Nook

CFL 2012

Believe me, I took the 1995 logo-on-front unis into account when I made my previous statement. I stand by it fully.

Believe me, I took the 1995 logo-on-front unis into account when I made my previous statement. I stand by it fully.

:shocked:

I wouldn't be as upset with the Esk's road look if they didn't have a home look that was so damn good. It is a shame they went with those Frankenstein abominations of a uniform.

I agree with you. The mishmash of Edmonton's different stripe patterns and unfortunate green panels, and the green pants and helmet, are easily harder on the eyes than anything Toronto, Birmingham or Memphis had in 1995.

At least those had solid and balanced designs, aside from the big logo and tiny number on the front. Simply putting a big number on the front would have fixed them up just fine, and it would certainly take more than one change to fix the Eskimos' aways.

Yeah, not even close to some of the worst looks in CFL history. The Argos added red to their jerseys for one year. The Alouettes wore black on black. And, of course, there were the infamous logo-on-the-front uniforms.

The Esks look bad, but not that bad.

The Argos added red one year? Was I asleep that year? When did this happen?

It was two years, 1989 and '90. It was a subtle change, with a small bit of red on the jerseys only. The owner at that time, Harry Ornest, seemed to be in love with the script "Giants" the NY Giants used on their helmets back then, so he changed the Argo logo to an ugly script and added a bit of red to the jerseys. Ugh.

It was two years, 1989 and '90. It was a subtle change, with a small bit of red on the jerseys only. The owner at that time, Harry Ornest, seemed to be in love with the script "Giants" the NY Giants used on their helmets back then, so he changed the Argo logo to an ugly script and added a bit of red to the jerseys. Ugh.

qh7xh56gfgpcg5f9x12heffd2.gif

qh7xh56gfgpcg5f9x12heffd2.gif

I looked at a bunch of Harry Ornest era uni photos and couldn't see any red, and was about to post again saying so when I found this...

James-Parker-Toronto-Argonauts-1990-5.jpg

Good on you, I never noticed that before! I'd actually forgotten they even had a text "TORONTO" above their away's front numbers. That whole uniform was so awful!

To see up to 626 images of the Argos throughout the years, go to this awesome site; Check out their homepage for tons more pics of other CFL teams (and some other stuff)!

Son of a gun, I had no idea there was red on the Argos uniforms during that period.

Any designer who ever proposes that the Argos wear anything other than a combination of Oxford blue, Cambridge blue and white should be immediately fired from the project. No more of these abominations involving red (80s) or teal (90s). After 130 years of double blue the Argos should never consider wearing anything else.

Son of a gun, I had no idea there was red on the Argos uniforms during that period.

Any designer who ever proposes that the Argos wear anything other than a combination of Oxford blue, Cambridge blue and white should be immediately fired from the project. No more of these abominations involving red (80s) or teal (90s). After 130 years of double blue the Argos should never consider wearing anything else.

Well said, Walby...well said! The "double blue" should be precisely that...Oxford, Cambridge, and white.

Bang on. That "teal" was actually described by the team as "slate green," for the record.

Bang on. That "teal" was actually described by the team as "slate green," for the record.

Maybe I'm a heathen, but I never really minded that "slate green" and silver look (at least once they took Jason off the front and enlarged the front number). I thought the design was solid and the colors worked together just fine.

Of course, the "double blue" is associated with the Argos so they could/should have tried staying with their signature look. Double blue and silver may have worked... oh well, I'm not an Argo fan anyway, my allegiance is split between the Riders and Lions. :P

Maybe I'm a heathen, but I never really minded that "slate green" and silver look (at least once they took Jason off the front and enlarged the front number). I thought the design was solid and the colors worked together just fine.

Of course, the "double blue" is associated with the Argos so they could/should have tried staying with their signature look. Double blue and silver may have worked... oh well, I'm not an Argo fan anyway, my allegiance is split between the Riders and Lions. :P

The actual look of the uni was pretty good, especially the pants stripes with the shields. The sleeve stripes were really lame but could easily have been improved. If they had used Oxford and Cambridge instead of navy and slate green, the addition of silver would have looked good. The logo itself was very sharp apart from being in the wrong colours.

Those retro Rider Jerseys are fantastic!!!

Those retro Rider Jerseys are fantastic!!!

Their even using the retro Reebok logo :P.

They are clearly the same jerseys from last year.

Have the stripes on the Riders' retro helmet always not come all the way down?

Their retros have always had busted stripes and it's always driven me crazy. It looks like crap on the Indianapolis Colts too. I really like the look of the Rider originals, with the shoulder loops and the sorely missing horizontal double arm stripes.

They could still make it that way, they just don't want to. The jersies the Riders wore from 2004 or 5 to last year had good shoulder loops, and if they'd used that template for the throwback and just made the central black shoulder stripe green, as well as added some horizontal stripes to the arms (like the Argonauts and Tiger-Cats have proven is still do-able) it would have looked great. Stick a retro logo in the space between the stripes, and you've got a real winner (numbers would probably not fit).

Why can't the Riders just use those full time. So SIMPLE! Ugh

Agreed. I was hoping they'd go with the classic jerseys full time with the change this year.

Why can't the Riders just use those full time. So SIMPLE! Ugh

Agreed. I was hoping they'd go with the classic jerseys full time with the change this year.

They still have the white set too, I believe. They also have a white version of the retro helmet floating around their offices (posted on Twitter a while ago).

I like the retros. They're simple and they look good, but they should remain an alternate. However I completely understand the rationale behind calling for them to be a full time uniform with the clusterpuck that Reebok came up with for the regular uniforms.

Reebok didn't even make the new fan versions of the retro jerseys for 2012, although you can still buy the 2011 versions at the Rider Store if you wanted.

It's also interesting to note that @TheRiderStore tweeted a picture of the ol' wrap around helmet last week saying something along the lines of "I forgot how good these looked." Makes me wonder if the wrap around is coming back.