Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

Never said ALL Penn State fans are apologists, I'm sure the vast majority aren't. But the minority of apologists are also loud and hold sway.

Never said you did. I'm saying that you and your partner Cujo could stand to dial down the cynicism and extremism just a notch or two. For example: "That thing is not coming down. There's still too many delusional Joepologists with too much sway." Really? And you know this to be fact?

I get that you two have no faith in the process, but how about we hold off bitching with such certainty about what the NCAA or Penn State didn't do until they actually don't do anything?

He's willmorris 2.0, infrared.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fence erected around area where Paterno statue is located.

Looks like they're (finally) taking that damn thing down. Took them long enough.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

And it's about to get better:

NCAA drops the hammer tomorrow morning, 9 a.m.

The word "unprecedented" is in the headline. Here comes the death penalty, folks.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

and it was officially removed this morning. Good news.

Well kind of. the ESPN article states that the trustees are thinking about relocating the statue to their sports museum or the library which still bears his name. The Happy Valley cult will just have to make a different pilgrimage then.

soundersbanner.png

The word "unprecedented" is in the headline. Here comes the death penalty, folks.

We can only hope.

No need to hope. It's pretty much a given.

ESPN's Joe Schad reports it will not be the death penalty but will be equivalent to it or worse. Who knows what that means...

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

and it was officially removed this morning. Good news.

Well kind of. the ESPN article states that the trustees are thinking about relocating the statue to their sports museum or the library which still bears his name. The Happy Valley cult will just have to make a different pilgrimage then.

Their logic is interesting I'll give them that. They're reasoning that his contributions (money) to academic ventures such as the library aren't where he went wrong in his life and they remain beneficial, but rather it was football where Paterno went wrong, hence the statue should be removed from the stadium.

Though all this is speculation. They're not sure what they're going to do with it yet. I recommend tying it to a buoy as the anchoring base and dumping it in Long Island Sound

I wouldn't mind seeing something that lets them keep the football team but lose any chance to compete and all the revenue potentially generated by it. Take away scholarships. Not just 5 or whatever USC got that doesn't even really make a difference. Make it half the scholarships, something that will show that the school is bigger than football.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

We can only hope.

No need to hope. It's pretty much a given.

Doubt it's a given. But it's a possibility. But it does sound like the NCAA is going to lay some serious smackdown. We can only hope it's a several year ban. But if they don't have the cajones for that at least I hope they eviscerate the program. Eliminate ALL scholarships, things of that nature.

Yep, no death penalty. But their goal was to do something worse it seems.

"NCAA president Mark Emmert has decided to punish Penn State with severe penalties likely to include a significant loss of scholarships and loss of multiple bowls, a source close to the decision told ESPN's Joe Schad on Sunday morning.

But Penn State will not receive the so-called "death penalty" that would have suspended the program for at least one year, the source said.

The penalties, however, are considered to be so harsh that the death penalty may have been preferable, the source said."

Here's hoping they lose all scholarships for at least 5 years and all bowl access for at least 20.

Though all this is speculation. They're not sure what they're going to do with it yet. I recommend tying it to a buoy as the anchoring base and dumping it in Long Island Sound

I would melt the statue down and give the proceeds to the victims. 900 pounds of bronze must be worth something right?

soundersbanner.png

I wouldn't mind seeing something that lets them keep the football team but lose any chance to compete and all the revenue potentially generated by it.

At that point, you might as well not field a football team.... which is better. If the football team still gets to play at all for the next few years, it's a failure in my book. Joepologists will still fill the stadium and still pretend nothing happened because they'd still have their beloved FOOTBAW, no matter how :censored:ty it is.

That being said, I'm pleasantly surprised that the NCAA has removed their heads from their posteriors in time to do something.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Whatever the penalties ultimately are, to some people (myself included), it won't be enough.

There must be a huge sigh of relief in Miami right now, because if this didn't rise to the standards of applying the death penalty, then nothing does.

Sodboy13 said:

Whatever the penalties ultimately are, to some people (myself included), it won't be enough.

There must be a huge sigh of relief in Miami right now, because if this didn't rise to the standards of applying the death penalty, then nothing does.

From what I'm reading over in continuing delusion land (a Big 10 community board) the reason this happened so quickly is that PSU is falling on the sword to avoid the death penalty. Seems on Thursday the NCAA was considering a 2 year shutdown of the program. But to implement this type of thing so fast it's being reasoned that PSU has accepted these lesser penalties without challenge and just live with them.

So you don't know what they are, but you already know it's not enough to satisfy you.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So the NCAA can't impose the two-year ban along with everything else?

Again, it's a cop-out. Pure and simple.

@BBTV: I'm saying that a lot of people were demanding the death penalty, and it looks like we're not getting it, if the rumors are right. I agree with you, though: we should reserve judgement until the NCAA goes on record. But as of now it's hard to be anything but skeptical.

Sodboy13 said:

Archived