Orioles 2012 Changes

Bill813

I don't think anyone's suggesting they go back to that.

For years, the Orioles have sold a really sharp looking fan cap with a sort of italicized Old English "B" on it. Something like that would be head and shoulders above the 0's cap.

Hey! It's O's, not 0's!! :lol:

I noticed that too. And I like the "O's" logo as an alternate/BP cap, for the reasons previously discussed. It's their nickname and an important linguistic element in the Balmer accent. I think I'll add the O's logo to my post in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread...

Somehow I think the O's logo is only unpopular on internet message boards. On the street, I seem to see a lot more people wearing that particular cap than the realistic bird cap. And to the complainers, it is, after all, only a once a week alternate cap. It's not like it's become their primary. Plus, it's just a nice, clean logo that looks really sharp with their black jerseys.

Back to the new 2012 caps...

I've never particularly had a problem with the various variations of the realistic bird caps. When it was introduced, the Orioles had just been through a few losing seasons, including their worst in 1988, so I think at the time, (1989) putting a new version of the realistic bird on their caps was a refreshing change. That's right around the time I started seriously following baseball and I remember being excited about that hat. In fact, it was my first authentic, on-field cap. I think that cap also fit in well with the Birds moving to Camden Yards in '92.

That said, I think the cartoon bird has proven himself as THE classic Orioles logo. If the realistic bird ever makes its way back on the caps again, I think it should be as an alternate only.

Man I can't wait till mid November!!

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember having a baseball card of an Orioles player in around 1964, and he wore a block B on his cap. I think the player's name was Joe Gaines.

Ain't it amazing how one can remember things like that from when you're a little kid?

This must have been the one. A 1964 Topps card depicting the previous season's uniform.

ee8fc962-8f19-4fda-9315-6a50917f6638.jpg

For years, the Orioles have sold a really sharp looking fan cap with a sort of italicized Old English "B" on it. Something like that would be head and shoulders above the 0's cap.

I noticed that too. And I like the "O's" logo as an alternate/BP cap, for the reasons previously discussed. It's their nickname and an important linguistic element in the Balmer accent. I think I'll add the O's logo to my post in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread...

Somehow I think the O's logo is only unpopular on internet message boards. On the street, I seem to see a lot more people wearing that particular cap than the realistic bird cap. And to the complainers, it is, after all, only a once a week alternate cap. It's not like it's become their primary. Plus, it's just a nice, clean logo that looks really sharp with their black jerseys.

I've never particularly had a problem with the various variations of the realistic bird caps. When it was introduced, the Orioles had just been through a few losing seasons, including their worst in 1988, so I think at the time, (1989) putting a new version of the realistic bird on their caps was a refreshing change. That's right around the time I started seriously following baseball and I remember being excited about that hat. In fact, it was my first authentic, on-field cap. I think that cap also fit in well with the Birds moving to Camden Yards in '92.

That said, I think the cartoon bird has proven himself as THE classic Orioles logo. If the realistic bird ever makes its way back on the caps again, I think it should be as an alternate only.

really???...for the majority of the team's existence they've used the realistic bird...the cartoon bird was a novelty that reeks of the 70's and early 80's and will be completely played out (again) within 5 years when the team goes back to the classic bird.

really???...for the majority of the team's existence they've used the realistic bird...the cartoon bird was a novelty that reeks of the 70's and early 80's and will be completely played out (again) within 5 years when the team goes back to the classic bird.

The Orioles greatest success (3 WS Championships) came with the Cartoon Bird on the cap.

I'm real happy to see it coming back.

The Orioles greatest success (3 WS Championships) came with the Cartoon Bird on the cap.

My thoughts exactly.

That (in and of itself) isn't a great reason to bring it back, though.

If you like the cartoon bird logo from an aesthetic standpoint, then fine. Root for it to come back.

But if teams held onto looks just because they were successful with them, we would have very ugly- and dated-looking leagues.

Some logos just look dated and past their time. The orioles cartoon bird is an example of that. Whether they sucked with it or rocked with it, I hope they don't bring the original back.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

My thoughts exactly.

