Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

You know what really makes this whole thing just stink like rotting garbage on a hot summer day? The fact that if Penn State did the right thing from Day 1, nobody would have blamed the University, nobody would have blamed Paterno, nothing would have happened to tarnish the program, only that prick Jerry Sandusky would have been blamed and only Sandusky seen as the bad guy here.

Tank, we can't say that for certain. Sandusky was at that place so long that I doubt Penn State and its officials would be taken at their word that this was the first they had heard of it. Indeed, I strongly doubt 1998 was the first every administrator and Paterno knew about Sandusky's tendencies. I know it's easy to say that this would have been the shining option with no downside, but that is just not the case; there was a huge personal downside for Paterno et. al. called "Everyone's career permanently ends now" for reporting in 1998. It would have been the better option ethically, but it would have still held deep personal consequences.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought I'd throw this log on the fire...

With regard to the NCAA and the Big Ten; we're in uncharted waters here folks. Before we decide that nothing will be done, how about we give them some time to figure out what they can do, how they're going to do it, and a chance to talk to their legal departments to gear up for the inevitable onslaught of lawsuits that are sure to follow any actions they take? It's not like there's a solid precedent for them to follow.

Don't get me wrong, I like joining the mob and burning people at the stake as much as the next person. All I'm saying is we may be jumping the gun a little with how positive we are that Penn State will go unpunished. It's been what, about a month or so since Sandusky's conviction? The Freeh report came out last week. I'm willing to give this a little time before I storm the village square and set fire to the NCAA and Big Ten offices.

If we're still wondering what the NCAA and Big Ten are going to do to Penn State in September, I'll happily light the first torch.

This there are a lot of moving parts to this that will take time. First up is the Department of Education and what it will do to Penn State. They could in theory pull all federal funding to the school and Penn State would risk losing its accreditation (the DOE's version of the death penalty). Obviously the school will do anything to avoid that result, including killing the football program on its own if need be. So it may depending on how hard the feds push first.

The NCAA is another slow mover. I would imagine the NCAA is going to look further than this to see if any other violations of their own occurred during the Paterno era. If you can attempt to cover this up, covering up little NCAA stuff goes on without a thought.

Finally, there are negotiations that will have to take place if Penn State voluntarily suspends the program for a time being (very possible at this stage, school probably needs a culture change). Obviously you have to ensure players can transfer without having to sit out a year (to be fair to them), then you have to negotiate the out for games schedule and figure out how the conference will handle things. The Big Ten probably has to negotiate with the NCAA to keep the championship game (and if not get ready for conference realignment talk).

So a lot of moving parts. Of course if the program does have to be shut down, it needs to happen soon. I don't think it would be in anyone's interest in that situation for a a Penn State team to take the field this year.

BTW, I am not surprised by the Penn Staters reaction. I remember in high school attending a Penn State informational session for college. For about half the presentation the woman talked about Joe Paterno.

The school needs a culture change.

With regard to the NCAA and the Big Ten; we're in uncharted waters here folks. Before we decide that nothing will be done, how about we give them some time to figure out what they can do, how they're going to do it, and a chance to talk to their legal departments to gear up for the inevitable onslaught of lawsuits that are sure to follow any actions they take? It's not like there's a solid precedent for them to follow.

Don't get me wrong, I like joining the mob and burning people at the stake as much as the next person. All I'm saying is we may be jumping the gun a little with how positive we are that Penn State will go unpunished. It's been what, about a month or so since Sandusky's conviction? The Freeh report came out last week. I'm willing to give this a little time before I storm the village square and set fire to the NCAA and Big Ten offices.

If we're still wondering what the NCAA and Big Ten are going to do to Penn State in September, I'll happily light the first torch.

This there are a lot of moving parts to this that will take time. First up is the Department of Education and what it will do to Penn State. They could in theory pull all federal funding to the school and Penn State would risk losing its accreditation (the DOE's version of the death penalty). Obviously the school will do anything to avoid that result, including killing the football program on its own if need be. So it may depending on how hard the feds push first.

The NCAA is another slow mover. I would imagine the NCAA is going to look further than this to see if any other violations of their own occurred during the Paterno era. If you can attempt to cover this up, covering up little NCAA stuff goes on without a thought.

