Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

I'll say it again...There's something completely :censored:-ed up about football. Hopefully I'm wrong about this, but I have a feeling that Penn State is not the only college or high school school with a "Jerry Sandusky."

I don't think it's a football thing. It's a "we as a society place way to much emphasis on collegiate athletics" thing. As soon as people who could have done something about it became aware the cops should have been called and Sandusky should have been arrested. Instead they covered it all up because SPORTS.

We're grown so enamoured by athletic competition that people with real power in a university athletic department chose to cover up and enable child rape because they feared having the pedophile arrested would have hurt the department's "image." That we've gotten to the point where that looks like the legitimate course of action to some people, much less people in positions of authority, is sickening.

Maybe not, but the "attitude" (for lack of a better term) is more prevalent in football than it is any other sport. Keep in mind that part of Sandusky's defense was coaches taking the stand and telling the jury that grown men showering with young boys wasn't at all unusual. The worst part? In football it probably isn't all that unusual. It may not be completely :censored:-ed up, but there's still something :censored:-ed up about football. The degree to which it's :censored:-ed up is open to debate I guess. B)

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll say it again...There's something completely :censored:-ed up about football. Hopefully I'm wrong about this, but I have a feeling that Penn State is not the only college or high school school with a "Jerry Sandusky."

I don't think it's a football thing. It's a "we as a society place way to much emphasis on collegiate athletics" thing. As soon as people who could have done something about it became aware the cops should have been called and Sandusky should have been arrested. Instead they covered it all up because SPORTS.

We're grown so enamoured by athletic competition that people with real power in a university athletic department chose to cover up and enable child rape because they feared having the pedophile arrested would have hurt the department's "image." That we've gotten to the point where that looks like the legitimate course of action to some people, much less people in positions of authority, is sickening.

Maybe not, but the "attitude" (for lack of a better term) is more prevalent in football than it is any other sport. Keep in mind that part of Sandusky's defense was coaches taking the stand and telling the jury that grown men showering with young boys wasn't at all unusual. The worst part? In football it probably isn't all that unusual. It may not be completely :censored:-ed up, but there's still something :censored:-ed up about football. The degree to which it's :censored:-ed up is open to debate I guess. B)

No It's not normal at all. In my 8 years of football there was never a coach close to our showers. Youth through college.

It is not just a football story, as in 2010 USA Swimming had numerous allegations of sexual abuse, even recording the abuse. Overall, 59 coaches once certified by USA Swimming were banned; 36 of them all since 2000.. Most were later charged and were convicted.

I meant football specifically, not sports in general, but thanks for that. That said, your propensity to pull up articles, stats, and links on...well...most everything, always leaves me both impressed and a little freaked out.

That's fine. I remember watching the original 20/20 story in 2010 since I was on a swim team in Tampa from age 9-11. However, here on this board in terms of history:

1- Posters have very little reference for history of the items which are not given to them by ESPN/ESPN.com. Plus, that newsppapers are not read anymore and if it not on the frontpage, people rarely care about it. That is even with yahoo! as the #1 sports site in the USA.

2- Posters here start threads which could easily be answered by a simple internet search. Wikipedia is a crutch.

3- You can remain to be freaked out on either my recollection of previous threads or other sports history, meanwhile, I will be freaked out on how something like getting dimes back in stead of quarters is something which may "Grind Someones Gears" enough to post here numerous times a day or week.

Wasn't SMU's death penalty enacted because it directly affected the student-athletes on the team? As horrible and disgusting as everything that went down at Penn State, this had nothing to do with the players on the team, just the coaching staff.

I'd like to see Penn State be punished for its ineptitude and ignorance as much as anyone else, and it's hard to compare anything to innocent children suffering at the expense of a monster, but if you shut down the team, aren't more innocent student-athletes getting punished as well?

I think there should be a way to punish the athletic department and all culpable members of the coaching staff without further punishing other student athletes. Bringing in a brand new football coach and staff should be a head start.

Agree 100%. There is no reason to wipe out the entire football program. I'll agree that every person involved in the Sandusky nightmare should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. (If I had my way, they'd all be hung by their balls from one of the goalposts.) Where I have to get off the bus is when we start punishing the third string linebacker for something he had absolutely nothing to do with. We all want to see justice served as swiftly and severely as possible, but I'm pretty sure that taking out the entire football program isn't part of that process.

