Notre Dame helmet for game vs Maryland

cameroncrazie07

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember when Notre Dame actually used to play in important games?

I don't believe my memory goes that far back. :upside:

Actaully, I remember the game they had hosting USC about five or six years ago, and how fired up they got, breakin out the green jerseys, and the pep rally with all the Notre Dame legends -- killed entirely by the "Bush Push". the Irish have been on life-support ever since.

6uXNWAo.png

wait....is this an argument/discussion about whether or not face masks are a true part of the overall identity? or is it a discussion of HOW they fit in an identity?

IMHO, there is no way in hell you can't include the face mask in the identity. Its much more than an equipment piece. If we are talking about chin straps or mouth pieces then thats one thing, but in terms of a face mask it is totally a part of the overall identity and should be totally considered in the the final design. There are more than enough examples of how face masks influence the overall look of a uniform set. Just look at the NE Patriots....change their face mask color and you totally change the entire look. change the chin strap or mouth piece and nobody notices.

That's exactly what I'm saying. The popular opinion is that a grey facemask means a team wasn't trying, or phoned it in, or just wanted to look retro when they redesigned. But the facemask color plays a huge part in how the brand and attitude of the team is perceived. My point is that grey works for anyone, but it changes the fabric of your brand to the point that the rest of your uniform needs to follow suit with that classic, true football aesthetic. The only point I've been trying to make is that there's nothing inherently wrong or sinful about a grey mask, and I've provided plentiful examples to reinforce that thinking from both sides of the fence. It's like a grey road uniform in baseball. It's part of history, it's neutral and it works with everyone's color scheme. Some teams like a more modern, colorful look, but grey still works if your brand supports it. The same is true for a facemask.

I'm actually really glad you wrote this. It clarifies what you were trying to say. I obviously didn't get your point. The grey face mask is indeed classic and like you said "it changes the fabric of your brand to the point that the rest of your uniform needs to follow suit with that classic, true football aesthetic". I totally agree with that, which is why I totally hate the fact that the Arizona Cardinals utilize a grey face mask. It goes totally against the modern design of their uniform. You can almost draw a direct comparison to pin stripes in baseball. They instantly bring a certain classic look to a jersey. The problem is that NOT all teams should use pinstripes. As a matter of fact I wish fewer did. I see you point now and I have to admit I totally agree.

wait....is this an argument/discussion about whether or not face masks are a true part of the overall identity? or is it a discussion of HOW they fit in an identity?

IMHO, there is no way in hell you can't include the face mask in the identity. Its much more than an equipment piece. If we are talking about chin straps or mouth pieces then thats one thing, but in terms of a face mask it is totally a part of the overall identity and should be totally considered in the the final design. There are more than enough examples of how face masks influence the overall look of a uniform set. Just look at the NE Patriots....change their face mask color and you totally change the entire look. change the chin strap or mouth piece and nobody notices.

That's exactly what I'm saying. The popular opinion is that a grey facemask means a team wasn't trying, or phoned it in, or just wanted to look retro when they redesigned. But the facemask color plays a huge part in how the brand and attitude of the team is perceived. My point is that grey works for anyone, but it changes the fabric of your brand to the point that the rest of your uniform needs to follow suit with that classic, true football aesthetic. The only point I've been trying to make is that there's nothing inherently wrong or sinful about a grey mask, and I've provided plentiful examples to reinforce that thinking from both sides of the fence. It's like a grey road uniform in baseball. It's part of history, it's neutral and it works with everyone's color scheme. Some teams like a more modern, colorful look, but grey still works if your brand supports it. The same is true for a facemask.

I'm actually really glad you wrote this. It clarifies what you were trying to say. I obviously didn't get your point. The grey face mask is indeed classic and like you said "it changes the fabric of your brand to the point that the rest of your uniform needs to follow suit with that classic, true football aesthetic". I totally agree with that, which is why I totally hate the fact that the Arizona Cardinals utilize a grey face mask. It goes totally against the modern design of their uniform. You can almost draw a direct comparison to pin stripes in baseball. They instantly bring a certain classic look to a jersey. The problem is that NOT all teams should use pinstripes. As a matter of fact I wish fewer did. I see you point now and I have to admit I totally agree.

same. well said by both

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Yeah. There are a lot of layers and corollaries to this philosophy I have. :P

Back on topic: If only the decal on the helmet was darker like the mask and jersey, this would be excellent. That and the stems should curl forward for accuracy's sake.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Remember when Notre Dame actually used to play in important games?

I don't believe my memory goes that far back. :upside:

Actaully, I remember the game they had hosting USC about five or six years ago, and how fired up they got, breakin out the green jerseys, and the pep rally with all the Notre Dame legends -- killed entirely by the "Bush Push". the Irish have been on life-support ever since.

whenever i see the green jerseys i think of that game. great game

Archived