Orioles 2012 Changes

Bill813

Like you mentioned, a B could stand for Boston, Baltimore, Bosnia, Bears, Beets, Battlestar Gallactia, etc.

If we can't use a "B" for "Baltimore" because a B could stand for anything, then any letter could stand for anything and the entire concept of ballcap monograms as geographic designators has been rendered meaningless. Of course, it hasn't. You're not smart.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like you mentioned, a B could stand for Boston, Baltimore, Bosnia, Bears, Beets, Battlestar Gallactia, etc.

If we can't use a "B" for "Baltimore" because a B could stand for anything, then any letter could stand for anything and the entire concept of ballcap monograms as geographic designators has been rendered meaningless. Of course, it hasn't. You're not smart.

Oh - and Battlestar Galactica can only be represented by "BSG"

[/frakkincylons]

I realize that Boston's "B" could potentially be an issue, but we already have 2 teams with "NY", and multiple teams that use a "C".

Why not another "B" logo?

Hated division rivals. The teams that share letters on caps (Pirates/Phillies, Mets/Yankees, Indians/Cubs/Rockies, Jays/Rangers, Angels/Braves, Diamondbacks/Tigers) aren't in each others' divisions.

Nice of you to ignore Reds/Cubs

Honest oversight. I stand corrected.

You're not smart.

Thanks for the personal insult. It's nice to know that my personal opinions about logos translate to reflections on my intelligence in your mind.

My point is that a "B" is less distinctive as a logo than a bird profile at this point, unless you're the Red Sox and have an iconic B logo that has stood the test of time. If the O's had adopted a B logo years ago, maybe it would be an icon by now, but it would just be too bland at this point.

The Orioles are often referred to as "the birds" (both locally and around the league) so it makes sense that there's a bird on their cap.

@DCDuck, I misread this comment by you and thought you were pointing out that in addition to standing for Balmer, the B could also stand for Birds as a bonus. I think we're in the midst of competitive agreement.

Grunge-Logos.png

As it's been said, "Birds" and "O's" is more synonymous with the Orioles than "Baltimore" - which is why their cap logos consist of a bird (cartoon or rendered) and "O's".

Mascots on caps are rare enough in MLB today anyway. I think the cartoon bird face is charming - which is appropriate for a team based in what's known as "Charm City".

You're not smart.

Thanks for the personal insult. It's nice to know that my personal opinions about logos translate to reflections on my intelligence in your mind.

he was wrong to do so. Attack the post, not the poster.

That having been said, your argument was silly at best, disingenuous at worst.

You're not smart.

he was wrong to do so. Attack the post, not the poster.

That having been said, your argument was silly at best, disingenuous at worst.

Mostly DCDuck's post with all the "B" cities inspired me to work in an "Office" reference to go with the "30 Rock" clip. If we could get an "Arrested Development" reference in here, this thread would have the Iron Triad of Comedy Power. Maybe something about not getting the rights to "Free Bird..."

But I don't think it's silly to say that a bird, ornithologically correct or cartoon, is more distinctive than a letter "B" would be. I think a letter "B" is just too bland when compared to the O's history of bird logos, and with none of the "O"vertones of an "O's" logo, as demonstrated by Avery Jessup.

Grunge-Logos.png

Bland is, I think, in the eye of the beholder.

I think the modern birds are more bland than a well-executed "B" logo.

But your point is fair enough: match the Red Sox' B with any O's logo of the past 20 years and I think you'd have a clear winner in the court of public opinion/brand identity. That's why I said that whatever the O's do, I wish they'd stick with it, win some ballgames, and let their logo become iconic by being successful.

In the end it'll be moot because I'm sure whatever they pick will disappoint everyone.

Also, I couldn't think of an "AD" reference, so I went with the Dude instead.

Grunge-Logos.png

The Oriole is the state bird of Maryland, so the mascot does carry a good deal of significance. The letter "B" does not, aside from incidentally being the first letter of the city in which the team plays.

Again, I don't like the idea of homogenizing MLB any more than it already is. The only teams that come to mind as still having their mascot on their caps are the Black Jays and the Indians.

The Oriole is the state bird of Maryland, so the mascot does carry a good deal of significance. The letter "B" does not, aside from incidentally being the first letter of the city in which the team plays.

Again, I don't like the idea of homogenizing MLB any more than it already is. The only teams that come to mind as still having their mascot on their caps are the Black Jays and the Indians.

Do the D-Backs count? Also, you could say that the A's qualify in a way...

Grunge-Logos.png

I guess you could include the D-backs too, but in the case of the O's, Jays and Indians the mascot serves as just the mascot, and not the letter mark.

How would the A's qualify? I know it is their team name instead of city name, but that's not really a "mascot" or atleast not to me. If they had an elephant on one of their caps, that would be a different story.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

How would the A's qualify? I know it is their team name instead of city name, but that's not really a "mascot" or atleast not to me. If they had an elephant on one of their caps, that would be a different story.

I was just kidding. Usually the mascot and team name are the same, which is why I said they qualify "in a way." A cap logo with an elephant wearing a cap with an A on it would cover all the bases.

Grunge-Logos.png

Archived