Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

I have.

Then you would know that they don't talk about certain things that might go on in the holler or up yonder. That's what I got from my family and relatives. To this day some of my relatives will not speak about the illegitimate son my grandmother had out of wedlock. 

This is something that has to change in that region but it is a difficult process when it has been ingrained into the culture.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Raping children is okay if it means that this old man gets immortalized."  

You keep trying to argue your way out of the blanket statement, but this is what you're claiming.  You can't win.  You won't win.  You're wrong.  Paterno is dead, his statue is rightfully down, and hopefully they burn his entire existence into ash and then salt the earth they burned it upon.  Just to spite you and anyone poisoned in the head like you who feels there is a debate to be had over the merits of children getting raped by old men and turning a blind eye.  

Plenty of people in this country don't deserve the iconic standing they've had throughout history.  We had rapists, slavers, murderers, and many more undesirables painted and printed and sculpted but the difference is we're trying to be better than our forebears.  Trying.  By restoring a statue of a football coach at the sacrifice of dulling the history of what happened in that place, you're basically declaring acceptance and looking the other way on what happened to those goddamn children.  Which is exactly what Paterno did, which says a lot about you.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

5 hours ago, Viola73 said:

Umm..http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/10/democrats-guns-second-amendment-213229

I didn't bring politics into the discussion, personally. I just responded...it's called a message board. You know, a forum.

Yeah, I'm trying to "win" political points with conservative views on a site so far left that Noam Chomsky looks at some of the comments you guys make and shakes his head.

Now can we get back to your moral reprehensibility.

Ok. In what way am I morally reprehensible? Please try to respond in a way that doesn't involve a conservative-slanted editorial.

As for this board being so far left...um, have you been reading the politics thread? There was a pretty huge debate between Clinton and Sanders supporters, and the majority seemed to side with Clinton. 

I won't deny that this community as a whole is ideologically slanted, but it's not far left. It's left of centre if it's anything. 

Hell, that same thread had some respected left-leaning board members say they'd consider voting Republican in the upcoming Presidential election if the GOP were running someone like Mitt Romney against Hillary Clinton. 

Just goes to show how out of touch you are with a community you insist on insulting.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

I wouldn't mind making an exception and taking a page from Charles II's book. Let's dig him up, charge him, sentence him, and then divide the body up and send the pieces to the most high profile NCAA football programs as a warning.

Seems a bit....morally reprehensible...don't you think?

4 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

Then you would know that they don't talk about certain things that might go on in the holler or up yonder. That's what I got from my family and relatives. To this day some of my relatives will not speak about the illegitimate son my grandmother had out of wedlock. 

This is something that has to change in that region but it is a difficult process when it has been ingrained into the culture.

You do realize that "we don't like to talk about the known child abusers in our community" isn't actually a defense for allowing known child abusers to remain free in your community?

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Thread's one more "I'm not owned" away from "Joe Paterno's corpse will skate on the blood of the non-believers," so I'm just gonna stand back and let it all be.

14 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

I'm trying to "win" political points with conservative views on a site so far left that Noam Chomsky looks at some of the comments you guys make and shakes his head.

See?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, rams80 said:

No, but there were talking about how great that Joe Pa guy was and how much he had done for the region and the school and how they couldn't imagine either without that Joe Pa guy.

Which is a bit of a problem when that Joe Pa guy used his influence in both school and region to effectively protect and enable a child molester from, at bare minimum, 1999 onward.

-------------------------------------------------------

Look, I work in higher ed.  I get annual training that tells me in no uncertain terms that it is my duty that, should I find out that we've got an honest to God child predator in our midst, I am to immediately go to the cops.  Don't kick it upstairs, don't sweep it under the rug, do not pass go, do not collect $200.  (For the record said training also applies to other sexual assault instances).

So, how is it that he was protecting Sandusky when he took McQueary to the guys that could actually do something?

-------------------------------------------

Then McQueary, being a student coach, should have gone to the police immediately instead of calling his father when he saw Sandusky in the showers with the boy. 

Sandusky was allowed to be free for another 12-13 years and got to take what was to the world at the time an honorable retirement complete with a public pension and freedom to use athletic department facilities.  That's protection and enabling in just about anyone's book.

And yet you also expect me to believe that a guy who had enough power and influence to survive the absolute wretchedness of those early 2000s Penn State teams doesn't have enough power to even get a campus/athletic facility ban put into the retirement settlement?

And this ignores that Paterno didn't go to the cops, who were also guys that could actually do something and who you yourself have established that he can easily contact.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

8 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

How many bridges have you built so far?

Yeah, this guy's done.  He's enjoying this too much.  Kind of like Sandusky did in the Penn State showers.  You two would've been good friends, but I bet you were a little too old for his tastes.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

26 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

Umm..http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/10/democrats-guns-second-amendment-213229

I didn't bring politics into the discussion, personally. I just responded...it's called a message board. You know, a forum.

