Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

PSU has roughly 80,000 undergrads for the record, approximately half (or slightly more than 50%) of which are at the University Park campus.

And students definitely do protest. On my way to my last final in 2008 as a senior there were people protesting something about the school not coming out against sweatshops or something like that. They have protests all the time: tuition, arts, save the whales, trees, whatever.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, as for the delay in the board's decision, here's a thought (and it's just a thought, nothing more):

There's a lot to get ready for that takes time. They know that either way they decide, there will be outrage, possible protests, vandalism (if they decide to keep it), etc. There's also the logistics of removing it (if that's the way they go) and deciding what to do with it.

It's a lot more complicated than simply announcing "we're taking it down."

It could be that they know what they're doing (let's just say they're taking it down) and are arranging for security / police, planning on how and exactly when they are going to remove it, and making the arrangements for it to go as smoothly as possible. I'd say that considering the way they've handled everything else up to this point, it's not likely that they're going to make it go smoothly, but it could be that this stalling is just to get all the pieces in place to make it happen.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The story of a Penn State employee who stood up to Joe Paterno and lost her job:

http://www.nj.com/collegefootball/index.ssf/2012/07/politi_meet_vicky_triponey_the.html

Interesting. And that is why this is a football problem. It's more than a football problem, but it is still a football problem. A lot of people should have blown the whistle either way, but the Penn State culture made the outcome more likely. And I am sure this culture exists elsewhere, which is why they need the death penalty. In fact, this is why the school needs to kill football itself...to send the message that sports are extracurricular...once they become this important, it's time to knock it down a peg or pull the plug. They did not knock it down a peg, so time to pull the plug.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the artist removed the halo from the Paterno mural, and added a blue child abuse support ribbon.

new-joepa.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The halo removal was the right move. The ribbon wasn't. It makes it look like he cared about the safety of children. Clearly, he did not.

I say wipe him from the mural completely. Don't even artistically remove him by painting in the background, just cover his whole shape in black.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Have any former players said anything since the Feeh report came out?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

LaVar Arrington has since he has a radio show. Even during the trial, he had columns in The Washington Post.

As for the guy who came on TV (namely ESPN) to lobby for Paterno to get his jobs back, I have no idea what he has said in the last seven days.

As for Franco Harris, he has not taken up the search for not only the truth on Paterno, but also apparently he is also picking up the search for the killer of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman.

LaVar Arrington has since he has a radio show. Even during the trial, he had columns in The Washington Post.

As for the guy who came on TV (namely ESPN) to lobby for Paterno to get his jobs back, I have no idea what he has said in the last seven days.

As for Franco Harris, he has not taken up the search for not only the truth on Paterno, but also apparently he is also picking up the search for the killer of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman.

Since the Feeh report? The Arrington piece was from June 18.

As for Franco Harris, he pretty much discredited himself anyway already, but at least it seems like he's open to changing his opinion, even if he's foolishly not sold on the report. I can understand a player who may have actually had a close personal relationship with Paterno being more likely to be in disbelief because the man may have been an actual father figure to him, vs. some rube from rural PA for whom Paterno was just a fictitional figure.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/20/penn-state-take-down-joe-paterno-statue/

Penn State plans to remove its statue of Joe Paterno from campus this weekend, reports NFL Network’s Kimberly Jones on Twitter.

For the record she went to Penn State.

It's a start. Glad to see someone in State College finally got their head screwed on straight. I was getting tired of hearing the excuse, "but he's did so many good things in his life too." Some things just counteract all the good you did in your life. Throwing young boys to a sexually deviant predator is one of them.

Also interesting on the timing. A member of the board voluntarily resigned last night and suddenly the board reverses their earlier decision.

Since the Feeh report? The Arrington piece was from June 18.

As for Franco Harris, he pretty much discredited himself anyway already, but at least it seems like he's open to changing his opinion, even if he's foolishly not sold on the report. I can understand a player who may have actually had a close personal relationship with Paterno being more likely to be in disbelief because the man may have been an actual father figure to him, vs. some rube from rural PA for whom Paterno was just a fictitional figure.

The Post piece was before the Freeh Report, the link which attached to his name was posted hours following the release.

Oh, the player without a name was Brandon Short and I cannot find a public comment from him.

EDIT: A former player from 1971-75 was present at the reading of report's summary and said this:

http://tracking.si.c...paterno-statue/

Penn State plans to remove its statue of Joe Paterno from campus this weekend, reports NFL Network?s Kimberly Jones on Twitter.

It's a start. Glad to see someone in State College finally got their head screwed on straight. I was getting tired of hearing the excuse, "but he's did so many good things in his life too." Some things just counteract all the good you did in your life. Throwing young boys to a sexually deviant predator is one of them.

Also interesting on the timing. A member of the board voluntarily resigned last night and suddenly the board reverses their earlier decision.

Wasn't their earlier decision simply to announce a decision in 7-10 days?

http://tracking.si.c...paterno-statue/

Penn State plans to remove its statue of Joe Paterno from campus this weekend, reports NFL Network’s Kimberly Jones on Twitter.

Wasn't their earlier decision simply to announce a decision in 7-10 days?

No it was to wait for the "immediate future" as I recall. And they made that decision only 5 days ago. At least one trustee came out and said they needed to keep it up for a few months to let the situation settle before making a final decision. Guess immediate future is a short time frame for them.

Statue coming down. More to come.

Penn State is only taking it down because of public outcry. If PSU had it their way, they'd give the statue a halo and plant it at the 50 yard line.

6uXNWAo.png

<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><A class=bbc_url title="External link" href="http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/20/penn-state-take-down-joe-paterno-statue/" rel="nofollow external" target=_blank>http://tracking.si.c...paterno-statue/</A><BR><BR>
Penn State plans to remove its statue of Joe Paterno from campus this weekend, reports NFL Network's Kimberly Jones on Twitter.
<BR><BR>For the record she went to Penn State.<BR>
<BR>It's a start. Glad to see someone in State College finally got their head screwed on straight. I was getting tired of hearing the excuse, "but he's did so many good things in his life too." Some things just counteract all the good you did in your life. Throwing young boys to a sexually deviant predator is one of them.<BR><BR>Also interesting on the timing. A member of the board voluntarily resigned last night and suddenly <B>the board reverses their earlier decision.<BR></B>
<BR>Wasn't their earlier decision simply to announce a decision in 7-10 days?<BR>
<BR>No it was to wait for the "immediate future" as I recall. And they made that decision only 5 days ago. At least one trustee came out and said they needed to keep it up for a few months to let the situation settle before making a final decision. Guess immediate future is a short time frame for them.<BR>
<BR>I don't think that was an "official" stance. Here's what was said a few days ago. Either way, seems like once that guy resigned, they got it right.<BR><A class=bbc_url title="External link" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/news/penn-state-decide-paterno-statues-fate-7-10-163750053--spt.html" rel="nofollow external" target=_blank>http://sports.yahoo....50053--spt.html</A>

Archived