It does suck for the third string linebacker, and I don't mean that flippantly. But this wouldn't be the first time in history that someone has been out of work because the big guys at the top were organized criminals. I'm sure they would be taken care of one way or the other in terms of free transfers, free tuition, or whatever.

Part of this has to do with precedent. The NCAA has painted itself into a nasty corner by meting out draconian punishments for things that, in the grand scheme of things, seem quite silly. It's a Serious Problem if a coach gives a kid a buck to buy a coke from a vending machine. You can have a championship season invalidated because someone had another person take his test. Ohio State got smacked down hard because some idiots got free tattoos. You can't drop the hammer on schools for the obligatory malfeasance without which one could not get a bunch of stupid people with unscrupulous handlers through school, and then do anything less than drop a thousand bags of hammers for the most beyond-the-pale institutional crime we've ever seen. And the worst part of all this is that if you go to SECjawedyokel.ezboard.com or bigtencirclejerk.com or any den of subhumanity that is a dedicated college sports message board, you get these goobers all gleefully documenting potential Lacks Of Institutional Control at schools they don't like, making gifs about it or whatever, but when you get people from outside their little college football hidey-hole saying "hey, the NCAA should kill the hell out of Penn State for this whole child-rape-facilitation thing," they all circle up wagons and say "WHOA THAT'S NOT THEIR JOB." And isn't it silly if it isn't?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No It's not normal at all. In my 8 years of football there was never a coach close to our showers. Youth through college.

Fair enough but, you are one of how many people involved in organized football?

Case in point: From 2001 thru 2003 I did highlight videos for our local high school basketball team. Long story short, the one time I was in their locker room, I was there to interview the head coach in his office (at his request.) During the interview one of his assistant coaches strolled past the office door buck naked and went straight into the showers with some of the players. Apparently, that particular team didn't see it as abnormal at all. At least the coaching staff didn't anyway. The kids were so afraid to question anything that coaching staff said or did that, if it did make them uncomfortable, I'd doubt they would have said a word about it.

My point being that, if I had to put money on it, I'd bet that adults showering with kids isn't anywhere near as rare we'd like it to be.

BB52Big.jpg

Here's a portion of the e-mail exchange as reported by CNN.

Here's what I find to be the most interesting part: It's laid out that, initally, Curley and Schultz wanted to go to Second Mile and to child welfare. But then, Tim Curley apparently had a talk with Joe Paterno, and suddenly it turned into whoa whoa whoa, let's pump the brakes on reporting the pedophile here:

After giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe yesterday, I am uncomfortable with what we agreed were the next steps.

That tells me that Joe Paterno was still the string-puller and taskmaster when it came to this situation. He didn't suddenly become a doddering old codger who never heard about anything between a man and a boy. He knew what was happening, and he wanted the university to stay the hell away from his program and his guy, and obviously, university officials were eager to comply. Joe Paterno was as complicit in Jerry Sandusky's continued rape of children as much as anyone.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Wasn't SMU's death penalty enacted because it directly affected the student-athletes on the team? As horrible and disgusting as everything that went down at Penn State, this had nothing to do with the players on the team, just the coaching staff.

I'd like to see Penn State be punished for its ineptitude and ignorance as much as anyone else, and it's hard to compare anything to innocent children suffering at the expense of a monster, but if you shut down the team, aren't more innocent student-athletes getting punished as well?

I think there should be a way to punish the athletic department and all culpable members of the coaching staff without further punishing other student athletes. Bringing in a brand new football coach and staff should be a head start.

Agree 100%. There is no reason to wipe out the entire football program. I'll agree that every person involved in the Sandusky nightmare should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. (If I had my way, they'd all be hung by their balls from one of the goalposts.) Where I have to get off the bus is when we start punishing the third string linebacker for something he had absolutely nothing to do with. We all want to see justice served as swiftly and severely as possible, but I'm pretty sure that taking out the entire football program isn't part of that process.

It does suck for the third string linebacker, and I don't mean that flippantly. But this wouldn't be the first time in history that someone has been out of work because the big guys at the top were organized criminals. I'm sure they would be taken care of one way or the other in terms of free transfers, free tuition, or whatever.

