kinda seems.... well, stupid. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I might end up looking back at the previous bird on the hat and realize I didn't know what they had until it was gone.

Will you look at the Walgreens' W with the same sort of wistfulness as the ornithologically correct Oriole?

I don't think I follow... I assume you're talking about the Nats curly dub logo, but its not going anywhere so I'm not sure why I would be wistful about it. I would actually miss it though if it ever left, so I guess my answer is: yes?

90758391980.gif

I actually think the swinging bird doesn't look bad or clash with the cap logo. He doesn't look like a completely different bird. Just updated his hat (and maybe make him pudgier) and he would fit as a nice alternate to teh cap logo.

As for the massive orange outline which is still bothering me, what if they removed the outline as well as the black outlines on the top beak and brim, then put a small white outline around everything? Obviously, the white outline wouldn't show up on the home cap, but it would help distinguish the black parts of the bird from the road cap. What they went with - the huge outline combined with no bottom beak outline, is not good.

The graphic version of the logo doesn't look great without the bottom beak outline, but I think it looks fine in the raised, embroidered form on the cap.

Or the White Sox go back to their beer league softball-esque collared jerseys with shorts or the beach blanket design? Ugh...

Remind us what championships did the White Sox win in those so-called uniforms.

You're right, my bad. I got all caught up in my rant about the fact that terrible uniforms should never be resurrected (save for the occasional throwback night), no matter how well the team did when they regularly wore them. I guess I focused to much on the monstrosity of the unis themselves rather than the team reputation behind them :P

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

I like most of this update except for the return of the cartoon bird. One of my least favorite logos of all time, and I continue to wonder why people love it (methinks it's nostalgia).

I like the white paneled cap, though. However, I doubt it would've worked with ornithologically correct bird.

Also, this logo is awesome: wny5rwgrqoaobkqy1t2vbuz34.gif

Is that a new patch? Any high res of that bad boy?

Here is the actual patch:

pMLB2-11755618dt.jpg

Even better in patch form.

The only things I don't like about the set is the paneled cap and Maryland flag patch remaining. Other than that, this is a fantastic set. The road uniform especially is gorgeous with that cap now, and the orange alt is really nice.

The Maryland flag patch is one of the best jersey patches in baseball today, maybe in history. I love that thing.

I agree. The Maryland flag is distinctive and unique and I think that patch was a good addition a few years back along with the Baltimore roads to reaffirm the O's civic identity. The elements of that flag have been used very successfully over the years by the Ravens and the University of Maryland as well (ok maybe not so much with those new football jerseys).

mets.png

Archived