Finally, there are negotiations that will have to take place if Penn State voluntarily suspends the program for a time being (very possible at this stage, school probably needs a culture change). Obviously you have to ensure players can transfer without having to sit out a year (to be fair to them), then you have to negotiate the out for games schedule and figure out how the conference will handle things. The Big Ten probably has to negotiate with the NCAA to keep the championship game (and if not get ready for conference realignment talk).

So a lot of moving parts. Of course if the program does have to be shut down, it needs to happen soon. I don't think it would be in anyone's interest in that situation for a a Penn State team to take the field this year.

That would never in a million years happen because of this. They're not going to turn State College into a ghost town, they're not going to do that to a school with close to 100,000 students.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

That would never in a million years happen because of this. They're not going to turn State College into a ghost town, they're not going to do that to a school with close to 100,000 students.

I know that. The can use the threat though

Wait... people actually think Penn State will scrap their own football program? They won't even take down a statue of a pedophile enabler for fear of offending the Joepologists!

They will if there's enough financial incentive to do it. Keeping the university's federal funding/accreditation is a pretty nice carrot.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Wait... people actually think Penn State will scrap their own football program? They won't even take down a statue of a pedophile enabler for fear of offending the Joepologists!

They will if there's enough financial incentive to do it. Keeping the university's federal funding/accreditation is a pretty nice carrot.

Again (as I said Friday), the Department of Education DOES NOT accredit colleges and universities.

Accreditation is required to receive federal funding, but the loss of accreditation occurs at the regional level.

In 2004, Auburn was placed on probation by SACS, the regional accrediting agency in the south, and guess what, they kept playing football with Bobby Lowder still on the Board of Trustees.

Graham Spanier, disgraced ex-Penn State president, epitomized NCAA hypocrisy

There is one instance in the Freeh Commission report where Graham Spanier, the disgraced former Penn State president, said enough is enough. One instance when he slammed down his authoritative fist to protect the welfare of his charges and the reputation of his institution.

It wasn't against Jerry Sandusky, of course.

It was December 1997 and Spanier was soon to learn that the longtime Penn State defensive coordinator had been accused of molesting a young boy while showering with him in the Penn State locker room, according to the Freeh report. But Spanier wouldn't stand up to old Jer, because that wouldn't be the "humane" way of handling it. Or so he wrote in an email.

No, Sandusky got to keep fondling right under Spanier's nose for years to come.

That was a pardon not shared by star Penn State running back Curtis Enis and professional sports agent Jeff Nalley, who dared violate the document that directed Spanier's moral compass, the NCAA rulebook.

More here: http://sports.yahoo....eff-nalley.html

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

Yes, the Department of Education would do something to piss off many Pennsylvanians in a Presidential election year. Especially when the opposition has suggested doing away with it. :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There is one instance in the Freeh Commission report where Graham Spanier, the disgraced former Penn State president, said enough is enough. One instance when he slammed down his authoritative fist to protect the welfare of his charges and the reputation of his institution.

It was December 1997 and Spanier was soon to learn that the longtime Penn State defensive coordinator had been accused of molesting a young boy while showering with him in the Penn State locker room, according to the Freeh report. But Spanier wouldn't stand up to old Jer, because that wouldn't be the "humane" way of handling it. Or so he wrote in an email.

That was a pardon not shared by star Penn State running back Curtis Enis and professional sports agent Jeff Nalley, who dared violate the document that directed Spanier's moral compass, the NCAA rulebook.

Enis was immediately declared ineligible, and cited as a stain on Penn State's so-called "grand experiment" of creating a healthy balance between academics and athletics. The agent, meanwhile, was reported to the NCAA and the local district attorney, banned from ever setting foot on Penn State's campus ("persona non grata" Spanier declared), charged with a crime and publicly shamed by the president himself so everyone understood the evil and danger he represented.

"He fooled around with the integrity of the university," Spanier said at the time, according to the Freeh report. "And I won't stand for that."

If fooling around with kids in the showers was something Graham Spanier could apparently stand for, then what was Enis and Nalley's crime against humanity?

They bought a suit.

It's a fantastic article by the way.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

The only point I will secede to the pro JoePa crowd is that he wasn't alone in this. The coverup went all the way to the top of the food chain and that's the real hypocrisy in all of this. I would describe the behavior of the Penn State officials like Spanier and JoePa as nothing short of psychopathic. Just a total disregard of moral decency and empathy for one's own self gain.

