Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

I'd like to know who these "Joepoligists" are everyone's so inflamed about. I don't see any of them around these parts.

http://mbd.scout.com...px?s=157&f=1395

Poke around here for a little bit and you will lose any ounce of respect remaining for Penn State fans if you had any at all. A good chunk of their main argument seems to be that the media is out to get them. Out to destroy poor ole innocent Penn State. Tons of sad delusional people. One poster even blamed the victims! Why?.. because they were "unbehaved"

This is just flat out stupid. I'm not a Penn State fan - I couldn't care less about their football program - but you're an idiot if you're going to generalize such a large population by the ravings of a few idiot yahoos.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to know who these "Joepoligists" are everyone's so inflamed about. I don't see any of them around these parts.

Poke around here for a little bit and you will lose any ounce of respect remaining for Penn State fans if you had any at all. A good chunk of their main argument seems to be that the media is out to get them. Out to destroy poor ole innocent Penn State. Tons of sad delusional people. One poster even blamed the victims! Why?.. because they were "unbehaved"

This is just flat out stupid. I'm not a Penn State fan - I couldn't care less about their football program - but you're an idiot if you're going to generalize such a large population by the ravings of a few idiot yahoos.

Go piss up a rope and look up the definition of an exaggeration.

90758391980.gif

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8175462/jerry-sandusky-scandal-penn-state-nittany-lions-trustees-passed-reform-2004

Second to last big paragraph tipifies why Penn State needs a forced cleaning house and why the football team should be shut down for a while. These delusional apologists have now moved on to trying to poke any holes in the Freeh report they can rather than actually addressing the problems it raised.

To be fair not everyone is a delusional apologist. You're not going to get rid of them, they're always going to be there. It would be unwise to react one way or the other just because of a select group of putzes.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

In defense of my friend Vet, your post did not read like an attempt at exaggeration. It read exactly like it warranted Vet's response. Guess I'd better get in line at that rope.

BB52Big.jpg

In defense of my friend Vet, your post did not read like an attempt at exaggeration. It read exactly like it warranted Vet's response. Guess I'd better get in line at that rope.

That makes three of us.

EDIT: On second thought, forget it.

This thread probably needs more of that.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8175462/jerry-sandusky-scandal-penn-state-nittany-lions-trustees-passed-reform-2004

Second to last big paragraph tipifies why Penn State needs a forced cleaning house and why the football team should be shut down for a while. These delusional apologists have now moved on to trying to poke any holes in the Freeh report they can rather than actually addressing the problems it raised.

To be fair not everyone is a delusional apologist. You're not going to get rid of them, they're always going to be there. It would be unwise to react one way or the other just because of a select group of putzes.

I disagree. If they won't "get it" on their own, then someone needs to force feed the truth to the delusional. Punishing the school and/or the football team in some way would be a nice general way to do so. The fact there is anyone beyond their families, lawyers and closest friends defending these people is downright disturbing.

If it was up to me,the punishment wouldn't be to kill off Penn State football, but to somehow find a way to reroute any profits made by Penn State due to football to child abuse charities for the next three years.

I know it's pretty much logistically impossible, but in a perfect world that's what I'd do.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

I disagree. If they won't "get it" on their own, then someone needs to force feed the truth to the delusional. Punishing the school and/or the football team in some way would be a nice general way to do so. The fact there is anyone beyond their families, lawyers and closest friends defending these people is downright disturbing.

If these people haven't gotten the point yet they're probably never going to. Take away the football team and it'll be "why'd you do that? JoePa didn't do this or that" or whatever. They won't learn.

All I'm saying is do whatever needs to be done, but don't base it on a select group of idiots.

If these people haven't gotten the point yet they're probably never going to. Take away the football team and it'll be "why'd you do that? JoePa didn't do this or that" or whatever. They won't learn.

All I'm saying is do whatever needs to be done, but don't base it on a select group of idiots.

I'd agree if I was sure the idiots weren't in the majority in State College. But so far the only one making themselves known with any regularity are those that either want to apologize for Paterno or sweep it under the rug. I'm not seeing a whole heck of a lot of outrage or even open disgust from the folks in Happy Valley yet.

I'd agree if I was sure the idiots weren't in the majority in State College. But so far the only one making themselves known with any regularity are those that either want to apologize for Paterno or sweep it under the rug. I'm not seeing a whole heck of a lot of outrage or even open disgust from the folks in Happy Valley yet.

Because what is there to say other than it's disgraceful? They're not the ones posting on message boards or being covered because there's no controversial angle if you agree with everybody else. What's going to get more play:

State College resident Joe Schmoe is disgusted by what happened at Penn State.

or

State College resident Joe Schmoe is outraged that people are finding fault with Joe Paterno and the rest of Penn State's administration.

?

If you're a moron who supports the legacy of Paterno or some BS like that, you have a rallying cry, you have an opinion that 99.9% of people who AREN'T delusional current students/alumns/State College residents disagree with, etc.

If you just say "yeah they shouldn't have football anymore" nobody cares. That's why it seems the way it does. It's only a story for those who are opposite public opinion.

When more and more details keep coming out, there's 84 new excuses to be made, but if you're not drinking the kool-aid, there still is nothing else to add that hasn't already been said.

The B1G may strengthen the Commissioner's power.

NOTE: The Chronicle of Higher Education often has articles which you must register to see. Today's story is from their blog, which are free, but has a link to a story from yesterday which is for subscribers.

Excerpt from today:

The proposal, part of a plan being circulated among Big Ten leaders, would give James E. Delany, who has overseen the league since 1989, and a powerful committee of conference presidents the ability to penalize individual members of an institution, should their actions significantly harm the league?s reputation.

The sanctions, spelled out in a document obtained by The Chronicle, could include financial penalties, suspension, or termination of employment.

The proposal, which has not been approved, is part of an 18-page plan prompted by problems at Penn State, where a former assistant football coach repeatedly molested children on campus property while university leaders turned a blind eye.

The ideas are designed in part to root out problems that could include coaches or athletic officials who interfere with normal admissions, compliance, hiring, or disciplinary processes, the document says.

The plan calls for Big Ten universities to empower presidents and athletic directors and have policies to dissuade rogue boosters and trustees with inappropriate involvement in programs from trying to influence university leaders? decisions.

Big Ten officials are still in the early stages of debating how to handle fallout from the scandal. Among other ideas, the league?s presidents and chancellors could consider removing Penn State from the conference, one Big Ten leader told The Chronicle.

The Big Ten Conference Handbook, which governs the league?s operations, does not contain language addressing a situation as egregious as what happened at Penn State.

But the conference?s bylaws prescribe potentially severe penalties for member institutions that break lesser rules. Any Big Ten university that employs or retains workers who intentionally falsify or deliberately fail to provide complete and accurate information during an investigation may be required to ?show cause why its membership in the conference should not be suspended or terminated,? the Big Ten?s 2011-12 handbook says.

This is exactly what I'm talking about:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8178854/penn-state-nittany-lions-students-protect-joe-paterno-statue

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Amid calls for the removal of football coach Joe Paterno's statue from the Penn State campus, some students have started a vigil to protect it from vandals.

Seniors Mike Elliot and Kevin Berkon organized a gathering at the statue after a plane flew over the campus Tuesday with a banner that read: "Take the statue down or we will."

The students said they would be at the statue again Wednesday night, but weren't sure how long they would keep the vigil.

It's only a story because a select group of students thinks it should stay. There's no "protest to take the statue down" going on so that's why you don't hear of anyone opposed to what happened.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8178854/penn-state-nittany-lions-students-protect-joe-paterno-statue

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Amid calls for the removal of football coach Joe Paterno's statue from the Penn State campus, some students have started a vigil to protect it from vandals.

Seniors Mike Elliot and Kevin Berkon organized a gathering at the statue after a plane flew over the campus Tuesday with a banner that read: "Take the statue down or we will."

The students said they would be at the statue again Wednesday night, but weren't sure how long they would keep the vigil.

It's only a story because a select group of students thinks it should stay. There's no "protest to take the statue down" going on so that's why you don't hear of anyone opposed to what happened.

Why isn't there a protest to take it down, why aren't any of the trustees calling vocally for its removal, why aren't any big alumni threatening to cut off funding? That's what concerns me.