Part of this has to do with precedent. The NCAA has painted itself into a nasty corner by meting out draconian punishments for things that, in the grand scheme of things, seem quite silly. It's a Serious Problem if a coach gives a kid a buck to buy a coke from a vending machine. You can have a championship season invalidated because someone had another person take his test. Ohio State got smacked down hard because some idiots got free tattoos. You can't drop the hammer on schools for the obligatory malfeasance without which one could not get a bunch of stupid people with unscrupulous handlers through school, and then do anything less than drop a thousand bags of hammers for the most beyond-the-pale institutional crime we've ever seen. And the worst part of all this is that if you go to SECjawedyokel.ezboard.com or bigtencirclejerk.com or any den of subhumanity that is a dedicated college sports message board, you get these goobers all gleefully documenting potential Lacks Of Institutional Control at schools they don't like, making gifs about it or whatever, but when you get people from outside their little college football hidey-hole saying "hey, the NCAA should kill the hell out of Penn State for this whole child-rape-facilitation thing," they all circle up wagons and say "WHOA THAT'S NOT THEIR JOB." And isn't it silly if it isn't?

Well done Lt. Colonel. I just may have changed my opinion on the matter. Seriously. Your reply actually persuaded me rethink my position on this.

BB52Big.jpg

It is not just a football story, as in 2010 USA Swimming had numerous allegations of sexual abuse, even recording the abuse. Overall, 59 coaches once certified by USA Swimming were banned; 36 of them all since 2000.. Most were later charged and were convicted.

I meant football specifically, not sports in general, but thanks for that. That said, your propensity to pull up articles, stats, and links on...well...most everything, always leaves me both impressed and a little freaked out.

That's fine. I remember watching the original 20/20 story in 2010 since I was on a swim team in Tampa from age 9-11. However, here on this board in terms of history:

1- Posters have very little reference for history of the items which are not given to them by ESPN/ESPN.com. Plus, that newsppapers are not read anymore and if it not on the frontpage, people rarely care about it. That is even with yahoo! as the #1 sports site in the USA.

2- Posters here start threads which could easily be answered by a simple internet search. Wikipedia is a crutch.

3- You can remain to be freaked out on either my recollection of previous threads or other sports history, meanwhile, I will be freaked out on how something like getting dimes back in stead of quarters is something which may "Grind Someones Gears" enough to post here numerous times a day or week.

This place ain't exactly the Harvard debate club dude. We talk about uniforms and socks around here. It's entirely possible that your bar is set a bit too high. Or maybe you're just too high. Anyway, keep up...well...whatever it is you're trying to do.

BB52Big.jpg

And you'll note the NCAA hasn't hammered most of these schools. USC got the worst and nobody's come close to that in recent memory. Typically the NCAA of late just mashes the retcon button, docks you 3 schollys a year for a couple of years, and maybe says you don't get your swag vacay in the ESPN Loves Money Bowl in Lower Goddamnitstan, America next year. OSU got a slap on the wrist for the tattoos, and well UNC got off lightly as well all told.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

TIM BRANDO: ...today on ESPN we see the Nittany Lions face off against Ohio State here in Happy Valley. With a win here today, Penn State will nullify their former assistant coach's child rapes, as well as restore the prestige of their deceiving, enabling, profit-driven :censored: -heel of a head coach Joe Paterno.

LEE CORSO: That's right, Tim! McGloin's going to be shouldering the pressure of not only winning a conference game at home, but also eradicating the public's memory of ruined lives vicariously through an empty football game victory.

BEANO COOK: The pre-game moment of silence featuring a solemn head bow from Will Ferrell has gotten the ball rolling, fellas - I can already feel my sponge-like brain gently casting aside the horrifying travesties this university perpetuated, replaced instead by amused simplistic desire to see these athletes crush each other's skulls on the field while the college and our network shamelessly profit off of their abilities, secure in the knowledge very few of them will be professionals.

LEE: Hey guys, look - I'm wearing a Brutus the Buckeye mascot head, and all the drunk college frat jackasses are booing me!

TIM: Haha, oh Lee.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

And you'll note the NCAA hasn't hammered most of these schools. USC got the worst and nobody's come close to that in recent memory. Typically the NCAA of late just mashes the retcon button, docks you 3 schollys a year for a couple of years, and maybe says you don't get your swag vacay in the ESPN Loves Money Bowl in Lower Goddamnitstan, America next year. OSU got a slap on the wrist for the tattoos, and well UNC got off lightly as well all told.

