Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

One day prior to the Freeh Report is made public, the Paterno Family releases a statement which they claim Joe wrote weeks before his death.

For the last two months, at the request of the Attorney General's office, I have not discussed the specifics of my testimony regarding the pending cases. And while I will continue to honor that request, I do feel compelled to address comments made subsequent to November 9; specifically, I feel compelled to say, in no uncertain terms, that this is not a football scandal.

Let me say that again so I am not misunderstood: regardless of anyone's opinion of my actions or the actions of the handful of administration officials in this matter, the fact is nothing alleged is an indictment of football or evidence that the spectacular collections of accomplishments by dedicated student athletes should be in anyway tarnished.

Yet, over and over again, I have heard Penn State officials decrying the influence of football and have heard such ignorant comments like Penn State will no longer be a ?football factory? and we are going to ?start? focusing on integrity in athletics. These statements are simply unsupported by the five decades of evidence to the contrary - and succeed only in unfairly besmirching both a great University and the players and alumni of the football program who have given of themselves to help make it great.

For over 40 years young men have come to Penn State with the idea that they were going to do something different ? they were coming to a place where they would be expected to compete at the highest levels of college football and challenged to get a degree. And they succeeded ? during the last 45 years NO ONE has won more games while graduating more players. The men who made that commitment and who gave of themselves to help build the national reputation of what was once a regional school deserve better than to have their hard work and sacrifice dismissed as part of a ?football factory,? all in the interests of expediency.

Penn State is not a football factory and it is ALREADY a great University. We have world-class researchers, degree programs, and students in every discipline. Penn Staters have been pioneers in medical advancements, engineering, and in the humanities. Our graduates have gone on to change the world ? even graduates with football lettermen sweaters.

That is why recent comments are so perplexing and damaging ? Penn Staters know we are a world class University. We can recite with pride the ranks of our academic programs and the successes of our graduates. Penn Staters (and employers) know what we are and the quality of our education. Nothing that has been alleged in any way implicates that reputation; rather, it is only the inexplicable comments of our own administration doing so.

It must stop. This is not a football scandal and should not be treated as one. It is not an academic scandal and does not in any way tarnish the hard earned and well-deserved academic reputation of Penn State. That Penn State officials would suggest otherwise is a disservice to every one of the over 500,000 living alumni.

Forget my career in terms of my accomplishments and look at the last 40 years as I do: as the aggregate achievements of hundreds of young men working to become better people as they got an education and became better football players. Look at those men and what they have done in the world since they left Penn State and assess their contributions as an aggregate - is this a collection of jocks who did nothing but skate by at a football factory, or are these men who earned an education and built a reputation second to none as a place where academic integrity and gridiron success could thrive together?

Whatever failings that may have happened at Penn State, whatever conclusions about my or others' conduct you may wish to draw from a fair view of the allegations, it is inarguable that these actions had nothing to do with this last team or any of the hundreds of prior graduates of the ?Grand Experiment.?

Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying ?We are?Penn State.? This is a great University with one of the best academic performing football programs in major college athletics. Those are facts ? and nothing that has been alleged changes them.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to say this, but I'm glad this piece of :censored: 's dead. I mean...what the hell is that.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This should turn all but the most blinded apologists around. This scandal, and only this scandal, is Paterno's legacy.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This is not a football scandal

Well it may not technically be a football scandal, it's clear that the influence of and desire to protect the program is what lead to the coverup and subsequent rape of children, so yeah - it's a football scandal.

This is a great University

Save for a dead scumbag coach, a soon-to-be-dead child rapist, and a few corrupt officials and probably cops who are all going to get theirs, yeah - it still is. Anyone who thinks that a PSU degree is worth any less because of this is just silly. It's not like some kid in an engineering class is being taught the wrong way to design a bridge.

:lol:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Honestly, the death penalty would be justifiable here for Penn State football. Now that it's been established that JoePa DID know about and ignore the 1998 accusations, the program could be considered a repeat offender.

That being said, there's too much money involved for the NCAA to do it. They'll come down extra hard on a small school for recruits getting a slice of pizza or something instead.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Shut it down. Penn State Football should no longer exist.

I agree and disagree at the same time. I agree that Penn State football should be shut down, but only for a few years because these current players don't deserve not playing for Penn St. I favor the death penalty over permanent shut down, but either way Paterno's statue will be obliterated. Either with bulldozers, angry wolverines, or fellow Ohio State fans.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Shut it down. Penn State Football should no longer exist.

I agree and disagree at the same time. I agree that Penn State football should be shut down, but only for a few years because these current players don't deserve not playing for Penn St. I favor the death penalty over permanent shut down, but either way Paterno's statue will be obliterated. Either with bulldozers, angry wolverines, or fellow Ohio State fans.

I hate to sound crass about a large group of people not involved, but they should not really consider the current players in the decision. If they shut it down, then the players should be treated fairly, though...option to transfer without sitting out or to keep their scholarship at PSU despite one to four years of not playing.

I don't know all the death penalty rules and whether LightsOut is right that you could interpret this as "repeat offender". But the NCAA should do that. They should show that "yeah, we avoid the slippery slope by levying huge penalties for minor offenses, but at least we're stepping up for something that truly matters. The entire football program, lost institutional control...every day for more than a decade. Every crime committed by Sandusky counts as a violation. We're hittin' 'em with the death penalty. They can apply for reinstatement in 5 years."

But they won't. Too much greed for that. Too much invested in the B1G divisons/title game. Too much in TV. Etc. I'd say there is about a 1% chance...and that's only if there becomes a ton of media/social media pressure, which so far we are not seeing. I'd say there is a greater chance (maybe 2%) that the University itself shuts football down for X years show they can show "we are not about athletic greed, but institutional integrity."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Ridiculous. Acting like it didn't happen was what got you in this mess in the first place, Penn State.

And... Penn State's culture of corruption continues unabated.

What a bunch of Paternos. This is exactly why the school should get the death penalty.

In elementary school, kids learn to look both ways before crossing the street. At Penn State, they only learn to look the other way.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

In elementary school, kids learn to look both ways before crossing the street. At Penn State, they only learn to look the other way.

I've heard better jokes from Tank. What you said is right though.

Not anything new, but Penn State sucks. More than I think any of us thought.

Archived