Tampa Bay Storm to unveil New Logo and Uniform

Gary

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sure does look more like yellow than gold in the photos. I'm not sure that the old unis were anything special (although that new wordmark seems to go better with the old drop shadow numbers) but being the team with the most history gave it a bit of a pass. I guess I'd have liked to see them keep the gold helmets and the original storm-O. The football laces don't really do it for me. Too bad they never went with the rumored storm-O only on the helmet. This doesn't work as well.

Honestly, with that overused number font, at first glance they looked like the Chicago Rush with a yellow side panel. Of course, the Rush seem to be black and silver now...

Seriously, :censored: Russell and that :censored: ing font.

Totally. Agreed. How hard is it to create another font?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Didn't realize this was a Lightning bashing thread.

Jesus.

Everyone here is simply commenting on their change of unis and primary colors, not bashing. Let's not jump the gun here.

Probably was directed more towards Legend rather than you.

Lightning bashing? If that was directed at me, I find it odd being I have been a season ticket holder since they played in the Thunderdome and am a huge fan.

As a big fan and season ticket holder, I reserve the right to hate their new identity and call it the joke it is. I also can tie the Lightning and Storm together, since the same pathetic company is getting paid to do a crap job again. And the owners are insistant on using the crappies lightning bolt logo they could find, why would they do any different with the Storm?

SME sucks hard. And Vinik needs to stop trying to reinvent the wheel everywhere he goes just so he can put HIS mark, the only explanation I can see. He needs to stop.

If the rays fans are lucky, maybe he'll own them too. I can't imagine any way they could make that logo worse than it is, I don't think it's possible. But I'd love to find out!

If you believe that... You sir, are an idiot. You do realize that studios have to succumb to what their clients want. In this case, look at your owner and GM, SME was only the means to that end.

And for the record, SME is responsible for these masterpieces:

columbus_logo.gif

wild-logo.gif

JAX_604.gif

Yeah, a bunch of no-talent losers over at SME... :wacko:

I believe my reference was to their recent work. They have done great work in past, just lately its been uninspired.

Jesus.

Everyone here is simply commenting on their change of unis and primary colors, not bashing. Let's not jump the gun here.

Lightning bashing? If that was directed at me, I find it odd being I have been a season ticket holder since they played in the Thunderdome and am a huge fan.

As a big fan and season ticket holder, I reserve the right to hate their new identity and call it the joke it is. I also can tie the Lightning and Storm together, since the same pathetic company is getting paid to do a crap job again. And the owners are insistant on using the crappies lightning bolt logo they could find, why would they do any different with the Storm?

SME sucks hard. And Vinik needs to stop trying to reinvent the wheel everywhere he goes just so he can put HIS mark, the only explanation I can see. He needs to stop.

If the rays fans are lucky, maybe he'll own them too. I can't imagine any way they could make that logo worse than it is, I don't think it's possible. But I'd love to find out!

If you believe that... You sir, are an idiot. You do realize that studios have to succumb to what their clients want. In this case, look at your owner and GM, SME was only the means to that end.

I believe my reference was to their recent work. They have done great work in past, just lately its been uninspired.

Once again, I think it has more to do with WHO they are working with than their skill level as an agency, but I have to agree that this is very uninspired design work. Just because your client already has guidelines for the project it is not an excuse to mail-in inferior work...

Jesus.

Once again, I think it has more to do with WHO they are working with than their skill level as an agency, but I have to agree that this is very uninspired design work. Just because your client already has guidelines for the project it is not an excuse to mail-in inferior work...

So true. Could be client saying i want this but as a designer you have to be able to create genius out of guidelines. Could also be that the designer or designers arent adapt to creating sports based logos as there is a certain flair that needs to be there so fans can be inspired also.

Nothing against SME but if you can't create a sports identity that brings some level of excitement, you've failed, even if the owners do have the final say. Give them a reason to select something exciting and engaging and they might just select something that creates a buzz. No League needs more help branding itself than the AFL... should have been more energy and have an ominous feel.

Not that bad. I'm getting a bit of a retro vibe from the unis/colors, which I dig. The helmet should be gold though, and therefore the color of the "storm" should be primarily blue.

I'll call it push. Not an upgrade, not really a downgrade either.

dl_newlogo_201111051.jpg

TB-Storm_Uniform-644x416.jpg

I guess I'm a minority, I like it.

It's serviceable but what irritates me is that Russell uses maybe three fonts and four templates and there's no style to them. It was great when Nike. And other manufacturers made uniforms for them. I think the helmets might be the only thing teams really control.

Archived