Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

I question McQuery for not pushing the subject because I think his Career ambition of currently being a WR coach on the team clouded his judgement. However, he did do the right thing and report the manner to his superior just like JoePa did.

McQuery watched a kid get raped by an adult, and just walked away. He let the rape continue.

His superiors took no action, not even when the rapist brought more kids into the facilities. They let the rapes continue.

Nobody in this sad, sad story "did the right thing."

Which raises a whole lot of questions about how we as a society train people to handle things. You're pretty much taught from adolescence on to first look out for yourself, second CYA, and third do the bare legal minimum for everything. So when that happens, ummm why are we surprised and morally outraged at people who act this way.

There's a grander scale reason why this :censored: was allowed to continue as long as it did without anyone saying any thing and why so many other instances also go unreported-at least based on statistical studies.

*Note: Would not mind using this as a kickoff point for that particular national conversation. It's one that is certainly overdue for American society.*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*Note: Would not mind using this as a kickoff point for that particular national conversation. It's one that is certainly overdue for American society.*

Ah, we'll probably just blame it all on Glenn Beck again like we did with mental health/gun control.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Joe Paterno has always made me smile, I have long been a fan of his and he seemed to do everything right. This was just a huge lapse of judgement, but he was not alone rthe entire University is to blame. This is an obvious black mark on his career and will be the sad epithat to what was a great career. He does only have himself to blame, but the real :censored: is Sandusky and to put this all on Paterno for the cover up is wrong its the whole University's fault. Paterno should be allowed to finish the season which is almost over any way and Penn State should turn down any bowl invite, and than the school can begin the long hard clensing process. Like I said not just the Athletic Department should be turned upside down, but the whole university from the top down.

Does that include the B1G championship game? Come to think of it, if they're just going to decline their bowl game there's really no point in playing out the rest of the season at all. On Mad Dog Radio this afternoon they suggested PSU may let JoePa coach this last home game on Saturday and then s#!tcan him, along with McQueary too at least. They doubted PSU would call off the rest of the season altogether, but you never know. We really are in uncharted waters.

Interestingly, a couple of callers into the last segment echoed my earlier hypothesis that Sandusky had some dirt on JoePa and the program, and threatened to air it out à la Nevin Shapiro if he ever ratted Sandusky out or tried to cut ties with him. Between JoePa's concern over his legacy and all the years Sandusky spent in the program, that is a perfect recipe for blackmail.

CCSLC signature.png

We didn't say anything because our students are clearly out of his strike zone. <-----As good (or poor) a defense as any to the federales.
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Just to chime in on people harking for calm, I'll say this:

The PSU football team and athletes shouldn't be punished for this. Let them play, let the good coaches coach. However, any coaches, players, or personnel involved in the Sandusky/Second Mile rape ring need to be processed/go on trial/answer to authorities for their participation at any level in this thing. This is a criminal case, now a burgeoning federal criminal investigation - anything regarding football, rivalry biases, etc, out the door. Totally non-applicable here. What needs to happen, NEEDS TO HAPPEN is the culture of protection surrounding the Penn St football program needs to be dismantled, numerous officials in their infrastructure dismissed, and the old guard mentality destroyed.

They're going to suffer in numerous ways: lawsuits, loss of alumni donations, loss of season ticket holders, and the product on the field will suffer with how the rest of college football will use this as leverage in recruiting. That's before any sort of NCAA sanctions, which may or may not be imposed.

I honestly hope that Penn State recovers from this but they need to start the purging fire. Get this disgusting web of corrupt officials out, help yourselves by falling on the sword and absolving the school's identity of this. As it stands, however, they seem more content to sit on their hands and bury their heads in the sand.

This has got to be one of the worst-handled PR debacles in recent memory, if not ever.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I never though I would say this, but Penn State should no longer be allowed to participate in athletics. Permanently.

That's pretty dumb. Obviously, the athletic department needs to completely clean house, it will be a travesty if JoePa coaches another down this season, and PSU football should probably take a year off IMO, but shutting down the athletic department permanently is stupid. That would put people out of a job who had nothing to do with the scandal, and punish athletes in sports that weren't involved.

Never mind. Just read it. It'll change your mind about this (especially victim 2 and 1).

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I question McQuery for not pushing the subject because I think his Career ambition of currently being a WR coach on the team clouded his judgement. However, he did do the right thing and report the manner to his superior just like JoePa did.

McQuery watched a kid get raped by an adult, and just walked away. He let the rape continue.

His superiors took no action, not even when the rapist brought more kids into the facilities. They let the rapes continue.

Nobody in this sad, sad story "did the right thing."

Which raises a whole lot of questions about how we as a society train people to handle things. You're pretty much taught from adolescence on to first look out for yourself, second CYA, and third do the bare legal minimum for everything. So when that happens, ummm why are we surprised and morally outraged at people who act this way.

There's a grander scale reason why this :censored: was allowed to continue as long as it did without anyone saying any thing and why so many other instances also go unreported-at least based on statistical studies.

Indeed, how many times have we heard about people who get in legal trouble, or fired from their job, or are otherwise effectively punished for doing the right thing? That had to be weighing on McQueary's mind as much as anything.

