CFL 2012

Nook

I often wondered what the Riders would look like if they went with a silver helmet, so I did a mock-up a while ago for some concepts that I actually never really did anything with.

riderssilverhelmet-1.png

I figured that it'd look good with a white jersey/silver pants or a black jersey/silver pants.

But I also hope the Riders never do this.

I always thought they'd look good with a white helmet and a return to the wraparound logo in green.

Biggest mistake that they ever made was getting rid of that design.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, come to think of it, I'm kind of torn on the Riders. As a follower of theirs, the throwbacks are one of my all-time favorite football uniforms and I would love to see them either updated or as-they-are full time....but at the same time, I've never really disliked the current identity at all (save for preferring the wrap-around helmet over the detached decals). If I had to choose, I'd probably go with the throwback route, but I guess what I'm trying to say is I'll be content if nothing changes either.

And I actually really like that silver helmet. Wrap the logo around and make the facemask green, and we've got a winner. Not full-time, necessarily, but I don't think I'd mind it so much on the road.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I hope not.

There are no other red helmets in the league--and they are the red & white...

Looks better red.

But that logo is most likely just a way of adding colour to it for use as an icon--especially if it's used on a white background.

The new primary has grown on me, but I would soon hate it if it's an excuse to go to black helmets. They've always looked good in the red. Ideally the [stampeders] tweek the galloping horse to help differentiate it from US College team(s) that use it and the Ford Mustang...

No. I grew up with that horse, which the Stampeders have used since 1965. The car companies and the US colleges can go change their logos.

I hope not.

Looks better red.

But that logo is most likely just a way of adding colour to it for use as an icon--especially if it's used on a white background.

The new primary has grown on me, but I would soon hate it if it's an excuse to go to black helmets. They've always looked good in the red. Ideally the [stampeders] tweek the galloping horse to help differentiate it from US College team(s) that use it and the Ford Mustang...

No. I grew up with that horse, which the Stampeders have used since 1965. The car companies and the US colleges can go change their logos.

By tweeking, I mean in the same way the Detroit Lions tweeked their logo. Give it a little more definition, a little more depth, keep the same spirit of it...

tigercatssignature-1.png

Agreed--no tweaking needed...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I hope not.

Looks better red.

ALWAYS loved the Stampeders' red look. The black helmets make them look like an Ottawa team(Rough Riders/Renegades). The Stamps' best unis are their red and silver ones. Time for both Calgary teams to do what baseball's Blue Jays and Mets have done. Ditch the black. Red and only red is a Calgary colour. If the NASL's Calgary Boomers had known that, perhaps they would have survived another season or two, lol.

I hope not.

Looks better red.

ALWAYS loved the Stampeders' red look. The black helmets make them look like an Ottawa team(Rough Riders/Renegades). The Stamps' best unis are their red and silver ones. Time for both Calgary teams to do what baseball's Blue Jays and Mets have done. Ditch the black. Red and only red is a Calgary colour. If the NASL's Calgary Boomers had known that, perhaps they would have survived another season or two, lol.

they are the red & white

and for that reason the green & gold should actually be green & gold--not green & yellow

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I hope not.

Looks better red.

they are the red & white

and for that reason the green & gold should actually be green & gold--not green & yellow

I totally agree. If I remember correctly, when the Eskimos had the old Double E logo during their dynasty, the helmet striping was like the Green Bay Packers, but their gold WAS a gold not yellow like the Packers and what the Esks wear now. Time for the Esks, like many other CFL teams, to go back to their classic "big-league" look.

Helmet was sunflower, pants were still yellow.. Horrible match up.. It was unique and ours but apparently they couldnt get the paint anymore?? Sure colorworx or someone might know more.

As it stands now,Much prefer the yellow lid.

But I was also a fan of the green used in 08...

We go through these kinds of discussions on a monthly basis, it seems...

Here's a breakdown on the various shades of Yellow/Gold used by both the Eskimos and the Packers over their more recent history...if someone can definitively define when a color stops being Yellow and magically becomes Gold, I'll gladly defer.

EdmontonEskimosGold_1995_SCC_SRGB.pngEdmontonEskimosGold_2004_SCC_SRGB.pngEdmontonEskimosGold_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

vs.

GreenBayPackersGold_1980_SCC_SRGB.pngGreenBayPackersGold_1996_SCC_SRGB.pngGreenBayPackersGold_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Remember that these are print colors...the basis for matching to other medium (e.g., fabrics, helmet shells, thread, etc.)

Speaking of yellows, do you have the colour files for the two yellow helmets in my Ti-Cats video, ColorWerx?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

We go through these kinds of discussions on a monthly basis, it seems...

Here's a breakdown on the various shades of Yellow/Gold used by both the Eskimos and the Packers over their more recent history...if someone can definitively define when a color stops being Yellow and magically becomes Gold, I'll gladly defer.

EdmontonEskimosGold_1995_SCC_SRGB.pngEdmontonEskimosGold_2004_SCC_SRGB.pngEdmontonEskimosGold_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

vs.

GreenBayPackersGold_1980_SCC_SRGB.pngGreenBayPackersGold_1996_SCC_SRGB.pngGreenBayPackersGold_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Remember that these are print colors...the basis for matching to other medium (e.g., fabrics, helmet shells, thread, etc.)

how much of the change do you think could be attributed to change in manufacturers and materials over the years?

I hope not.

Looks better red.

The red and silver uniforms were not our best look and certainly were not the best of times for the franchise. Black is acceptable to me as a trim for the horse and the numbers, just keep it to a minimum. Lose the black helmet, and bring back the red pants on the road. I can also agree to keep a black third jersey, but use the red pants with it.

However, I did enjoy the one year that the Stampeders wore black pants at home with the red jersey...

The red and silver uniforms were not our best look and certainly were not the best of times for the franchise. Black is acceptable to me as a trim for the horse and the numbers, just keep it to a minimum. Lose the black helmet, and bring back the red pants on the road. I can also agree to keep a black third jersey, but use the red pants with it.

However, I did enjoy the one year that the Stampeders wore black pants at home with the red jersey...

I think the red and silver era was the absolute worst of the Stampeders heritage (ironically I think the green and silver era was Saskatchewans best look). Ideally I would like to see Calgary scale the black back to the most basic of outlining and keep it basically a red/white scheme. Their continued increase of black in their overall look almost looks like they are trying to cut the new Ottawa franchise off at it's knees...

tigercatssignature-1.png

Larger version.

skedWPm_110309.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Larger version.

That circle seems pointless. It doesn't really add anything to the logo, and as much as I dislike the Stamps, their logo was pretty much perfect as it was.

Curious decision on their behalf.

I disagree, I think it gives a little more pop, and dimension to the logo. That fact that there is a now a thick black outline trying to simulate a 3-D effect probably is where they are going with the helmet logo, which hopefully means no more black helmets. The red circle helps highlight the black outline. This has grown on me, it's a nice small step in evolution, a nice upgrade...

tigercatssignature-1.png

Archived