Yeah, I'm trying to "win" political points with conservative views on a site so far left that Noam Chomsky looks at some of the comments you guys make and shakes his head.

Now can we get back to your moral reprehensibility.

We are all protected to share our "social justice warrior" beliefs on the internet without much persecution thanks to the recent BOFA laws enacted by President Obama.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

54 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

The amazing thing is that Viola has acknowledge the culpability of several people.  But there is a blind spot here. Perhaps an example of the negatives of hero-worship.

The thing is people here actually believe Paterno was a god of some sort who lived on Mount Nittany and determined the fate of all those who entered into Centre County. Was Paterno perfect? No, no one is. The fact remains that people, who have never set foot on the campus, let alone the state, or even read ANY of the court documents can be judge, jury, and executioner. It's the Internet, it can't be helped.

But these same people who demonize anyone who makes any defense of either Paterno, the university, or the town of State College, and claim that they are some sort of drooling brainwashed hero worshiping Paterno freak, also believe that Joe was somehow able to put, basically, anyone in prison.

1 minute ago, Viola73 said:

The thing is people here actually believe Paterno was a god of some sort who lived on Mount Nittany and determined the fate of all those who entered into Centre County. Was Paterno perfect? No, no one is. The fact remains that people, who have never set foot on the campus, let alone the state, or even read ANY of the court documents can be judge, jury, and executioner. It's the Internet, it can't be helped.

But these same people who demonize anyone who makes any defense of either Paterno, the university, or the town of State College, and claim that they are some sort of drooling brainwashed hero worshiping Paterno freak, also believe that Joe was somehow able to put, basically, anyone in prison.

Do I believe Paterno could put, basically, anyone in prison?  No, of course  not.  Do I believe Paterno could help ensure that a child molester, in light of all the other available evidence, went to jail?  Almost certainly.  Do I believe that Paterno used his power and influence to instead keep said child molester OUT of jail, much like he did with those football players?   OH HELL YES!!!

The last point, btw, is why everyone here is villifying the ever living daylights out of him and those who think he should still be honored.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

5 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

It's funny how people want to deify him for winning football games, but take that status away and not hold him partially responsible when he could have stopped a child raper. 

39 minutes ago, CS85 said:

"Raping children is okay if it means that this old man gets immortalized."  

You keep trying to argue your way out of the blanket statement, but this is what you're claiming.  You can't win.  You won't win.  You're wrong.  Paterno is dead, his statue is rightfully down, and hopefully they burn his entire existence into ash and then salt the earth they burned it upon.  Just to spite you and anyone poisoned in the head like you who feels there is a debate to be had over the merits of children getting raped by old men and turning a blind eye.  

Plenty of people in this country don't deserve the iconic standing they've had throughout history.  We had rapists, slavers, murderers, and many more undesirables painted and printed and sculpted but the difference is we're trying to be better than our forebears.  Trying.  By restoring a statue of a football coach at the sacrifice of dulling the history of what happened in that place, you're basically declaring acceptance and looking the other way on what happened to those goddamn children.  Which is exactly what Paterno did, which says a lot about you.

You are quoting yourself there. 

No, you are putting the entire blame on this on Paterno, when there is a mountain of facts and evidence that says a great deal of others turned the other way or did nothing. 

I get it. You don't feel good as a human being for what ever reason, you don't have to get into it if you don't want, but ignoring all the facts involved in the case and concentrating on one individual as the sole culprit makes you look ignorant. 

I do hope you are able to come to terms with whatever demons are haunting you.

Take care.

8 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

You are quoting yourself there. 

No, you are putting the entire blame on this on Paterno, when there is a mountain of facts and evidence that says a great deal of others turned the other way or did nothing. 

I get it. You don't feel good as a human being for what ever reason, you don't have to get into it if you don't want, but ignoring all the facts involved in the case and concentrating on one individual as the sole culprit makes you look ignorant and as Ice_Cap likes to call...morally reprehensible. 

I do hope you are able to come to terms with whatever demons are haunting you.

Take care.

Edit:  Good.  

twitter

He's been suspended? That's a little lame. The guy is wrong and dumb, but he's also the only one offering a differing view.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Just now, DG_Now said:

He's been suspended? That's a little lame. The guy is wrong and dumb, but he's also the only one offering a differing view.

He was trolling.  It's a weird thing ignorant conservatives do when they feel morally obligated to stir the hornet's nest and be as mule-headed as possible just to get a laugh.  It's not even something that can be debated, really.  Raping children is bad.  Enabling child rape is bad.  What's to argue?  He was just gonna go and go and go.

twitter

Archived