When UNC gets away with 18 players in a 19 student roster what was essentially a "summer class which did not exist" (aka independent study)

, it proves that the system is more disrepair than the lack of a football playoff.

However, outside of USC's two year bowl ban, we don't really know how the sanctions will impact them long term. Short term, they took the bowl ban and still look to be a top five to top ten team. The loss of 30 scholarships (10/year for three years) did not take effect until this signing season meanwhile, they stocked up big time under Kiffin's first two years. This incoming class just had 15 signees, but apparently they were "quality".

TIM BRANDO: ...today on ESPN we see the Nittany Lions face off against Ohio State here in Happy Valley. With a win here today, Penn State will nullify their former assistant coach's child rapes, as well as restore the prestige of their deceiving, enabling, profit-driven :censored: -heel of a head coach Joe Paterno.

LEE CORSO: That's right, Tim! McGloin's going to be shouldering the pressure of not only winning a conference game at home, but also eradicating the public's memory of ruined lives vicariously through an empty football game victory.

BEANO COOK: The pre-game moment of silence featuring a solemn head bow from Will Ferrell has gotten the ball rolling, fellas - I can already feel my sponge-like brain gently casting aside the horrifying travesties this university perpetuated, replaced instead by amused simplistic desire to see these athletes crush each other's skulls on the field while the college and our network shamelessly profit off of their abilities, secure in the knowledge very few of them will be professionals.

LEE: Hey guys, look - I'm wearing a Brutus the Buckeye mascot head, and all the drunk college frat jackasses are booing me!

*holds up giant Sandusky head and TIME TO HIT THE SHOWERS sign in background*

1zgyd8w.jpg

:lol:

upotd.png

6uXNWAo.png

upotd.png

Hell, I'll nominate it for the real thing. Well done CS :D

upotd.png

Hell, I'll nominate it for the real thing. Well done CS :D

Second. That makes it official.

BB52Big.jpg

potd.png

BB52Big.jpg

NCAA needs give Penn St. the death penalty.

As I already explained, the death penalty can't come into play here. From the NCAA's website:

The repeat-violator legislation (?death penalty?) is applicable to an institution if, within a five-year period, the following conditions exist:

Following the announcement of a major case, a major violation occurs and

The second violation occurred within five years of the starting date of the penalty assessed in the first case. The second major case does not have to be in the same sport as the previous case to affect the second sport.

Penalties for repeat violators of legislation, subject to exemptions authorized by the committee on the basis of specifically stated reasons, may include any of the following:

The prohibition of some or all outside competition in the sport involved in the latest major violation for one or two sport seasons and the prohibition of all coaching staff members in that sport from involvement (directly or indirectly) in any coaching activities at the institution during that period

The elimination of all initial grants-in-aid and recruiting activities in the sport involved in the latest major violation in question for a two-year period.

The requirement that all institutional staff member serving on the NCAA Board of Directors; Leadership, Legislative, Presidents or Management Councils; Executive Committee or other Association governance bodies resign their positions. All institutional representatives shall be ineligible to serve on any NCAA committee for a period of four years and

The requirement that the institution relinquish its Association voting privileges for a four-year period.

Penn State was not a repeat violator. Therefore, the NCAA cannot and will not apply the death penalty.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Has Congress said anything? They were pretty excited about a BCS playoff a while back. Who has more authority than the NCAA to force someone's hand on punishment for Penn State?

I feel like we're going to end up in the "bygones" position, but it'd be nice to see a punishment that meets the pretty heinous crime.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Has Congress said anything? They were pretty excited about a BCS playoff a while back. Who has more authority than the NCAA to force someone's hand on punishment for Penn State?

I feel like we're going to end up in the "bygones" position, but it'd be nice to see a punishment that meets the pretty heinous crime.

You may see that happen sometime down the road.

Think alot of politicians and people in education are pretty fed up with how much power these programs have accumulated and feel like they need to be checked.

The Jerry Sandusky scandal may be the best example of that. An assistant coach who was allowed to get away with child rape for decades because it would have made the football program look bad if it came out. That's not something people are just going to forget about. For now it can be written off as one bad apple, but god forbid something like this happens at another University, that excuse won't fly anymore.

Archived