Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

No no no. I feel no sympathy for JoePa not reporting this whatsoever and that's what it sounds like she is saying.

Again put your best friend in the role of Sandusky and yourself in paterno's role. What do you do?

Personally and i bet 95% of you: My friendship is over with the monster and I call the cops. And I potentially take matters into my own hands but I don't know that for certain. I don't care what the past was because it was all a lie. It wasn't real, that person deceived you on the worst level possible.

The only way I feel bad for JoePa was his friend deceived him for years before he knew what was going on. That sucks, it really does. But once you know, it's over. You actually didnt know that person at all and he never was your friend. Any sympathy I have for JoePa losing a close friend is null because of his actions after he knew.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sally Jenkins in yesterday's Washington Post

From the column:

Try to forgive Joe Paterno: When he looked at Jerry Sandusky, he didn't see a dirty old man in a raincoat. He saw a friend, a close colleague, and a churchy do-gooder. He saw a nice guy. You'd have seen the same thing. Think not? You think you can see a clear-cut difference between an alleged child molester and a youth coach? How exactly? By the hunchback and the M-shaped scar on his forehead that says, "I'm a molester"?

This is absolutely true. Sandusky did not look like a child molester any more than any other people that had gotten away with it. So there is no way Paterno could have known here. Unless there is something different. Oh, yeah, the guy was caught in the act and Paterno was told about it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Poor move by Penn State to let JoePa finish out the season.

Equally poor move from the Big Ten to allow PSU to finish its conference schedule. Penn State will benefit from football games yet to be played, and that ain't right.

The Big Ten and the NCAA should take the moral stand no one at Penn State wad courageous enough to do.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Equally poor move from the Big Ten to allow PSU to finish its conference schedule. Penn State will benefit from football games yet to be played, and that ain't right.

The Big Ten and the NCAA should take the moral stand no one at Penn State wad courageous enough to do.

So are you saying that the players on the team DO NOT deserve to finish the season? They did nothing wrong!

spacer.png

So are you saying that the players on the team DO NOT deserve to finish the season? They did nothing wrong!

Do you think those players even want to go out there and play for Paterno, knowing what they know now? I don't.

6uXNWAo.png

I agree, that the NCAA should not keep the kids from playing out the rest of the season...As much as it's a moral sh@#storm of what has come to light, the kids don't deserve to be punished for what happened 9 years ago...

I still am shocked that PSU is allowing JoePa to finish out the season....

By not terminating Paterno he continues to receive a pension and benefits.

His statement is not on the university's web site, their news page, or on the athletics's homepage. They are trying their darndest to keep their liability to the bare minimum.

Do you think Penn State players even want to go out there and play for Paterno, knowing what they know now? I don't.

I'd feel pretty bad for players, particularly seniors, that have to just suddenly have their season (or career) cut short. I'd rather see PSU play it out and even play in a bowl (though I don't know that a bowl will take 'em). Of course, I'd most like to see that done without the offending coaches included...I don't know enough about their staff to know how many coaches that would be.

McQueary is the guy that I can't see anyone wanting to play for. I assume he won't be there on Saturday. As for Paterno, I don't know how they feel.

I am on the fence. As I said, I feel bad for the players already, but I'd feel worse if they had to just stop now. On the other hand, this is unprecedented and maybe the Big Ten should have no choice. Or maybe they should say "you can play, but not with Paterno or McQueary on the sideline."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Do you think those players even want to go out there and play for Paterno, knowing what they know now? I don't.

Those kids want to play football. They aren't going to boycott just because pedophilia enablers coach the team. Once they step out on the field, nothing outside of that 60 minutes of football is going through their heads.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. A lot more kids have been punished by Penn State than current football players ever will be

Let me be clear: The current Penn State leadership team has provided support for a child rapist over the past 20 years. The highest level of school administration decided its football program was more important than protecting little boys from being raped.

To me, there is no question that football operations should be shut down immediately until everyone involved is removed from the campus.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

i'm simply gpoing to say this :censored: joe :censored:ing parterno and :censored: penn state. they are both enablers for kidtouching and theydeserve to have NO FANS IN THE STADIUM for the remainder of their games. make them play in front of nobody. no TV either. and ban parterno from the :censored:ing stadium too.

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

Penn State University could care less about the victims here. They're also keeping Joe Paterno onboard for the rest of the year to make huge dollars off of this disgusting act.

@darrenrovell Fans/brokers are listing this week's Penn State tickets at an avg of $286.96. Yesterday at 1pm ET it was $143.34

Which begs the question: Who would even want to go to this game??

6uXNWAo.png

Penn State University could care less about the victims here. They're also keeping Joe Paterno onboard for the rest of the year to make huge dollars off of this disgusting act.

@darrenrovell Fans/brokers are listing this week's Penn State tickets at an avg of $286.96. Yesterday at 1pm ET it was $143.34

Which begs the question: Who would even want to go to this game??