And I completely agree with the notion that he should be the poster child of NCAA hypocrisy. I mean my god if a player ever were to make money for himself of his on field performance at Penn State, it would destroy everything the football program stood for. But an assistant coach knowingly being allowed to rape boys for at least a decade? Yeah I see no reason to be morally outraged over that. As long as the kids being raped aren't being paid. That's all that people should be concerned about. End sarcasm.

You know what really makes this whole thing just stink like rotting garbage on a hot summer day? The fact that if Penn State did the right thing from Day 1, nobody would have blamed the University, nobody would have blamed Paterno, nothing would have happened to tarnish the program, only that prick Jerry Sandusky would have been blamed and only Sandusky seen as the bad guy here.

Tank, we can't say that for certain. Sandusky was at that place so long that I doubt Penn State and its officials would be taken at their word that this was the first they had heard of it. Indeed, I strongly doubt 1998 was the first every administrator and Paterno knew about Sandusky's tendencies. I know it's easy to say that this would have been the shining option with no downside, but that is just not the case; there was a huge personal downside for Paterno et. al. called "Everyone's career permanently ends now" for reporting in 1998. It would have been the better option ethically, but it would have still held deep personal consequences.

No offense, but I find your mix of cynicism and naivete in that post to be pretty amusing. And you pulled it off in one sentence no less. You're saying that no one would ever believe Penn State didn't know about Sandusky before 1998. At the same time you're completely dismissing the notion that a guy who was diabolical enough to :censored: kids never could have pulled it off without a whole bunch of people knowing about it all the while. Unfortunately, pedophiles aren't bungling criminals straight out of central casting. It's entirely possible (and highly probable) that Sandusky had his disgusting act down so well that no one would have imagined he was capable of something so heinous.

I have no doubt Sandusky was committing his vile acts long before 1998. But we need to stop acting like he wasn't capable of pulling it off without suspicion and that the only reason he wasn't caught was because people loved or feared Paterno so much. The guy was a pedophile. He knew what he was doing. This wasn't just some doofus who liked to :censored: kids. This was a guy who knew to soundproof a room in his basement, knew which kids to target, and knew what to do to keep them quiet. It's entirely possible that no one had so much as a clue before 1998. My guess is that in 1998, a lot of the reactions consisted of "Jerry Sandusky? There's just no way he'd ever do something like that." And before that statement is used to throw another log around the stake at which we're going to burn Penn State and it's fans, the "not that guy, no way" reaction is a very common one in pedophilia cases.

Let me state again that I am not defending Penn State or anyone involved. All I'm saying is we've been jumping to a lot of conclusions around here lately. And the argument that no one would have believed Penn State had no prior knowledge of Sandusky's actions before 1998 is just another of those conclusions.

BB52Big.jpg

While that's a legitimate point about JoePa not being alone in covering this up, but hundreds of thousands people didn't accept Spanier as a surrogate grandpa.

Certainly true but the only point I think to remember is that if it all falls on JoePa, it means guys like this get a free pass. And people like Spanier had less to lose then JoePa did and were higher up on the food chain. If I had to rank guys in terms of who's most at fault Graham Spanier would be number two after Jerry Sandusky.

With Paterno I can't say I can defend his actions, but I have an easier time rationalizing them, because he had a very large personal stake in the outcome. He probably would have been thrown under the bus by many even if he had done the right thing. Again not justifying his actions as being appropriate and far from somebody that is free of guilt in all of this, just pointing out somebody in his shoes would have a decent amount of conflicting interest with reporting something like that. But with Spanier he would have been completely fine had he gone after Sandusky. Nobody would have called his actions or what he knew beforehand into question. From what I can tell he just covered up Sandusky for financial reasons and because Sandusky was his friend. That I have a harder time understanding without calling it pure evil.

And the rabbit hole just got deeper. If they knew about this *%$# back then then that means the cover up has been going on for 40 or so years.

Then I told that teacher lady the only three letters I need to know are U, S, and A.

I'd still like to know the full extent the Second Mile program stretched. I heard some extravagant rumors back when this was all unfolding that it was potentially "renting" kids out to it's biggest benefactors.

Obviously that could've just been media extremism, but...

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived