Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

No, sorry, this absolutely ties into football.

When a football coach uses the football facilities to rape children, and the football head coach looks the other way because he's more concerned with wins, recruits, and reputation, it's a criminal issue AND a football issue.

When a university becomes so obsessed with a football team and its coach that it creates an environment where this can happen, it's a football issue.

When the football team keeps getting top-notch recruits, wins, bowl invites, ratings, and merchandise money for over a decade because nobody knows about Sandusky's crimes, that's an unfair advantage and a football issue.

The NCAA won't do anything, and they'll try to claim this had nothing to do with football, but reasonable people will know that this will really only be a profit-motivated decision.

But why was football allowed to get so big at Penn State?

As always, because of the money it brought it. And therefore the punishment should address the "why" rather than the "how".

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When a football coach uses the football facilities to rape children, and the football head coach looks the other way because he's more concerned with wins, recruits, and reputation, it's a criminal issue AND a football issue.

When a university becomes so obsessed with a football team and its coach that it creates an environment where this can happen, it's a football issue.

When the football team keeps getting top-notch recruits, wins, bowl invites, ratings, and merchandise money for over a decade because nobody knows about Sandusky's crimes, that's an unfair advantage and a football issue.

The NCAA won't do anything, and they'll try to claim this had nothing to do with football, but reasonable people will know that this will really only be a profit-motivated decision.

As always, because of the money it brought it. And therefore the punishment should address the "why" rather than the "how".

And where does the money come from? Football. Football and money go hand in hand here. Shut down the football program for a long ass time.

And where does the money come from? Football. Football and money go hand in hand here. Shut down the football program for a long ass time.

But that doesn't deter unethical behavior in the name of making money. Which should be the goal of the punishment.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Really? You don't think shutting down a big traditional money-maker like Penn State would send a message?

Not to the people who need it the most.

Today, we are all otaku.

I don't know if someone surreptitiously put me on a regimen of stupid pills this week, but I'm having a really hard time processing some of this stuff about how Penn State's transgressions as they pertain to the economic engine of football don't really have to do with football. I mean, if football revenue in all its streams were to disappear, I should think the message would be received loud and clear by everyone who needs to get it. And a lot of people do.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Then if any other school chooses to do what Penn State does, they would deserve equal punishment.

It's not the schools I'm worried about. It's corporate entities in general.

Today, we are all otaku.

Re: PSU football punishment, unless I missed it (and I probably did, because I haven't been following the progression of this story nearly as close as most of the rest of you have), I think many people are missing an intermediary level here.

This thing has further-reaching implications than just Penn State. Most are (rightfully) calling for the NCAA to shut the football program down. But we're missing one piece: B1G itself also needs to get involved here?and preferably before the NCAA does. Penn State is one of B1G's "premier" programs (and I'll use that word loosely, in reteospect), and as such, it too is also tainted by this whole mess. And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of its two divisions (Legends?) supposedly named in "honor" of Paterno? (How does that look now?) If B1G wants to retain any shred of its prestige, then it needs to pull its nose out the air, blow those bowling balls out its nostrils while it's at it, climb down off that almighty high horse and kick Penn State out of the conference. Wanna send a message? That'd be a helluva way to start?sever any and all ties to that program. (True, the whole academic piece would be severed too, but it could, probably even would, survive on its own.) What would this accomplish? Well, if the NCAA doesn't in fact shut the football program down, PSU football will be left floating out there without a conference to belong to, meaning whatever conference, if any, PSU played a pitch to and whichever, if any, accepted its pitch would then also have this stigma attached to it. Failing all that, the program, if it chose to keep operating, would have to do so as an independent. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know exactly what financial and competitive implications that'd cause, but I'm sure it'd cause some. Then, if the NCAA indeed decided to step in, they could drop whatever punishments they wish to drop on top of all that.

That's how I'd think would be an effective way for the program to suffer (since it's inevitable that it will in some or another here soon).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Well it seems like the death penalty won't be enforced which is a huge disappointment. The NCAA once again showed that $$$$ is most important and Penn State won't take the statue down. I think there needs to be vandalism on a massive scale from fans of opposing teams in order to shame the creepy cult "Happy Valley" JoePa worshiping sheep.

Then I told that teacher lady the only three letters I need to know are U, S, and A.

http://www.deadspin.com/5926053/halo-above-joe-paternos-head-removed-from-famous-penn-state-mural

In what may be a sign to come, the halo painted above Paterno at a local mural has been removed.

http%3

It's a start. Hopefully he'll be removed from the mural along with the former president as well in the near future. Or alternatively as was suggested on Deadspin...

cmt-medium.jpg

Anyone who was hoping or figuring the statue would come down ASAP may be in for a long wait. Looks like the board of trustees is kowtowing to the delusional but vocal alumni who still feel the need to "protect" the man who wouldn't protect little boys from a rapist.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8166643/joe-paterno-statue-remain-penn-state-sources-say

Penn State is a joke. Seriously. I feel bad for my two cousins who went there.

The trustees' reluctance to remove the statue is motivated, in part, by a desire not to offend alumni and students who adore the late coach despite the damning findings of his role in the Jerry Sandusky child sexual abuse cover-up detailed in the Freeh report, the sources said. Some trustees also said in interviews they want to resist being pressured by the media into a sudden decision about such an emotionally charged issue.

:censored: you, Penn State. The people who still adore this bastard despite his criminal negligence are as much a problem as you are.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Anyone who was hoping or figuring the statue would come down ASAP may be in for a long wait. Looks like the board of trustees is kowtowing to the delusional but vocal alumni who still feel the need to "protect" the man who wouldn't protect little boys from a rapist.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8166643/joe-paterno-statue-remain-penn-state-sources-say

At least Paterno's name isn't on my diploma...but Graham Spanier's is...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I'm hesitant to say this because there are well adjusted reasonable Penn State students and alumni out there, but seriously, :censored: Penn State.

Originally, I was thinking about tearing down the entire monument, but keep the statue, but put a plaque mentioning about the coach and the scandal. After some thought, I think it's best to take down every image of Joe Paterno from the Penn State grounds. It will give Penn State a change to rebuild it's image.

In addition, the football program must be suspended. I would say four years just so the current players won't get a chance to play for the memory of Paterno.

The sad irony is these men hid the abuse because they we worried about the image, but by doing so, tarnished the image of Penn State even further and for a very long time.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived