Orioles 2012 Changes

Bill813

The road unis were even better:

p795711reg.jpg

Powder blue roads make almost any baseball uniform set look good.

No.

No no no no no.

No.

Well, how about if they were to put numbers on both sleeves?

I'mma hafta hurtcha.

I kinda wish they'd add thin Red and Navy striping to the sleeves and pants...not as thick as it was in the pullover days, but just enough to add some detail.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The road unis were even better:

p795711reg.jpg

Powder blue roads make almost any baseball uniform set look good.

No.

No no no no no.

No.

Well, how about if they were to put numbers on both sleeves?

I'mma hafta hurtcha.

I kinda wish they'd add thin Red and Navy striping to the sleeves and pants...not as thick as it was in the pullover days, but just enough to add some detail.

Then only acceptable way to do that would be red/white/navy triple piping, like the way the Giants, Nationals (road uniforms, Pirates and previous Padres sets had, thinner and on the edges of the sleeve, or off the edge of the sleeve, and maybe around the collar. No thick striping please.

Though being one of only two teams (A's) that have plain, no-piping/pinstripe uniforms for both home and away (Dodgers-home only, Cubs/Red Sox-aways only), has made it more difficult for me to imagine them with anything else.

Then only acceptable way to do that would be red/white/navy triple piping, like the way the Giants, Nationals (road uniforms, Pirates and previous Padres sets had, thinner and on the edges of the sleeve, or off the edge of the sleeve, and maybe around the collar. No thick striping please.

Though being one of only two teams (A's) that have plain, no-piping/pinstripe uniforms for both home and away (Dodgers-home only, Cubs/Red Sox-aways only), has made it more difficult for me to imagine them with anything else.

The '90s Indians had the exact pants you describe, separated red and navy stripes. The only difference was the center stripe was gray on the road pants.

thome3.jpg

Holy crap, those were perfect uniforms.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

They're dated because they don't look like they fit anywhere but that period they were worn. That's not the case with button ups. They just look like how a jersey should, regardless of what time.

I don't agree with that assessment. In fact, I don't really understand why there's a preference for one versus the other at all.

nav-logo.png

Pullovers are never coming back, and for good reason. It was nothing but a trend that baseball moved on from.

I'd have said the same about white paneled caps a few years ago.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Pullovers are never coming back, and for good reason. It was nothing but a trend that baseball moved on from.

I still say the same about white paneled caps.

I agree with the premise of why you say that, but the ARE back. And I would not be stunned if pullovers came back one day too.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I agree with the premise of why you say that, but the ARE back. And I would not be stunned if pullovers came back one day too.

Exactly. T-shirts are pullovers, are they dated? I have some pullover sweatshirts that I bought recently, they don't seem dated. Pullovers, like white paneled caps, could make a comeback. Probably not, but they could.

Exactly. T-shirts are pullovers, are they dated? I have some pullover sweatshirts that I bought recently, they don't seem dated. Pullovers, like white paneled caps, could make a comeback. Probably not, but they could.

T-shirts and pullover jerseys are not the same thing.

Are white paneled caps back though? A grand total of one team is bringing the design back. The Blue Jays used to wear white paneled caps, and they aren't bringing them back, despite having the perfect opportunity to do so. Another team that used the pattern, if not the white colour (the Padres), recently tweaked their uniform and they didn't bring it back. It's not retaking the sport by storm. It's simply one team bringing it back as their unique uniform quirk. Which is something different.

As for pullovers and t-shirts/sweaters, first they aren't exactly the same thing. Secondly, come on now. It's very obvious that fashions that are acceptable in one walk of life aren't in another. What works for everyday wear does not work for a multi-million dollar baseball team.

In a lot of ways the "a pullover's a lot like a t-shirt, what's wrong with that?" argument is further proof of why they're a bad idea. A uniform for a professional sports team should not look like someone's t-shirt.

Think about it. If pullovers were so great, why did every team who adopted them revert back to traditional baseball uniforms? Why hasn't a team brought pullovers back full time since they've disappeared? How come when teams want to homage the pullover era with new uniforms they still opt to use traditional baseball jerseys (Royals and their powder blues)? It's because the pullover is a very dated concept.

And who knows how long the Orioles will even have theirs. You can't really say "they're back" if they're gone by the All-Star break, so who knows.

True. Given how baseball uniforms tend to change, even within the same set, the white paneled Orioles cap is one poor sales report or losing streak away from being shelved.

I can't help but get a "Saturday morning cartoon" vibe from that new bird. I personally could do without--but if that's what the fans want, then great on the Orioles organization for bringing that back. And as much as I do like that white-panel cap, I think that should be reserved for just the alternate, and with the home whites as an alternate cap on like a Saturday or Sunday or something like that. The rest of that set...gorgeous. And that ain't just my love of the color orange speaking.

(But...I do have this one question: why does it seem that so many of the teams that do have orange as a team color use such a dark orange? That almost looks warm-reddish to me. I notice the same thing with the Browns, Bengals, the Florida Gators and Denver Broncos, as well.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I can't help but get a "Saturday morning cartoon" vibe from that new bird. I personally could do without--but if that's what the fans want, then great on the Orioles organization for bringing that back. And as much as I do like that white-panel cap, I think that should be reserved for just the alternate, and with the home whites as an alternate cap on like a Saturday or Sunday or something like that. The rest of that set...gorgeous. And that ain't just my love of the color orange speaking.

(But...I do have this one question: why does it seem that so many of the teams that do have orange as a team color use such a dark orange? That almost looks warm-reddish to me. I notice the same thing with the Browns, Bengals, the Florida Gators and Denver Broncos, as well.)

I think those oranges look much better than a duller faded looking orange.

Are white paneled caps back though? A grand total of one team is bringing the design back. The Blue Jays used to wear white paneled caps, and they aren't bringing them back, despite having the perfect opportunity to do so. Another team that used the pattern, if not the white colour (the Padres), recently tweaked their uniform and they didn't bring it back. It's not retaking the sport by storm. It's simply one team bringing it back as their unique uniform quirk. Which is something different.

Colleges and high schools everywhere (not to mention countless minor league teams) are currently using white paneled caps:

110302SP-LS-FGCUBaseball581_t607.jpg

york_baseball_003.jpg

sal-prestigiacomojpg-58eabc7837bf1edc_large.jpg

278305100-02001634.jpg

jo_web.jpg

I would say white paneled caps are back. Check Google images or even all the minor league caps on Lids for that matter, you will find them everywhere. Just because no MLB teams besides the O's are using them doesn't mean they aren't popular - the big leagues are just going through a fairly conservative phase right now as far as uniforms are concerned, although with the onset of the Miami Marlins, it looks like that will soon begin to change.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Colleges and high schools everywhere (not to mention countless minor league teams) are currently using white paneled caps:

york_baseball_003.jpg

278305100-02001634.jpg

jo_web.jpg

I would say white paneled caps are back. Check Google images or even all the minor league caps on Lids for that matter, you will find them everywhere. Just because no MLB teams besides the O's are using them doesn't mean they aren't popular - the big leagues are just going through a fairly conservative phase right now as far as uniforms are concerned, although with the onset of the Miami Marlins, it looks like that will soon begin to change.

And yet, I still don't think the Marlins are really as "out there" as many people seem to think they are.

york_baseball_003.jpg

278305100-02001634.jpg

jo_web.jpg

Hurrah for those teams. We're talking MLB though.

As for the Marlins ushering in a new phase of vibrant uniform design, well for one not even they went with an off-colour single panel cap, and their vibrant new uniform was released around the same time as one of the most conservative rebrands in years (the Padres). For all of this talk about having white panelled caps, the Orioles' new look is still retro-inspired, and the Mets went back to basics. The new Jays uniform has been described as a fresh take on the team's classic look. So no, I don't think the Marlins' new uniforms are the "onset" of a new, more experimental era in baseball uniforms. Most of the changes this off-season have been to either embrace a classic look or go more conservative design-wise.

As to the topic at hand, I have a hard time believing that off panel caps are "back" when three teams with a history of using them re-branded this off-season, and only one used the opportunity to bring them back. The Orioles might stick with theirs for a very long time. They might make the white panelled cap their "thing." If they do, good for them. One team using them doesn't mean the trend is "back."

I'll give you this though. Off-colour panelled caps are more likely to make a comeback in the Majors then pullovers are.

And who knows how long the Orioles will even have theirs. You can't really say "they're back" if they're gone by the All-Star break, so who knows.

True. Given how baseball uniforms tend to change, even within the same set, the white paneled Orioles cap is one poor sales report or losing streak away from being shelved.

Not sure how relevant it is to overall sales, but the white panel cap is already on back order at shop.mlb.com. No problems at all ordering the black caps.

As to the topic at hand, I have a hard time believing that off panel caps are "back" when three teams with a history of using them re-branded this off-season, and only one used the opportunity to bring them back. The Orioles might stick with theirs for a very long time. They might make the white panelled cap their "thing." If they do, good for them. One team using them doesn't mean the trend is "back."

I'll give you this though. Off-colour panelled caps are more likely to make a comeback in the Majors then pullovers are.

Good points. I wouldn't say they're "back" either, but they are back for the Orioles and I think it would be cool if they made it their "thing", whether other teams followed or not.

A question to ball cap guru's out there: How many white or multicolored panel caps has MLB had, and at what point in time were they most prevalent? Off the top of my head, I can think of O's, White Sox, Padres, Expos, Braves, Brewers... I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them.

Archived