Orioles 2012 Changes

Bill813

Extremely.

so they will wear the cartoon bird on the hats, but their current logo won't change

i dont think i like that

Not following, where are you getting that? Seems like they're saying there's going to be a new cartoon bird. Apologies if I'm missing something.

no, I got that as well.

New cartoon bird, incorporates elements of old cartoon birds, nothing about keeping the current logo in any capacity.

i only brought it up because the main site has the current logo still in use. it says "2009-present"

the 2011 baltimore script ends in 2011 on the site, and the 2011 bird hat also ends in 2011

im just assuming the current logo isn't changing

everything i see is just about the hats changing, not the current logo

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Oriole is the state bird of Maryland, so the mascot does carry a good deal of significance. The letter "B" does not, aside from incidentally being the first letter of the city in which the team plays.

Again, I don't like the idea of homogenizing MLB any more than it already is. The only teams that come to mind as still having their mascot on their caps are the Black Jays and the Indians.

Do the D-Backs count? Also, you could say that the A's qualify in a way...

You could also count the Houston Astros as well

Regarding the letter "B" as Baltimore's cap logo, I think it's cool that the Orioles are just a little different with their logos.

29 out of 30 MLB teams use a letter or initials for their cap logo. The Astros are the lone "star" team without either.

I'll give "A's", "O's", and "Sox" a pass, because while those are letters, they are actually nicknames and not really initials.

Although they will have new logos next season, I give the Blue Jays and Marlins credit for incorporating mascots with their letters. The D-Backs did something even cooler with their "D" shaped snake logo, and even their alternate "A" hat has a hidden snake head and teeth.

Indians primary is still good 'ol Chief Whaoo, but I wouldn't be surprised to see their alternate "C" used more often in the future.

Brewers still use their "MB" ball in glove shaped logo as an alternate, which still remains one of the coolest logos ever.

You have the Cardinals with their alternate cardinal perched on bat logo, and the Bosox with their alternate hanging sox logo, but you really don't see them wearing those too often.

Finally, and maybe it's not even worth mentioning, the Angel's "A" with halo, the Braves alternate "A" with tomahawk, the Brewers "M" with barley, and Seattle's "S" with compass. Everything else in the MLB is just a single letter or interlocked initials. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just glad the O's are different.

You could well be right.

Don't think that would be a terribly good move, though. Pick a style and run with it, or you end up with a muddled identity like the Rays - rays of sunlight, or the kind of fish?

i actually made a mistake and just edited my post

i meant im assuming the current logo isn't changing and there will be the problem you just named.

what is it baltimore? cartoon birds or real birds?

Is that a tradition thing or just a personal pet peeve?

I don't recall the Orioles ever having a city initial cap (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Their most successful years came during the cartoon bird cap era, and the first half of the Camden Yards era (pre-Mussina departure, everything hitting the fan, and 10 years of being the laughing stock of the American League) were all with the rendered bird cap or "O's".

The Orioles briefly used a block "B" cap, maybe in their first year. I know that a mascot cap was worn by the minor league team going back at least to the 1930s.

I don't mind a bird cap for the Orioles. Personally, my only issue is with the 0's cap. The mascot initial thing is my own pet peeve, based in part on baseball tradition and a desire to avoid diminishing local references (I would similarly mandate a city name on the road uniforms).

FWIW, the Yankees wore an 0 cap when they were the Baltimore Orioles, which really ought to eliminate it from consideration. ;)

I remember having a baseball card of an Orioles player in around 1964, and he wore a block B on his cap. I think the player's name was Joe Gaines.

Ain't it amazing how one can remember things like that from when you're a little kid?

Is that a tradition thing or just a personal pet peeve?

I don't recall the Orioles ever having a city initial cap (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Their most successful years came during the cartoon bird cap era, and the first half of the Camden Yards era (pre-Mussina departure, everything hitting the fan, and 10 years of being the laughing stock of the American League) were all with the rendered bird cap or "O's".

Dressed to the Nines says 1963 was the only year they wore a B on the hat.

al_1963_baltimore.gif

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I don't think anyone's suggesting they go back to that.

For years, the Orioles have sold a really sharp looking fan cap with a sort of italicized Old English "B" on it. Something like that would be head and shoulders above the 0's cap.

Hey! It's O's, not 0's!! :lol:

I noticed that too. And I like the "O's" logo as an alternate/BP cap, for the reasons previously discussed. It's their nickname and an important linguistic element in the Balmer accent. I think I'll add the O's logo to my post in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread...

Grunge-Logos.png

Archived