Right. That's why I'm so insistent some controlling organization should step in and actually punish Penn State, because they definitely won't punish themselves. People need to understand that it's not okay for universities to provide cover for child rapists and that many of the people still in charge at PSU today are implicated. More so than any cheating or booster scandal, Penn State deserves swift and immediate punishment. Given that fun Saturday football games are at the heart of why kids were systematically raped over the past 20 years, perhaps Penn State's privilege to perform in said games needs to be revokes. Now.

Penn State definitely deserves sanctions. Sure, you can say how they will change and you don't want to punish the new people, but look at what happened to U$C, and no one was raped or hurt with them.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

@SportsCenter BREAKING NEWS: AP source: Joe Paterno will retire at end of the season

No. NO. This guy doesn't deserve a farewell. For a decade, JOE PATERNO HELPED A CHILD PREDATOR GET AWAY WITH IT. He would've been gone a long time ago had this come out when it happened, but still they're gonna give him another three games or so? :censored: naw! Penn State will regret not canning him immediately. Sad.

^^

This is absurd. Way to grant special circumstances to a coach amidst scandal (which is pretty much what they did with Sandusky, so I shouldn't be surprised).

Does McQueary still have a job? If so, WHY?! The guy will never, ever work in football again but that shouldn't start when the season ends. Sheesh.

Deadspin's reporting Spanier will be voted out by the end of the day.

It's just after lunch time on the east coast - hopefully right now he's packing his crap in his office away with a throng of angry parents outside watching. Son of a bitch is probably practicing his lines and dumbing himself down for any questions.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Yes, that's what I'm saying. A lot more kids have been punished by Penn State than current football players ever will be

Let me be clear: The current Penn State leadership team has provided support for a child rapist over the past 20 years. The highest level of school administration decided its football program was more important than protecting little boys from being raped.

To me, there is no question that football operations should be shut down immediately until everyone involved is removed from the campus.

I'm sort of split on this. On one hand I agree with you; end the season now and start cleaning house. Allowing them to play out the season will be seen as a tacit endorsement of the actions (or lack thereof) of the program and it's handling of the allegations. Nothing good can come from Penn State playing football right now. Ending the season is probably the right thing to do.

EDIT: Changed my mind. They need to shut it down.

BB52Big.jpg

By not terminating Paterno he continues to receive a pension and benefits.

His statement is not on the university's web site, their news page, or on the athletics's homepage. They are trying their darndest to keep their liability to the bare minimum.

He could keep his benefits if he just retired today. Obviously JoePa isn't the bigger man in this instance which frankly is further hurting his legacy (what's left of it). Now he and his name will be dragged through the mud the rest of the season as they should.

I can't entirely blame Paterno. You have to think with a history and tradition like Penn State's, I'm CERTAIN there are rumors every week that swirl. It may not be something as serious as child molestation, but I'm sure there were rumors and stories just as crazy. I think Paterno did the right thing in passing the message up the ladder. I think given the circumstances and the nature of a top level program, passing it up the ladder was probably the right thing to do. I am trying to put myself in those JoPa's shoes. I didn't see anything, I was told by ONE person of something they thing they saw. Like I said, I think the smart thing to do was pass it up the ladder, however, I don't necessarily think he did the BEST thing in that situation.

Now when it comes to McQueary, I think he was 90% in the wrong. First and foremost, he should of ran in there and beat Sandusky over the head with a lead pipe. Second, he should have grabbed that kid and told him to run until he finds and officer and don't leave his side. Third, he should have reported it to Paterno, the AD, the President and then proceed to inform all 3 that if none of them contacted the police with in 5 minutes, he would go the police.

It's hard for me to completely chastise Paterno because he was going off of hear-say (basically). By no means does that excuse Paterno from any of this. But based off of the information he was given from a graduate assistant, I think he did the right thing, but not necessarily the smartest thing.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

More so than any cheating or booster scandal, Penn State deserves swift and immediate punishment. Given that fun Saturday football games are at the heart of why kids were systematically raped over the past 20 years, perhaps Penn State's privilege to perform in said games needs to be revoked. Now.

Nailed it. This is why you shut down the football program for a while.

I think Paterno did the right thing in passing the message up the ladder. I think given the circumstances and the nature of a top level program, passing it up the ladder was probably the right thing to do. I am trying to put myself in those JoPa's shoes. I didn't see anything, I was told by ONE person of something they thing they saw. Like I said, I think the smart thing to do was pass it up the ladder, however, I don't necessarily think he did the BEST thing in that situation.

Consider, though, that "passing it up the ladder" resulted in a game of telephone wherein "I saw Jerry Sandusky rape a boy in the shower" turned into "Jerry Sandusky and some kid were horsing around."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Sandusky worked out at a local gym this morning with his lovely wife.

Hopefully in a few months Sandusky's workout will be running away from 30-someodd guys with shanks and working up a sweat fending off convicted killers who are looking to add another dead pedophile to their resume.

Speaking of Mrs. Sandusky, her ass needs to be convicted too. She knew. She had to know.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived