CFL 2012

Nook

If you ask me the green riders have :censored: all over their identity.

The wrap around logo was easily the best helmet they had and although the black panels on the shoulders were a case of BFBS it still looks better than what they have now, which is just a hot mess.

They should have transitioned to the look they had most recently as their alternative. The over the should stripes were classy and the old school logo on the helmet was awesome.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wrap around logo was easily the best helmet they had and although the black panels on the shoulders were a case of BFBS it still looks better than what they have now, which is just a hot mess.

They should have transitioned to the look they had most recently as their alternative. The over the should stripes were classy and the old school logo on the helmet was awesome.

How in the heck were the black panels on the shoulders of the previous uniform a case of "black for black's sake"??? The Roughriders have used black every year since 1985... that's 27 years. Black in the logo, black on and around the numbers and letters, black in the stripes on the jersies and pants. At what point is it not "BFBS"?

Sorry, but the expression "BFBS" is really starting to wear on my nerves. I presume what Paul Lukas (or whomever) meant when they cooked up that expression was it is the usage of black by teams that don't normally wear black, for the extra sales that black jersies seem to bring these days (NY Islanders, anyone?). But now many people are calling ANY usage of black "BFBS" whether or not it's a team color. You might get some mileage out of an argument that the likes of the Riders' old all-black (jersey, pants and socks) alternates or the Arizona Cardinals' current alternates are "BFBS" because black sells and neither team wore nearly that much black in the past. But a trim color a team has worn for decades? Please.

Regarding the Riders' shoulder stripes, they weren't even unique to the team; it was a template that was also worn by Ottawa, Winnipeg, Toronto, and I believe, Edmonton (best seen in their old yellow alternates). I'd rather see a unique style worn by each team.

I wholeheartedly agree about the wraparound logo looking great. I've wondered if it was changed as part of the team reducing the amount of silver it uses, as they don't even use silver pants or silver striping anymore. I rather liked the silver, personally.

When I was looking for pics of the Rider uniforms, I found something I totally missed in February... the Swift Current Broncos wore Saskatchewan Roughriders-themed uniforms. Sorry for the old news but I thought I'd share since it was new to me...

photo_1351526_resize.jpg

photo_1351525_resize.jpg

photo_1351524_resize_article.jpg

I wonder how the new unis would translate with their fugly side panels?

How in the heck were the black panels on the shoulders of the previous uniform a case of "black for black's sake"??? The Roughriders have used black every year since 1985... that's 27 years. Black in the logo, black on and around the numbers and letters, black in the stripes on the jersies and pants. At what point is it not "BFBS"?

Sorry, but the expression "BFBS" is really starting to wear on my nerves. I presume what Paul Lukas (or whomever) meant when they cooked up that expression was it is the usage of black by teams that don't normally wear black, for the extra sales that black jersies seem to bring these days (NY Islanders, anyone?). But now many people are calling ANY usage of black "BFBS" whether or not it's a team color. You might get some mileage out of an argument that the likes of the Riders' old all-black (jersey, pants and socks) alternates or the Arizona Cardinals' current alternates are "BFBS" because black sells and neither team wore nearly that much black in the past. But a trim color a team has worn for decades? Please.

Regarding the Riders' shoulder stripes, they weren't even unique to the team; it was a template that was also worn by Ottawa, Winnipeg, Toronto, and I believe, Edmonton (best seen in their old yellow alternates). I'd rather see a unique style worn by each team.

I wholeheartedly agree about the wraparound logo looking great. I've wondered if it was changed as part of the team reducing the amount of silver it uses, as they don't even use silver pants or silver striping anymore. I rather liked the silver, personally.

Agree to disagree on BFBS. In my eyes using black as an outline for a logo or numbers doesn't count though, just so you know where I'm coming from.

I see where you are going with the reduced silver, that is a very interesting thought, and there is defiantly something to that. I agree with you though, I did like the silver.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Just watching the Riders vs. Ti-Cats at the Doctor's office...beats hell out of reading 30 year old National Geographics!

The white helmets on the Green Riders just aren't doing it for me. The Ti-Cats, on the other hand (as much as I dislike dark monochrome), are works of art!

I can haz sig?

I think the white Riders look, would work if they had a better jersey template

Agreed. Also, are the Riders numbers screen printed? I'm watching the game on a crappy internet feed, so it's hard to tell for sure.

Agreed. Also, are the Riders numbers screen printed? I'm watching the game on a crappy internet feed, so it's hard to tell for sure.

They're stitched.

And after three quarters, I can say with 100-percent conviction that I hate the Riders' uniforms. I have absolutely no clue why some of the black piping on the back goes in random directions. I've seen at least two crooked nameplates. And I'm not in love with the white helmets, which is the best thing I can say about the entire uniform. :puke:

How long do they have to stick with these things? Can they change next year or do they have to wait a few years? These things need to be set on fire.

And Hamilton's unis aren't as good as I thought they would be. But they still don't suck like the Riders' uniforms do.

I am surprised to say I like the way the Riders' unis look. I was NOT expecting that. I actually like the white helmet.

What's most notable, IMO anyway, is that they definitely appear to have two separate jersey cuts. Backs and receivers have large green side panels that intrude into the front of the jersey, but for linemen the side panels are only on the side and do not cut into the front. Kind of defeats the purpose of a "uniform," but if they are scrupulous about how they apply this (i.e. don't let receivers wear linemen cuts, etc.), I think I can get used to it.

They're stitched.

And after three quarters, I can say with 100-percent conviction that I hate the Riders' uniforms. I have absolutely no clue why some of the black piping on the back goes in random directions. I've seen at least two crooked nameplates. And I'm not in love with the white helmets, which is the best thing I can say about the entire uniform. :puke:

How long do they have to stick with these things? Can they change next year or do they have to wait a few years? These things need to be set on fire.

And Hamilton's unis aren't as good as I thought they would be. But they still don't suck like the Riders' uniforms do.

I think Hamilton would look much better without the monochrome look. Maybe some gold pants to go with the black jerseys?

westondressler_3585-430x298.jpg

Hamilton's stripeless helmet looks awful in this pic

All of Sask looks bad

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I actually didn't mind the all-white look. The team colors were pretty balanced throughout the Riders' uniform with the exception of the green-only letter fonts... bring back the black outline from previous years! The panels looked slightly better than I expected on the "main" jersey cut, but the "secondary" cut that a few players wear (with the extra piping on the back) is still awful. The pants stripes aren't great but at least they fit up with the jersey panels. On their own, they'd look really bad. Regarding the white helmet, I don't mind it as an occasional alternate.

As for the Tiger-Cats, the more I see their new look the more I find faults with it. It needs more white to break things up, namely on the collar, in the shoulder area (like their classic jersies had) and on the pants. And that missing head stripe still bugs me. Also, the TV numbers look oddly small.

Finally... I swear the yellow-gold used on the number fonts was a different, slightly darker shade than the yellow-gold used on the rest of the uniform. Maybe it was because of different fabrics, I don't know. But all through the game I noticed it again and again.

White jerseys/White pants works for me because the stripes on the jersey and pants match up.

As for the two different jersey styles with "piping everywhere", @TheRiderStore tweeted... "BTW the jerseys we are wearing that look different are a problem with Reebok. The correct jerseys should be here in a couple weeks."

As a Rider fan, I don't care about the tramp stamp, I don't care about the piping, and I don't care about the white lids... Just win.

Archived