Arizona Cardinals Third Jersey

DeFrank

Nothing wrong with BFBS. NOTHING. You want a third jersey, its gotta be a different color than the other two. If your colors are red and white, where are you gonna go? Blue? Green? Orange? Pink? No. Black. Especially when your red and your white jersey (and your logo!) all have prominent black accents. And its listed as an official color. It doesn't matter how "old" your team is. It doesn't matter if you were named after a color. Yeah, its BFBS, but so what? The Raiders are BFBS. The Colts are BlueForBlueSake. The Vikings are PFPS. Its just the colors the teams chose.

And yes, these uniforms suck. But not because they are black. The Cards unis suck in red, and white too. They are just ugly.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing wrong with BFBS. NOTHING. You want a third jersey, its gotta be a different color than the other two. If your colors are red and white, where are you gonna go? Blue? Green? Orange? Pink? No. Black. Especially when your red and your white jersey (and your logo!) all have prominent black accents. And its listed as an official color. It doesn't matter how "old" your team is. It doesn't matter if you were named after a color. Yeah, its BFBS, but so what? The Raiders are BFBS. The Colts are BlueForBlueSake. The Vikings are PFPS. Its just the colors the teams chose.

And yes, these uniforms suck. But not because they are black. The Cards unis suck in red, and white too. They are just ugly.

No. The Raiders have worn black since the early '60s. The Colts have worn blue their whole existence. The Vikings have worn purple since 1960. Those teams didn't shoehorn the colors into an existing color scheme in the last 15 years because it was trendy and a marketing intern suggested that research shows fans would buy a million times more team merchandise or something. Now, I am not opposed to the Cardinals incorporating more black into their look, and they have done that with their current unis (although they are terrible). But making black alts is entirely out of their identity. Whereas the Bears are a blue and orange team, the Cardinals are a red and white team with black accents. Having black number outlines and a little black piping doesn't put it into secondary color status.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

terry-metcalf.jpg

Just throwing in my 2 cents, but I find it hard to understand why people think the Cardinals 3rd uniform are "BFBS" ( <--- worst coined phrase). During their St Louis stint, the Cardinals used black as a color. It was actually used as an official stripe on their jersey and pants. If it was only used to outline their numbers, then I could see an arguement. But since they also used black as stripes on both the jersey and pants as well, then it becomes one of their colors. The Cardinals are no more BFBS than the Dolphins are OFOS or the Seahwaks are GFGS with their 3rd uniforms. I thought the invention of the 3rd uniform was a way for a team to use one of their less used colors. If true, then the Dolphins, Bears, Cardinals, Panthers, Seahawks, and Giants (red jersey) all succeeded. I suppose I am missing the arguement against them wearing a black jersey except that it is ugly.

For the record, the Cardinals tried putting Black trim on the Red jerseys in 1970, but because of the darker Red that was used back then (it was slightly lightened around 1994) the Black got lost against the Red, and was removed for 1971. However, the Black number trim was kept on the White uniforms until 1996.

1970Cardinals.jpg

I am starting to realize that people just want to complain about BFBS when any black is used on a uniform. I think people need to let it go and just get over it already. If anything, blame Duke for this Black nightmare because when their basketball team started wearing Black uniforms is when "I" believe the trend started. I like it and hope it never goes away.

spacer.png

I was looking for pics of the Black UCLA basketball unis...couldn't find any.

Those were pretty much the epitome of BFBS.

they had a navy alt for at least one season...possibly two

For the umpteenth time..that was a FASHION alternate. It was NEVER worn.

No, I've seen game pictures of them in the black alt with the basic template of their regular uniforms, but with those Reebok numbers from the 90's, and then I've seen a navy alt as well, with side panels and a diamond pattern similar to that of the Nets.

As far as the Cardinals, black has always been apart of their logo and therefore it should be used in their uniforms. I wish they used a black helmet myself because it would make that Cardinals stand out more. In addition, why would they not choose black as an alternate? What color would people suggest they use, yellow? I certainly hope not. Finally, I say leave the BFBS alone and it will either run its course or it will be here for years to come.

How in the hell would a dark red cardinal stand out better against a black background instead of white?

No, I've seen game pictures of them in the black alt with the basic template of their regular uniforms, but with those Reebok numbers from the 90's, and then I've seen a navy alt as well, with side panels and a diamond pattern similar to that of the Nets.

As far as the Cardinals, black has always been apart of their logo and therefore it should be used in their uniforms. I wish they used a black helmet myself because it would make that Cardinals stand out more. In addition, why would they not choose black as an alternate? What color would people suggest they use, yellow? I certainly hope not. Finally, I say leave the BFBS alone and it will either run its course or it will be here for years to come.

How in the hell would a dark red cardinal stand out better against a black background instead of white?

Black, yes. Blue, no. The blue was never worn. The blue was around the same time when Emmitt Smith was playing in Arizona, but it was never worn on the field. This also applies to that yellow Packers Jersey, Black and Yellow Vikings jersey and those other fashion alternates that were around.

I think this looks awesome : Arizona Logo on Black Background

spacer.png

Are we talking about the Cardinals or UCLA here?

Are we talking about the Cardinals or UCLA here?

I thought UCLA. Now I'm confused.

All the "black is an Arizona team color" arguments suggest that some may have forgotten what BFBS is all about. As I understand it at least, we're talking about examples like Glanville changing the Falcons to black to be "more intimidating" and Dale Earnhardt's car being black and the whole black is so badass thing. In that context, the Cardinals' set seems clearly to be BFBS.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I think that the jersey is BFBS, but not a bad jersey. I like the alternate pants, I think it adds to the uniform. Just imagine how easy it would have been for them to do a full blackout, excluding the helmet. I would imagine that a full blackout was one of the options that was given to the front office. I feel that if a team HAS to do a BFBS uni than this is how it should be done.

Archived