If this were in my town and it were my school I'd be vehemently calling for it removed pitchfork in hand after the nefarious conduct had been revealed. But apparently in state college you either support Paterno, or say nothing. Remember if there were any big anti-Paternos in State College they'd be just as visible and just as vocal as those supporting him and would be just as newsworthy. If they're not speaking out against what he did, then they're not disapproving of it by their silence. In fact silence is part of what caused the problem in the first place.

http://espn.go.com/c...-paterno-statue

Why isn't there a protest to take it down, why aren't any of the trustees calling vocally for its removal, why aren't any big alumni threatening to cut off funding? That's what concerns me.

If this were in my town and it were my school I'd be vehemently calling for it removed pitchfork in hand after the nefarious conduct had been revealed. But apparently in state college you either support Paterno, or say nothing. Remember if there were any big anti-Paternos in State College they'd be just as visible and just as vocal as those supporting him and would be just as newsworthy. If they're not speaking out against what he did, then they're not disapproving of it by their silence. In fact silence is part of what caused the problem in the first place.

Well for one thing, I'd imagine that most upstanding alumni can't simply drop whatever it is that they're doing these days and go protest (I suppose they could if they're unemployeed, but then they wouldn't be considered "upstanding".)

For another thing, you don't know who's threatened to cut off funding. That's not always the type of thing that's made public. You're assuming that just because only the slack-jawed yokels and idiot 19-year-old no-nothing students get publicized, that there's not other things going on that may not make for good stories.

As for the board of trustees thing, yeah - it'd be nice if someone stepped up. I'd assume that they're on some kind of gag order, so that they at least appear to be standing in unison whenever their decision is announced.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well for one thing, I'd imagine that most upstanding alumni can't simply drop whatever it is that they're doing these days and go protest (I suppose they could if they're unemployeed, but then they wouldn't be considered "upstanding".)

For another thing, you don't know who's threatened to cut off funding. That's not always the type of thing that's made public. You're assuming that just because only the slack-jawed yokels and idiot 19-year-old no-nothing students get publicized, that there's not other things going on that may not make for good stories.

As for the board of trustees thing, yeah - it'd be nice if someone stepped up. I'd assume that they're on some kind of gag order, so that they at least appear to be standing in unison whenever their decision is announced.

Alumni don't need to step in. Penn State should come to their own senses and take the Paterno statue down. It needs to go and the football program needs to be terminated. Why don't they get their heads out of their asses?

First, it doesn't have to be just alumni protesting. Penn State has over 30,000 undergrads. Not one of them that we have seen has protested yet in opposition to the administration's inaction thus far. Which frankly for a college I find surprising. The schools I went to you couldn't keep students away from protesting the administration even when they didn't have something as legitimate or as connected to the school as this to protest about.

True we don't know if anyone has threatened to cut off funding for sure. But I'd imagine if someone big enough was going to do so they'd either publicly announce they were or we'd see PSU reacting differently than their current hem/haw attitude (someone threatened to cut off their support who was a big fish you can bet the trustees would be reacting differently).

I too think they're under a gag order, but they've been leaking info out anyway such as the meeting earlier in the week where a couple of the trustees were vehemently opposed to taking it down and 2 were supportive of the idea. But nothing official of course.

First, it doesn't have to be just alumni protesting. Penn State has over 30,000 undergrads. Not one of them that we have seen has protested yet in opposition to the administration's inaction thus far. Which frankly for a college I find surprising. The schools I went to you couldn't keep students away from protesting the administration even when they didn't have something as legitimate or as connected to the school as this to protest about.

True we don't know if anyone has threatened to cut off funding for sure. But I'd imagine if someone big enough was going to do so they'd either publicly announce they were or we'd see PSU reacting differently than their current hem/haw attitude (someone threatened to cut off their support who was a big fish you can bet the trustees would be reacting differently).

I too think they're under a gag order, but they've been leaking info out anyway such as the meeting earlier in the week where a couple of the trustees were vehemently opposed to taking it down and 2 were supportive of the idea. But nothing official of course.

I doubt there are 30,000 undergrads taking summer classes. Also, if there's an angry group of protesters out there, maybe it's best to just let them make fools of themselves rather than go there and provoke what would certianly turn in to a physical altercation.

Archived