Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

I'd tend to agree.

"You can have a football team when you've shown you can handle the responsibility. Say, when you've had a century without a child-rape coverup."

The people who are going to be left when all is said and done can, so the death penalty is kind of pointless. Give Penn State's current coaching staff and athletic department administration a lifetime show cause penalty and call it good.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd tend to agree.

"You can have a football team when you've shown you can handle the responsibility. Say, when you've had a century without a child-rape coverup."

The people who are going to be left when all is said and done can, so the death penalty is kind of pointless. Give Penn State's current coaching staff and athletic department administration a lifetime show cause penalty and call it good.

I would not punish the Penn State if I was the NCAA. I shut down the program for a year, but I think of that more as a necessity then a punishment. They need to take a step back for a minute and basically start over from scratch, and its going to take more then one offseason to do it. You also need to send a message that this isn't something isn't that is just be forgotten about tomorrow. This maybe the most serious wrongdoing a college football team has ever done. The fallout from this is far from being over as well. This will still be a news story this time next year. I would not want to have to put up with those kinds of questions every day for an entire season, nor do I see how you could. If nothing else its not fair to the seniors on the team that have to go through that and can't transfer, which is why I think any player that wants to transfer out of Penn State should be allowed to without the penalty of sitting out for a season irregardless if they play next year or not.

Also anyone who had anything to do with this is going to be long gone, so the only people that will effecting by any loss of scholarships or TV time are people that had nothing to do with this. And I wouldn't treat Penn State any differental once they came back for the 2013 season from a rules perspective. They should be allowed to be ranked, go to bowl games, and recuit as many people as anyone else.

Why does Penn State need to 'take a step back'. Is there any indication that anyone on the staff was involved? If so purge them. Other than that get on with it. It's a goddam football program. Make sure anyone involved is long gone, perhaps get the Athletic Department to monitor closely who is on Campus and why, and let the innocent play.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Why does Penn State need to 'take a step back'. Is there any indication that anyone on the staff was involved? If so purge them. Other than that get on with it. It's a goddam football program. Make sure anyone involved is long gone, perhaps get the Athletic Department to monitor closely who is on Campus and why, and let the innocent play.

The thing is there may still be people involved in this that we don't know about yet. This is still an unfolding story. I don't think you can accurately say at this time where the line should be drawn with who should stay and who needs to go.

You also can't say we're just looking forward to next year. That's not good enough. The program has to accept a large amount of responsibility for this and needs to do something to show they are very serious about makign sure there is not chance of this ever happening again. More oversight is something that's just a given. Its not enough for this. That's something you do when you have a recruiting violation. You can't just do that with this and say weve done enough here.

As for letting the innocent play, I agree which is why I feel every player on the Penn State roster should have the right to transfer without having to sit out for a year, regardless of whether or not Penn State plays a 2012 season. The NCAA and the Penn State program I feel owes the players who've had to deal with this at least that much. Any incoming recruit still has the right to recind their commitment without fear of penalty, the players on the current roster should be afforded the same right.

Personally I think there is a lot less conspiratorial surrounding this than some. Some people seem to be acting as if the whole of the University was in on a conspiracy. My guess, a relatively small number of high up people kept things to themselves. That's how these things usually happen.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Personally I think there is a lot less conspiratorial surrounding this than some. Some people seem to be acting as if the whole of the University was in on a conspiracy. My guess, a relatively small number of high up people kept things to themselves. That's how these things usually happen.

It probably was the case, but those people were the face of the University. It would be alot easier if it was just one guy that was involved, but we're finding out that simply wasn't the case. It was a conspiracy to keep this under wraps out of fear for what is happening right now.

My guess is that most people put in the same situation would have done nothing as well, so I'm not as condemning as some people have been. That still doesen't make it right or remove accountability, but if taking action in a case like this means that you can potentially lose your job, receive hate mail, have your family harassed and forever have to answer questions of when did you first know about this and why you didn't act sooner. Nobody speaking up about this was going to be praised as a hero. So I could understand why someone would want to stay on the sidelines and just hope the problem would moreorless go away.

There is alot of outrage with this. Some of it I think is a bit over the top, but its certainly understandable, and alot of levels completely justified.

The biggest knock with this is that Penn State kept this under wraps because they thought winning football games was more important then the safety of these kids. Right or wrong that's going to be how this is viewed, and what Penn State needs to do is counter that. By all means play the season out, but after the season is done, the main focus of Penn State football cannot be winning football games if this program ever hopes to regain any of the prestige it just lost. They need to develop and implement a plan that has to be several years long in order to get this program back to where it was before this. Step one needs to be outreaching to the community and the country to make amends for this, because the program as an entity is just as accountable as anyone else was in this.

The biggest knock with this is that Penn State kept this under wraps because they thought winning football games was more important then the safety of these kids.

Thats the best argument I have heard for a serious, long standing punishment against Penn State now. And a lot of the problems with college football seem to spring from a general opinion that winning is everything, that providing a winning system is the thing that matters. I think the lesson that needs to be learnt pretty quickly at some point quite soon is that the NCAA is fundamentally a development league, and that developing players, giving them a supportive and productive atmosphere in which to develop is the key, rather than a bowl appearance. (In fact if you achieve the first, the second may well follow). Thats why any remaining Penn State officials who took part in a cover up of Sandusky's activities should be canned, and then the program given the opportunity to move forward with new coaches and officials.

Yes you could allow the players to move on, but is that the best thing for their development? Having to go and compete in a new system and a new location?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Yes you could allow the players to move on, but is that the best thing for their development? Having to go and compete in a new system and a new location?

If staying means having to deal with all of this for a year or more, it might be yes in alot cases. I certainly wouldn't fault any player for wanting to leave Happy Valley after all of this.

Students could also, of course, stay right where they are and focus on getting that Magnificent Big Ten College Education that all student-athletes are entitl--hahahahahah

hahahaha

ha

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

One of the rare times we agree with on any topic.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Students could also, of course, stay right where they are and focus on getting that Magnificent Big Ten College Education that all student-athletes are entitl--hahahahahah

hahahaha

ha

My fave admiral post...ever?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Guess they shouldn't have imposed any punishment on USC then, huh? Those players were long gone, as was the coach. But the school still lost scholarships, and still has a bowl ban.

Look, when Enron went down, it took a lot of "innocents" with it. Was it fair that they lost their jobs because other people broke the rules?

Besides, part of the reason for punishing a program is about creating a disincentive for other programs to exhibit the same behavior. An example must be set that terrible actions will be met with terrible consequences.

If Penn State gets anything less than a five-year ban I'll think it far too lenient. Personally, I'd impose the death penalty; a decade-long coverup of child rape on campus certainly merits it.

Consider, though, that with the exponential escalation in college sports dollars, a one-year ban in 2012 would wreak even more destruction than SMU's two-year ban did.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I always though the so-called death penalty was the "repeat violator" rule. Can the NCAA bar a program from competing without repeated violations? Is there precedent for doing such a thing?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I always though the so-called death penalty was the "repeat violator" rule. Can the NCAA bar a program from competing without repeated violations? Is there precedent for doing such a thing?

There's also no precedent for somthing like this either, so no matter what they do its setting a standard.

Guess they shouldn't have imposed any punishment on USC then, huh? Those players were long gone, as was the coach. But the school still lost scholarships, and still has a bowl ban.

Look, when Enron went down, it took a lot of "innocents" with it. Was it fair that they lost their jobs because other people broke the rules?

Besides, part of the reason for punishing a program is about creating a disincentive for other programs to exhibit the same behavior. An example must be set that terrible actions will be met with terrible consequences.

If Penn State gets anything less than a five-year ban I'll think it far too lenient. Personally, I'd impose the death penalty; a decade-long coverup of child rape on campus certainly merits it.

And it's pretty unfair that Matt Barkley and the rest of the Trojans won't get a chance to potentially play in the BCS this year because Reggie Bush got a bunch of free stuff. But there's not really any good way to punish teams. You don't have any jurisdiction over past players/coaches that are gone and what's left at the school didn't have ivolvement in the violations.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

And it's pretty unfair that Matt Barkley and the rest of the Trojans won't get a chance to potentially play in the BCS this year because Reggie Bush got a bunch of free stuff. But there's not really any good way to punish teams. You don't have any jurisdiction over past players/coaches that are gone and what's left at the school didn't have ivolvement in the violations.

Especially with coaches that's a huge criticism of mine with the NCAA. Memphis goes on probation while John Calipari just walks on to Kentucky.

The NCAA has no issue going after programs, but when it comes to holding individual people accountable suddenly there's issues, and I'm not the only one who has called for coaches to be held more accountable for their programs. Someone like Pete Carroll should not be allowed to just walk back into a college head coaching job. Him saying he doesen't know means one of two things. He's lying or he's an idiot for not knowing. Take your pick. Either way he wasn't doing his job.

After two weeks of this story breaking, I have come to one conclusion:

The "sports-specific" (ESPN, Vs., CBSSports) media outlets do not want to fully cover this, even though they have reporters with the ability to do investigative reporting. Most every outlet has been on the University Park campus to not give very hard stories, but leave the breaking news to two sources. The Harrisburg Patriot-News and the New York Times. They want to leave it to aforementioned or their News division/network (ABC, CBS and NBC).

ESPN has people who can deliver and investigate, but here they have failed to for whatever reason. They hired Mark Fainaru-Wada who wrote "Game of Shadows", but he isn't in State College. When CNN kicks your a$$ on the night Paterno gets fired, you made sure that you don't want to be out front on this.

SI's CFB writers have written good commentaries, but there also is a lack of personnel on site to dig deeper. Again, there is a reliance on other sources.

Yahoo! Sports, who has done the best investigative job in recent years has not done that much here.

CBSSports.com has done the least while airing essentially six hours of a CFB focused show on air Monday-Friday with Tim Brando. Bruce Feldman has not done much, but did talk about the lightness of reporting on his podcast this week.

Especially with coaches that's a huge criticism of mine with the NCAA. Memphis goes on probation while John Calipari just walks on to Kentucky.

The NCAA has no issue going after programs, but when it comes to holding individual people accountable suddenly there's issues, and I'm not the only one who has called for coaches to be held more accountable for their programs. Someone like Pete Carroll should not be allowed to just walk back into a college head coaching job. Him saying he doesen't know means one of two things. He's lying or he's an idiot for not knowing. Take your pick. Either way he wasn't doing his job.

Personally I'd like to see the NCAA go down the route of more personal punishments for all kinds of violations. I understand that's tricky once guys have graduated, but maybe come to some kind of agreement with the NFL then over imposing sanctions. (The NFL did that this year with Tressell and Pryor right?) I think setting up death penalties and the like is bad practice.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived