Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

http://deadspin.com/5858146/

Watching this press conference again from last night.

These reporters all need to be jobless asap. The press conference was basically dominated by homers and Paterno protectors who clearly didn't read the grand jury report (or if they did found it to be false because it wasn't written by Joe Paterno).

Who ARE these people? It's sickening that they are so drunk on the Nittany Lion kool-aid and refuse to look at the bigger issues.

Somebody on the radio this morning said it best, this place is Jonestown, PA.

unledqbs.png

Find these homer sycophants and fire them.

I heard rumors that the some of the more vocal people you heard at the press conference were students that somehow got in.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If these allegations brought up by Madden are true - and at this point, they are uncorroborated allegations, and a long leap from the grand jury report, so I feel "if" is a crucial word here - then just burn the whole thing down. Salt the earth. The allegation here is that a man used his success in and access to a college football program - along with the insular, fawning, protective atmosphere such a program in an isolated college town provides - to create a child prostitution ring under the guise of charity.

Christ.

Not just that, but if the allegations are true, the ring wasn't run for himself, it was for the football program! He could have been trading boys for donations! I don't even believe that could be true. I no wanna. That's beyond the pale, even for college football, which has a very very far pale.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

http://deadspin.com/5858146/

Watching this press conference again from last night.

These reporters all need to be jobless asap. The press conference was basically dominated by homers and Paterno protectors who clearly didn't read the grand jury report (or if they did found it to be false because it wasn't written by Joe Paterno).

Who ARE these people? It's sickening that they are so drunk on the Nittany Lion kool-aid and refuse to look at the bigger issues.

Somebody on the radio this morning said it best, this place is Jonestown, PA.

unledqbs.png

Find these homer sycophants and fire them.

I heard rumors that the some of the more vocal people you heard at the press conference were students that somehow got in.

Yeah somebody on 93-7 the fan in pittsburgh who was at the conference attested there were a lot of cronies in there from the student body, most of them were in tow of the student newspaper.

They're currently interviewing interim coach Bradley now, and I mean...they need to just shut it all down for the year. There's no place for football right now. Bradley's coming off as a total pile of :censored:.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Bradley played for Paterno in the '70s, and joined his staff in '79, taking over for Sandusky in '99. I dunno, maybe he's spent all 33 seasons in the clearly-delineated "no knowledge of child rape" section of the coaching staff. Had to go to road games on two separate planes just to make sure McQueary didn't let one slip after a couple of G-and-T's.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Bradley played for Paterno in the '70s, and joined his staff in '79, taking over for Sandusky in '99. I dunno, maybe he's spent all 33 seasons in the clearly-delineated "no knowledge of child rape" section of the coaching staff. Had to go to road games on two separate planes just to make sure McQueary didn't let one slip after a couple of G-and-T's.

Perhaps. He's being excessively dismissive of anything related to the scandal. I don't think he had anything to do with it, but the undestated bitterness towards the press asking the questions (which are far more civil and objective than last night's troop of howler monkeys) is kind of disappointing.

That being said, he claims that he had no bearing on whether McQueary was allowed to coach this Saturday.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Nebraska fans travel notoriously well, mainly because you'd use any excuse you had to get out of Nebraska, too. Oh, for a sea of red in Happy Valley this Saturday.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Nebraska fans travel notoriously well, mainly because you'd use any excuse you had to get out of Nebraska, too. Oh, for a sea of red in Happy Valley this Saturday.

This game on Saturday is going to be weird to watch.

There's speculation (unfounded, but speculation noless) that there's a lot of anxiety that now that Paterno is no longer affiliated with PSU that he's a "loose cannon," and say/do/go wherever he wants. He could be at the game...

twitter

If these allegations brought up by Madden are true - and at this point, they are uncorroborated allegations, and a long leap from the grand jury report, so I feel "if" is a crucial word here - then just burn the whole thing down. Salt the earth. The allegation here is that a man used his success in and access to a college football program - along with the insular, fawning, protective atmosphere such a program in an isolated college town provides - to create a child prostitution ring under the guise of charity.

Christ.

Not just that, but if the allegations are true, the ring wasn't run for himself, it was for the football program! He could have been trading boys for donations! I don't even believe that could be true. I no wanna. That's beyond the pale, even for college football, which has a very very far pale.

Is the rumor about Second Mile donors or PSU donors getting access to kids?

They are traveling particularly well this year; to four new conference rival towns.

This game is going to be a circus.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

You know, I had a conversation with my dad after the tOSU scandal. The question was bought up, "What could be worse than this?". I said, "Well, I guess giving players free coke would be bad." Then Miami happened. I was discussing this with my friends, and the same question was brought up. This time, in almost a joking manner, one of my friends said, "A pedo scandal or something." We actually laughed at that because of how ridiculous it sounded. Now this happens. The same thing happened, this time with my dad again, and I said "The only thing I can think of is if a school sponsored terrorism." I'm really hoping I'm wrong this time.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Christ.

Is the rumor about Second Mile donors or PSU donors getting access to kids?

(h/t HuffPo)

"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden said on the radio. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."

Context seems to indicate it's Second Mile donors, but don't be surprised if it surfaces that PSU donors were also involved.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Is this Madden a legitimate journalist? Why would a legit journalist discuss "rumors"?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Is this Madden a legitimate journalist? Why would a legit journalist discuss "rumors"?

Sports radio host and newspaper columnist for the Beaver County Times. His original expose on this whole thing is here. (Note the publication date.)

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Madden's a talking head of some renown in Pittsburgh, and has been controversial for being outspoken. That said, he toes a pretty firm line between his opinion and reporting, and he's extremely well-connected in Western PA. He's got particularly strong ties to the Beaver County Times sports staff, and I'd wager those are the reporters to which he's referring.

Is he a real journalist though, or just a personality with connections? I thought that real journalists had a certain code of ethics or something that they followed where they can only report confirmed facts and not spread rumors (even if rumors eventually are proven to be facts.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You know, I had a conversation with my dad after the tOSU scandal. The question was bought up, "What could be worse than this?". I said, "Well, I guess giving players free coke would be bad." Then Miami happened. I was discussing this with my friends, and the same question was brought up. This time, in almost a joking manner, one of my friends said, "A pedo scandal or something." We actually laughed at that because of how ridiculous it sounded. Now this happens. The same thing happened, this time with my dad again, and I said "The only thing I can think of is if a school sponsored terrorism." I'm really hoping I'm wrong this time.

This is not to rank/measure crimes or sins; just so you know:

Oklahoma (1989): Gang rape(s); players shooting each other in the athletic dorm; starting QB arrested for selling cocaine to the FBI; grand theft

Baylor (2003): Player murders teammate; head coach hatches coverup with assistant agreeing to it; head coach pays tuition for two players; failed drug tests;

Archived