Yup, the cartoon bird logo has 19 out of 23 winning seasons. That includes 7 trips to the ALCS, 6 pennants and 3 World Series championships. Not to mention, the Orioles were the winningest team in baseball during that span.

The other logos add up to 11 out of 35 winning seasons, including 2 ALCS appearances.

Can't wait to see the new hat. I never liked how Baltimore and Orioles tapered off, so the improvement on the wordmark should also be a nice change.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Excellent. I'm reallly glad they are fixing the Baltimore script. I think they could do little things to fix the bird head, such as adding a black outline on the lower beak. I hope they use placket piping. This was a great look.

Brooks3.jpg

Oh my, that's a beautiful uniform. I think that's the best Baltimore has ever looked. I'd love to see a return to those very socks as well.

How bout if they add a black alternate for the road with "Baltimore" on the chest and orange piping and a Orange alternate for home with black piping.

My thoughts exactly.

That (in and of itself) isn't a great reason to bring it back, though.

If you like the cartoon bird logo from an aesthetic standpoint, then fine. Root for it to come back.

But if teams held onto looks just because they were successful with them, we would have very ugly- and dated-looking leagues.

Some logos just look dated and past their time. The orioles cartoon bird is an example of that. Whether they sucked with it or rocked with it, I hope they don't bring the original back.

You cut out the context of my response - the person before me said they had the realistic bird for most of their existence - another reason (as you put it) that in and of itself is not a reason to keep it. I was just pointing out the other side of this, namely, their greatest success came with the Cartoon Bird.

Aesthetically speaking, the Cartoon Bird is, to me, much better than the realistic looking one. That is why I'm rooting for it to come back, it is one of my favorite caps of all-time.

Trevell will find this extra intriguing...

In the Baltimore Sun's photo gallery recounting the past Oriole Glove Winners, I found the pictures below. I assume Luis Aparicio's picture (left) to be from 1966, Paul Blair's (center) from 1975, and Bobby Grich's (right) from 1976.

aparicio66.pngblair75.pnggrich7576.png

More photos can be found here.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

In the Baltimore Sun's photo gallery recounting the past Oriole Glove Winners, I found the pictures below. I assume Luis Aparicio's picture (left) to be from 1966, Paul Blair's (center) from 1975, and Bobby Grich's (right) from 1976.

I dig the Aparicio version of the Cartoon Bird the best - the head is pretty close to a circle in design, it seems all balanced out and as symmetrical as a design of a cartoon head can be. The newer version seems to be a little longer. Check out Trevell's sig file for comparisons (the first one and the last one).

I dig the Aparicio version of the Cartoon Bird the best - the head is pretty close to a circle in design, it seems all balanced out and as symmetrical as a design of a cartoon head can be. The newer version seems to be a little longer. Check out Trevell's sig file for comparisons (the first one and the last one).

Seconded...

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

Brooks3.jpg

I think a cleaned up version of this script would be great. Clean it up, add a little more uniqueness to it... would look great.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Great pics, NDwas, thanks for posting!

I guess it's pretty close, but I kind of thought the bird on Grich's cap (same as my avatar) was a little more symmetrical. The bird on Blair's cap is pretty much the same design as Grich's, but it's made with a different thread/embroidery. Here's the comparison:

100_0139-2.jpg

And here's another pic from NDwas link of Eddie Murray from July, 1980, sporting the later cartoon bird cap, just because he looks so bad ass:

eddie.jpg

Great pics, NDwas, thanks for posting!

I guess it's pretty close, but I kind of thought the bird on Grich's cap (same as my avatar) was a little more symmetrical. The bird on Blair's cap is pretty much the same design as Grich's, but it's made with a different thread/embroidery. Here's the comparison:

100_0139-2.jpg

And here's another pic from NDwas link of Eddie Murray from July, 1980, sporting the later cartoon bird cap, just because he looks so bad ass:

eddie.jpg

I considered those factors, but the 1966 design is much cleaner in execution on the cap itself - the orange paneled and white paneled designs are a little haphazard in stitching and detail.

Archived