Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

Except state governments don't really have the right to the authority they exert now over their state schools due to several decades worth of funding cuts. Yank on that tether hard and you're liable to snap the thing.

Probably something else that should have been considered a couple of decades ago.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably, but I don't think many people considered that a man like "JoePa" would willingly shelter a pedophile to protect the football program's funding.

I wonder if, since we're talking about an ongoing, decade-long criminal conspiracy, the NCAA could retroactively break these into separate instances for the purposes of the death penalty. It wasn't just one corrupt football coach but a systemic culture of corruption, extending to the players and the student body, all sharing some responsibility for those rapes.

Probably, but I don't think many people considered that a man like "JoePa" would willingly shelter a pedophile to protect the football program's funding.

I wonder if, since we're talking about an ongoing, decade-long criminal conspiracy, the NCAA could retroactively break these into separate instances for the purposes of the death penalty. It wasn't just one corrupt football coach but a systemic culture of corruption, extending to the players and the student body, all sharing some responsibility for those rapes.

If it happens it's going to take a while. People just couldn't and many still can't get past the JoePa facade that Paterno spent his life creating. It's going to a long time for people to realize that "JoePa" was just a myth that they and Paterno created as a mask for the real Joe Paterno who among other things was willing to facilitate child rape to keep his football program out of the press. Joe Pa like the squeaky clean nice guy Tiger Woods is just one more sports fallacy covering up very flawed and :censored:ed up human beings.

They could maybe, but they won't. Again the NCAA isn't suicidal.

Regardless of applicability, the death penalty is about as likely as us deciding to shutter every Catholic church in America for a couple of years as punishment for their issues.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Rammy, while you're by no means defending Penn State, you have been consistent in saying why the NCAA won't and/or shouldn't rain down on them. We can't get you up for some good old populist outrage?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Rammy, while you're by no means defending Penn State, you have been consistent in saying why the NCAA won't and/or shouldn't rain down on them. We can't get you up for some good old populist outrage?

Populist outrage only makes you feel good for a bit without addressing the root symptoms. As long as we value "look out for number one" and the almighty dollar over everything else, even ethical lapses on the scale that we have seen at Penn State will continue to happen regardless of punishments that are meted out.

Today, we are all otaku.

If it happens it's going to take a while. People just couldn't and many still can't get past the JoePa facade that Paterno spent his life creating. It's going to a long time for people to realize that "JoePa" was just a myth that they and Paterno created as a mask for the real Joe Paterno who among other things was willing to facilitate child rape to keep his football program out of the press. Joe Pa like the squeaky clean nice guy Tiger Woods is just one more sports fallacy covering up very flawed and :censored:ed up human beings.

What did Tiger Woods did isn't on the same planet as what Joe Paterno did. Being a really poor husband is not a crime, nor should it be. Enabling a pedophile, of course, is.

What did Tiger Woods did isn't on the same planet as what Joe Paterno did. Being a really poor husband is not a crime, nor should it be. Enabling a pedophile, of course, is.

halo-602x802.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

True, but Tiger Woods was also never as revered as "JoePa". Hell "JoePa" even in disgrace is still getting more love from some people than Tiger Woods got before we found out he was a sex crazed man whore. So it's all relative.

Not so much as to honor what Tiger did, but his biggest mistake was ever deciding to get married.

And, hey, the ex got nine digits of cash afterwards. And with Tiger starting to look more and more like Tiger again - everybody won.

Either way, while not exactly a "right" thing Tiger was doing, pedophilia is in a different stratosphere. I feel the same way about Tiger that I always did; Joe Paterno has done a complete 180, as should be the case. Paterno exited in disgrace and died in disgrace. His family has been given the unfortunate consequence of having to deal with all that comes out now, which is a shame because they did no wrong. Sometimes, death becomes a convenient proxy to avoid dealing with the rightful punishments Paterno wholly deserve(d)(s).

spacer.png

There's no comparison between what Tiger Woods did and what Jerry Sandusky did. Committing adultery isn't rape. Committing adultery isn't covering up a series of rapes.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

There's no comparison between what Tiger Woods did and what Jerry Sandusky did. Committing adultery isn't rape. Committing adultery isn't covering up a series of rapes.

C'mon people, I don't think he was comparing the two. What I read was...

Joe Pa like the squeaky clean nice guy Tiger Woods is just one more sports fallacy covering up very flawed and :censored:ed up human beings.

How did anyone get "he's saying what Joe Paterno did is no worse than what Tiger did" out of that? :blink: I took it to mean that, like Paterno, people once thought Tiger was a "good guy" only to find out that he was cheating on his wife pretty much every chance he got. It was nothing more than a comparison of how the public image did not match the reality. No one in their right mind would say Tiger's indiscretions and Paterno's inexcusable cover up are similar.

BB52Big.jpg

You're right. Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Haha, just read this. This site makes me want to throw up, not only for the blowhard sitemaster's trite opinions but the cheap amorphous website design.
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Media's Conviction of Joe Paterno Still Doesn't Hold Up

I had to stop there. I can't go any further.

I was watching the US Olympic gymnastics trials last night and something occurred to me that I've never thought about before. No matter what event it is or how well the girls do on their routine, they come off the mat and their adult coaches, usually male, give them a hug. It feels so creepy and it's hard to trust their motivation now.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived