Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To joyfully and proudly take credit for hurting a defenseless human being is sad, in and of itself. But, to couple this gleeful statement with a willful ignorance of the facts and circumstances surrounding our coach speaks to a complete lack of character and moral integrity on the part of Mr. Levy.

Scorch the earth. Salt the ground. Pee on the salt.

• 2 weeks later...

Judge realizes McQuery is a person who cannot be hired and as a result, increases his judgment by $5M on Friday.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/east/2016/12/02/433839.htm

Judge Thomas Gavin ruled in favor of Mike McQueary’s whistleblower claim, adding more than $5 million to the $7.3 million jury verdict for defamation and misrepresentation.

“Only when the `Sandusky Matter’ became public was Mr. McQueary subjected to disparate treatment and adverse employment consequences,” Gavin wrote. He said the decision to order McQueary to keep out of athletic facilities after placing him on administrative leave with pay in November 2011 “was the equivalent of banishment.”

The judge said McQueary was humiliated in several respects, including “being told to clean out his office in the presence of Penn State personnel, an action that suggests he had done something wrong and was not to be trusted.

I've been wondering whether this run by Penn State would fuel any JoePa talk.  And I don't think it really has.  I scrolled through their Football Facebook stories and found only one comment about Paterno being happy about this...and nothing about "now let's get that statue up."

The harsh punishment that most of us wanted did not come to fruition and now we've moved back to the point where Penn State is a national powerhouse...wow, that did not take long did it?

So I think the lessons and improved practice going forward are minimal.  For the most part we did not learn anything except for confirmation of the depressing notion that football trumps decency and that we can talk ourselves into just about anything when hero-worship is in play.  What happened at Penn State (dozens of people willfully ignoring on-going disgusting acts) can happen elsewhere.  But the aftermath was in some ways even more disturbing. Not just the sheer volume of the Penn State faithful continuing to lionize this man (which is frightening) but the "neutral masses" who basically said "let's not punish the players," as if that's the important victim group, and "well, they got rid of all the bad guys" as if that actually can clean up a poisonous culture. 

For this little corner of the world (college athletics) a huge opportunity was missed in hitting them with a good decade off of football.  And not to be punitive, either. 

• First, I am a believer that getting rid of the bad guys is no way to eradicate the culture that caused the issue in the first place.  They got rid of everyone and then said "OK, let's get back to the Rose Bowl as soon as possible."  Are the "innocents" that remain connected to the athletic department and the University really going to stop cutting corners and bending rules for that team?  Maybe a Sandusky situation won't happen again, but some other messed-up stuff could (and by keeping the culture intact, it's some degree more likely), which brings me to...
  • Second, this was the opportunity to set up a deterrent.  "If a player in your program is accused of sexual assault, we're not going to punish you at all, provided you cooperate and there's no evidence that you've tried to cover it up."  But any cover-up of such things could and should end in a year or two off.  And if that threat was there, there'd probably be no cover-ups because coaches and administrators would be thinking about their own jobs.  Sure, we don't think a Sandusky situation will happen, but your run of the mill college date rape?  By someone with 11 sacks and 13.5 tackles for loss?  Any chance the school / athletic department will cover that up so the program can be hidden from embarrassment and the team can win its rivalry game next week?  Why not?  The NCAA is absolutely impotent on all such things...just make sure your star RB did not get a free taco from his position coach.

And Gus Johnson's statement about the win helping "heal" is interesting.  It kinda shows where so many people are in relation to this...it's become something that's happened too Penn State.  The NCAA picked on them (as proven by their pulling back of the punishments and essentially apologizing).  They lost scholarships.  They are expected to wrestle with the conflict of what to think of their great coach (they are failing miserably).  They did not contend in the Big Ten East for a couple of years.  And now, Penn State football is right back where they were when ignorance was true bliss.  And all's right with the world. Well, unless you think it's Sandusky's victims that are the ones with healing to do; and you don't think going to the Rose Bowl is key in said healing.  But really, how many people think that.

Meanwhile, I have no idea what to do; so I talk football...how awesome the QB was picking apart the Wisconsin defense yesterday.  I take the high road.  Especially since it was my team that was on the wrong end of the greatest day in Happy Valley since before the scandal broke (i.e., I'd be accused of deflecting). Because virtually nobody wants to hear about this (which I get).  And I'm not going to change the world.  And the opportunities; they're all missed.  Everyone failed.

EDIT: This board and Deadspin are the only places where I run across people who "get it."  I'm glad there are some people that do...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

7 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

And Gus Johnson's statement about the win helping "heal" is interesting.  It kinda shows where so many people are in relation to this...it's become something that's happened too Penn State.  The NCAA picked on them (as proven by their pulling back of the punishments and essentially apologizing).  They lost scholarships.  They are expected to wrestle with the conflict of what to think of their great coach (they are failing miserably).  They did not contend in the Big Ten East for a couple of years.  And now, Penn State football is right back where they were when ignorance was true bliss.  And all's right with the world. Well, unless you think it's Sandusky's victims that are the ones with healing to do; and you don't think going to the Rose Bowl is key in said healing.  But really, how many people think that.

Meanwhile, I have no idea what to do; so I talk football...how awesome the QB was picking apart the Wisconsin defense yesterday.  I take the high road.  Especially since it was my team that was on the wrong end of the greatest day in Happy Valley since before the scandal broke (i.e., I'd be accused of deflecting). Because virtually nobody wants to hear about this (which I get).  And I'm not going to change the world.  And the opportunities; they're all missed.  Everyone failed.

EDIT: This board and Deadspin are the only places where I run across people who "get it."  I'm glad there are some people that do...

The Paterno/Sandusky stuff is odd right now.  Happy Valley cretins are happy to gaslight themselves into this weird "football program & sports history over HERE, and child rape over HERE" thing where they want to completely exorcise this unspeakable evil out of people's memories via WINNING, YEAHHHHH!!!

But to just summarize the issue, nothing says it better than this now-deleted tweet by some PSU chump:

Cy2pUFVUAAASIaU.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

^ I started to feel for Penn State fans and then had to remind myself that those people deserve neither football success nor happiness. If it was any other program, though....

That guy went on to berate "morons" because "obviously I meant in a sports tragedy sense. Grow up!" One, it's not a great sports tragedy. You lost 2 games and nobody ever said you had to win the conference to be in the playoff. It's not even the greatest sports tragedy in Penn State football history (the undefeated 94 team that didn't win a national title instantly comes to mind). Two, can you at least try to have a little perspective?

PvO6ZWJ.png

38 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Two, can you at least try to have a little perspective?

To have perspective people need to have a working brain. 

JoeBots clearly don't have that.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• 2 months later...

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/2fcc70b19b6a484bb122bb9d4724e844/jerry-sanduskys-son-jeffrey-charged-child-sexual-abuse?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Top25

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) — One of Jerry Sandusky's adult sons faces multiple charges of sexual offenses involving children, more than five years after the former Penn State assistant coach was himself first arrested.

Court records filed Monday say 41-year-old Jeffrey S. Sandusky was charged with 14 counts, including criminal solicitation and corruption of minors.

The online court docket says Jeffrey Sandusky was arraigned Monday and bail was set at $200,000. He's currently in the Centre County Correctional Facility.

Jeffrey Sandusky's lawyer didn't immediately return a phone message. The district attorney's office says it is about to release a statement.

WTAJ-TV says state police accuse him of sending inappropriate texts to a victim and asking for naked photos.

Jerry Sandusky is serving a lengthy prison sentence for sexual abuse of 10 boys.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

3 minutes ago, CS85 said:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/2fcc70b19b6a484bb122bb9d4724e844/jerry-sanduskys-son-jeffrey-charged-child-sexual-abuse?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Top25

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) — One of Jerry Sandusky's adult sons faces multiple charges of sexual offenses involving children, more than five years after the former Penn State assistant coach was himself first arrested.

Court records filed Monday say 41-year-old Jeffrey S. Sandusky was charged with 14 counts, including criminal solicitation and corruption of minors.

The online court docket says Jeffrey Sandusky was arraigned Monday and bail was set at $200,000. He's currently in the Centre County Correctional Facility.

Jeffrey Sandusky's lawyer didn't immediately return a phone message. The district attorney's office says it is about to release a statement.

WTAJ-TV says state police accuse him of sending inappropriate texts to a victim and asking for naked photos.

Jerry Sandusky is serving a lengthy prison sentence for sexual abuse of 10 boys.

this comes to mind when i read this:

Image result for as the stomach turns

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Sadly, I'm not all that surprised.

From a purely objective standpoint, you have to at least consider the strong possibility that a man who engaged in sexual practices with underage boys would have done so with his own children.

Statistically, most pedophiles were, themselves, the victims of sexual abuse. This is why it is so crucial for juvenile victims of sexual abuse to undergo rigorous therapy.

It's a sick cycle that happens all the time, we are just watching this one play out on a national stage.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• 4 weeks later...

Glad somebody's taking responsibility.  It's been like 5 years.  

twitter

Archived