CCSLC signature.png

I never though I would say this, but Penn State should no longer be allowed to participate in athletics. Permanently.

That's pretty dumb. Obviously, the athletic department needs to completely clean house, it will be a travesty if JoePa coaches another down this season, and PSU football should probably take a year off IMO, but shutting down the athletic department permanently is stupid. That would put people out of a job who had nothing to do with the scandal, and punish athletes in sports that weren't involved.

Never mind. Just read it. It'll change your mind about this (especially victim 2 and 1).

I read it and I don't agree that Penn State needs to shut down its athletic department permanently. The report was certainly very disturbing, and don't get me wrong - Sandusky and the staff that allowed this to continue need to and will get punished. But shutting down athletics for good is not fair to the athletes who had absolutely nothing to do with this scandal. Clean house, start anew. That report obviously stirred up the emotions of many, but try to continue to think of this rationally.

Additionally, a personality on sports talk radio (*ducks*) mentioned the B1G Championship trophy that is named after Joe Paterno. What are the chances that his name is removed from that? I would say that it is a pretty B1G possibility.

Oooh, leather-bound! Just the way he likes 'em.

I didn't think it was possible, but that comment makes DexterMorgan's comment earlier is this thread seem tame.

Just to chime in on people harking for calm, I'll say this:

The PSU football team and athletes shouldn't be punished for this. Let them play, let the good coaches coach. However, any coaches, players, or personnel involved in the Sandusky/Second Mile rape ring need to be processed/go on trial/answer to authorities for their participation at any level in this thing. This is a criminal case, now a burgeoning federal criminal investigation - anything regarding football, rivalry biases, etc, out the door. Totally non-applicable here. What needs to happen, NEEDS TO HAPPEN is the culture of protection surrounding the Penn St football program needs to be dismantled, numerous officials in their infrastructure dismissed, and the old guard mentality destroyed.

They're going to suffer in numerous ways: lawsuits, loss of alumni donations, loss of season ticket holders, and the product on the field will suffer with how the rest of college football will use this as leverage in recruiting. That's before any sort of NCAA sanctions, which may or may not be imposed.

I honestly hope that Penn State recovers from this but they need to start the purging fire. Get this disgusting web of corrupt officials out, help yourselves by falling on the sword and absolving the school's identity of this. As it stands, however, they seem more content to sit on their hands and bury their heads in the sand.

This has got to be one of the worst-handled PR debacles in recent memory, if not ever.

You also forgot one other important side of higher education: Applications for admission.

How much more difficult will it be next year after parents know that there was a child predator to remain on campus?

Additionally, a personality on sports talk radio (*ducks*) mentioned the B1G Championship trophy that is named after Joe Paterno. What are the chances that his name is removed from that? I would say that it is a pretty B1G possibility.

It's actually called the Stagg-Paterno Trophy, and the descendants of its other co-namesake, Amos Alonzo Stagg, have already weighed in on this very matter.

CCSLC signature.png

People had to have known stuff for years now. State College is a tiny little town in the mountains. There's nothing around it. I checked! How does word not get around? How does it not become an open secret kept within the meritocracy of the football fiefdom? People had to have been like "well, he has his appetites, but hey, Linebacker U!"

They've definitely known something for at least six months.

Sandusky is a "state secret."

BB52Big.jpg

Presser in 10 minutes. The prez goes bye-bye. Interested to see if they utter a single word about Paterno.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Reports all over Twitter say Joe Paterno is GONE.

(If true,) About :censored:ing time!

Twitter always seems to know what's up right before it is officially announced. I should check it out sometime.

I don't mind when JoePa is axed, as long as it is before Saturday's game. The quicker they get rid of those involved, the quicker Penn State can move on. Remember, they are leading their division and still have a chance to win the B1G Championship. Having JoePa stick around is only serving as a distraction.

It's about time that Paterno and Spanier were dismissed. This took a few days too long in my opinion, but it's happened. Kudos to the people at PSU who took initiative and got these people out.

edit: live stream of the press conference

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/livenow?id=8425797

edit 2: it appears that link is just sportscenter...the hell? ah the conference is being streamed via phone.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

But what was Penn State even thinking trying to keep JoePa on as head coach thru the end of the year? They knew he had to go, and go NOW. :censored:ing morons.

Joe Paterno may be out the door, but Penn State still sucks! From the Board of Trustees to the student body, the most uneducated school in the Big Ten.

6uXNWAo.png

But what was Penn State even thinking trying to keep JoePa on as head coach thru the end of the year? They knew he had to go, and go NOW. :censored:ing morons.

Joe Paterno may be out the door, but Penn State still sucks! From the Board of Trustees to the student body, the most uneducated school in the Big Ten.

We know. Because you've posted the exact same post about once a page. We get it.

in my opinion, penn state just degraded the reputation of the big ten. i'm glad the idiots are out there, if reports are true. the students, for trying to shout down that guy who raised valid points, are douchecanoes of the highest order, and an embarrassment to penn state. the cover up on this was so big, and reached so far, that in my opinion, any diploma from there isnt worth the paper it's printed on

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

Archived