Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

http://tracking.si.c...paterno-statue/

Penn State plans to remove its statue of Joe Paterno from campus this weekend, reports NFL Network’s Kimberly Jones on Twitter.

For the record she went to Penn State.

It's a start. Glad to see someone in State College finally got their head screwed on straight. I was getting tired of hearing the excuse, "but he's did so many good things in his life too." Some things just counteract all the good you did in your life. Throwing young boys to a sexually deviant predator is one of them.

Also interesting on the timing. A member of the board voluntarily resigned last night and suddenly the board reverses their earlier decision.

Wasn't their earlier decision simply to announce a decision in 7-10 days?

No it was to wait for the "immediate future" as I recall. And they made that decision only 5 days ago. At least one trustee came out and said they needed to keep it up for a few months to let the situation settle before making a final decision. Guess immediate future is a short time frame for them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/penn-state-decide-paterno-statues-fate-7-10-163750053--spt.html

Ah see I was looking at the 13th-14th where they hadn't decided "officially" what to do yet and were staying in a holding pattern favoring keeping it. They obviously decided to make a final decision in 7-10 days by Wed based on the article you posted, and then further accelerated the timetable making the final decision last night (since it hasn't even been 3 days since they said 7-10.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Penn State plans to remove its statue of Joe Paterno from campus this weekend, reports NFL Network?s Kimberly Jones on Twitter.

It's a start. Glad to see someone in State College finally got their head screwed on straight. I was getting tired of hearing the excuse, "but he's did so many good things in his life too." Some things just counteract all the good you did in your life. Throwing young boys to a sexually deviant predator is one of them.

Also interesting on the timing. A member of the board voluntarily resigned last night and suddenly the board reverses their earlier decision.

No it was to wait for the "immediate future" as I recall. And they made that decision only 5 days ago. At least one trustee came out and said they needed to keep it up for a few months to let the situation settle before making a final decision. Guess immediate future is a short time frame for them.

http://sports.yahoo....50053--spt.html

Ah see I was looking at the 13th-14th where they hadn't decided "officially" what to do yet and were staying in a holding pattern favoring keeping it. They obviously decided to make a final decision in 7-10 days by Wed based on the article you posted, and then further accelerated the timetable making the final decision last night (since it hasn't even been 3 days since they said 7-10.

I think what that's telling us is that the head of the board was the one holding everything up, and now that he's resigned, the rest of them (or majority at least) were all in sync with the decision.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Pull the plug, Penn State should never play football again.

Please stop being stupid.

The whole University particiapted actively in the cover up, I think the only solution is to shut down the program and the money in the budget for football should be used to settle lawsuits with the victims.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Statue coming down. More to come.

Penn State is only taking it down because of public outcry. If PSU had it their way, they'd give the statue a halo and plant it at the 50 yard line.

To borrow a line from Infrared, some people just can't be pleased.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Penn State plans to remove its statue of Joe Paterno from campus this weekend, reports NFL Network?s Kimberly Jones on Twitter.

http://sports.yahoo....50053--spt.html

I think what that's telling us is that the head of the board was the one holding everything up, and now that he's resigned, the rest of them (or majority at least) were all in sync with the decision.

I agree. He also received criticism in the Freeh report for his response when the whole scandal broke last year. So he was probably one of the bigger problems at PSU along with various others who the report singled out. This just seems to further confirm that based on the timing of them dumping him (via his "resignation") and then dumping the statute almost immediately thereafter.

The whole University particiapted actively in the cover up, I think the only solution is to shut down the program and the money in the budget for football should be used to settle lawsuits with the victims.

OK so all that "money in the budget" where do you think it comes from? TV and selling tickets and merchandise. No football program = no budget to settle lawsuits with the victims.

If you want to shut it down that's one thing. Your solution isn't possible however.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

OK so all that "money in the budget" where do you think it comes from? TV and selling tickets and merchandise. No football program = no budget to settle lawsuits with the victims.

If you want to shut it down that's one thing. Your solution isn't possible however.

Yeah, it's called a "revenue sport" for a reason. You'd get farther playing football to earn the revenue to settle suits.

But other than that, that only problem I have with Tank's original post is "never again". I do think the plug needs to be pulled. He's right, some of the most important people at the University participated actively in the coverup and thus far I am not really seeing the message that "perspective was so lost that the University as a whole put the reputation of it's football team ahead of past and potential victims." There is no message being sent to PSU and other schools that this is not OK. There's just a bunch of people (and I am NOT talking about the JoPologiests) trying to make sure that the tidy little world of college football, the Big Ten, and Saturdays as usual is not disturbed and rationalizing it with "the current coaches and players had nothing to do with it." We, as a society are learning almost nothing from this. I don't think it needs to be shut down forever, but it needs to be shut down so PSU can adjust to being a University first and a football factory second (well, more like 100th). They need a culture change that has to happen slowly, through some attrition. Acting like they've done all they can do and getting right back on the field maintains the current broken culture; makes it harder/longer to change.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Penn State is only taking it down because of public outcry. If PSU had it their way, they'd give the statue a halo and plant it at the 50 yard line.

I'm a cynical mother :censored:er, but I am not ready to say that they only did this to crumble to pressure. I would like to think that some key people are waking up out of the JoPa daze they were in and saying "do we really want someone like this immortalized? Even if Cujo is right, well at least it's going...it still sends a message and it won't be there for people to bow to. It's the right thing to do and for this little segment of the fiasco, I'll accept that as what matters.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

There are problems with constant up-to-the-second news, eh?

I am in the camp of waiting it out. If it comes down sometime in August, so be it...much more waffling after that, then I'll really start to question whether anyone in power there "gets it".

POTD (Shared)

That thing is not coming down. There's still too many delusional Joepologists with too much sway.

...even though it's never been said that it's not coming down.

So if it's announced that it's coming down, it's just caving to public pressure and they suck. If it's announced that it's not coming down, then they're Joepologists and suck.

It's true that they suck, but give them a chance to stop sucking.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm a cynical mother :censored:er, but I am not ready to say that they only did this to crumble to pressure. I would like to think that some key people are waking up out of the JoPa daze they were in and saying "do we really want someone like this immortalized? Even if Cujo is right, well at least it's going...it still sends a message and it won't be there for people to bow to. It's the right thing to do and for this little segment of the fiasco, I'll accept that as what matters.

That statue needs to be taken down, then melted.

That statue needs to be taken down, then melted.

*Inserts Seal Team 6, places C4 and blows the statue mile high.*

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

That thing is not coming down. There's still too many delusional Joepologists with too much sway.

Will you two please just give it a rest for a while? Or at least come up with something new to say? Christ, you're both sounding like a broken record. We get it, you think the NCAA sucks and all Penn State fans are delusional Paterno apologists.

BB52Big.jpg

Yes, it's definitely a vocal minority. I think a lot of people were fervent JoePa supporters but have abandoned him for good reason. It's just the crazy few like the idiots who think the statue shouldn't be torn down. They really don't get that there is no number of college football wins that can make up for covering up for a rapist.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Never said ALL Penn State fans are apologists, I'm sure the vast majority aren't. But the minority of apologists are also loud and hold sway.

Never said you did. I'm saying that you and your partner Cujo could stand to dial down the cynicism and extremism just a notch or two. For example: "That thing is not coming down. There's still too many delusional Joepologists with too much sway." Really? And you know this to be fact?

I get that you two have no faith in the process, but how about we hold off bitching with such certainty about what the NCAA or Penn State didn't do until they actually don't do anything?

BB52Big.jpg

Archived