Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand how records could be taken away. All the other stuff, sure. But records? I understand the view that they may not have had those good teams if they had come clean right away and recruiting was affected, but the games still happened.

As others have mentioned though, that list looks really fishy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't understand how records could be taken away. All the other stuff, sure. But records? I understand the view that they may not have had those good teams if they had come clean right away and recruiting was affected, but the games still happened.

They did say "unprecedented", right? That list, dubious as it might be, certainly qualifies.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

They did say "unprecedented", right? That list, dubious as it might be, certainly qualifies.

That list made my jaw drop. If true they weren't kidding that it's worse than a death penalty. This actually makes them keep the football team around in a pitiful shell of it's former self state to remind PSU of how :censored:ed up this whole situation has been and why it can NEVER happen again. If true this is WAY better than the death penalty.

"Pony Excess" is on ESPNU right now, for some historical context.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

These are the rumored penalties Penn State will get:

b5a9c2b9.jpg

I know the reports said no death penalty...but the rest of this looks about right...

That wipes Paterno off the top of the Division 1 Football wins list if true.

No way. Just lots of internet musing. No way the NCAA does that. Not because it wouldn't be warranted...just can't see them making such a sweeping statement to other programs that they're not joking.

I really do want to see them relegated to FCS though. I think that's the best way to do this. Send them to non-scholarship FCS or just relegate the whole athletic program to D3 (which wouldn't be fair to D3 really...Penn State has a ton of cash as a flagship) and turn them into the University of Chicago in the form of a school that was once big time that decided to bail out (though in the case of Chicago it was after they were terrible for a while.)

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I really do want to see them relegated to FCS though. I think that's the best way to do this. Send them to non-scholarship FCS or just relegate the whole athletic program to D3 (which wouldn't be fair to D3 really...Penn State has a ton of cash as a flagship) and turn them into the University of Chicago in the form of a school that was once big time that decided to bail out (though in the case of Chicago it was after they were terrible for a while.)

Division 1 FCS does offer scholarships. With the exception of Ivy League and Patriot League schools (although I heard rumors the Patriot League was considering offering scholarships). Really relegating Penn State to any lower division wouldn't be "fair" to those divisions.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Depends on any other penalties dished out.

If Penn State can't participate in the postseason, just about any talented PSU player is going to transfer. That'll take away from them.

If Penn State loses a huge number of scholarships (the FCS max is 63), that'll obviously hurt.

Penn State no longer has the allure of playing for a legendary coach.

Penn State's name is now mud. You've pretty much got to be a native Pennsylvanian or an alum to find positives about going to the school.

If Penn State does get relegated for some lengthy time (let's say at least 14 years...the same length of time between 1998-2012), they'll have plenty of negatives to make them ultimately equal to, or even lesser than, the FCS powerhouses.

Does Pitt stand to gain anything from Penn State's punishment/downfall?

Yes, as well as Michigan, Ohio St., Maryland, Rutgers, Va Tech, Virginia and other schools in the region. If players can transfer freely without sitting out it is free game.

Does Pitt stand to gain anything from Penn State's punishment/downfall?

Yes as they are not the largest football embarrassment in the state. Recall, in tbe last 20 months, they hired a coach who was arrested for domestic assault. Then they hired Todd Graham who lasted one season before going to Arizona State while tweeting about loyality and commitment as ge is in the air to Tempe.

These are the rumored penalties Penn State will get:

I know the reports said no death penalty...but the rest of this looks about right...

That wipes Paterno off the top of the Division 1 Football wins list if true.

No way. Just lots of internet musing. No way the NCAA does that. Not because it wouldn't be warranted...just can't see them making such a sweeping statement to other programs that they're not joking.

What would relegating the entire athletic department to D3 really accomplish? You really think making their national powerhouse volleyball team play against teams where every girl is a foot shorter than them is a fair punishment. Here's what I would do:

-No scholarships in 2013

-Cut the scholarship limits in half for the next five years after that (42 total, 12 per year)

-Any player on the roster currently can transfer without penalty

-No postseason play for the next ten years

-Loses share of Big Ten Network money and all profits from ticket sales are donated

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Division 1 FCS does offer scholarships. With the exception of Ivy League and Patriot League schools (although I heard rumors the Patriot League was considering offering scholarships). Really relegating Penn State to any lower division wouldn't be "fair" to those divisions.

Actually, I believe Patriot League schools are starting to offer limited scholarships. The Ivy League as a rule does not offer athletic scholarships, and do not enter the postseason tournament.

The Pioneer League is also a non-scholarship league, as its member schools were forced to move up to then 1-AA after dominating Division III. They are staying that way.

6fQjS3M.png

If Penn State gets sh1tcanned from D-1 football, can we PLEASE have the old Big Ten logo back? ^_^

bigten.jpg

No, because the ACC and Big East going to be gutted faster than you can blink if that happens.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Honestly, many of the "penalties" thought about here are not part of the Division I Manual and could be subject to legal scrutiny (even though Penn St. said that they would not protest any penalties).

1- The NCAA full membership has to vote on revocation of membership/demotion at any level. The Bylaws state that can only occur at the annual meeting in November.

2- They can fine Penn State all they want, but there will be numerous friends of the university which will assist in the payment. The athletic department is actually an auxiliary, so to get the most benefit, the NCAA would have to fine the university directly. If people can buy out coaches or have endowments for flowers, they can find a way to pay the penalty.

3- The NCAA Manual gives the COI a five year max for any penalty. While Emmert has been charged with the duties, but if he doubles the current max penalty knowing that issues at Montana, which also involve a Justice Department investigation of the school and city, where does that leave the COI?

2- They can fine Penn State all they want, but there will be numerous friends of the university which will assist in the payment.

If you have millions of dollars and you want to spend them on helping Penn State pay off its child-rape-enabling-as-part-of-metastatic-football-program penalty, you should give suicide serious consideration.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2- They can fine Penn State all they want, but there will be numerous friends of the university which will assist in the payment.

If you have millions of dollars and you want to spend them on helping Penn State pay off its child-rape-enabling-as-part-of-metastatic-football-program penalty, you should give suicide serious consideration.

I know it's hyperbole but come on...suicide isn't something to joke about.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I'm thinking the NCAA and Penn State may have cut a deal.

The NCAA is allowed to punish Penn State as it sees fit with no protest from Penn State, provided that the program is not shut down.

All things considered it might wind up being the best option. It allows the NCAA to take immediate action without involving the government or lawyers. We'll have to see exactly what the punishment will be but I'm hoping this puts some closure on the matter. There's still a good amount of people involved in this scandal that have to be brought down, but from the footbal side of things I'm hoping this is coming to an end.

Something all schools and pro sports teams should learn from this. Only dead men should get statues.

Completely agree.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Archived