Should Penn State Adopt a New Helmet For 2012 and Beyond?

tuffytoro

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, absolutely no. You don't simply change everything that has ever represented your football program simply from the errors of a small group of people. As wrong and horrifying as the issue is, you don't simply say "that's it, forget all our history". The uniform isn't the "de facto go-to" piece of the program that should change when times get rough. Why do I feel like whenever a school goes through a down year or has a scandal, the first thing everyone here says is "change the uniform!"? How about you stick with your long held tradition and make sure you're running a top notch program from top to bottom? The uniform isn't the problem with Penn State, it's the disgusting child molester. Let's make sure things are straight here. Miami isn't about to drop "the U" logo because of Nevin Shapiro. SMU didn't drop the running Mustang when they returned from the Death Penalty. The Falcons didn't change uniforms or logos after Michael Vick engaged in dog fighting. Penn State doesn't need to change at all. Kapeesh? Is this even a serious question?

>>>>

If you believe it's only the child molester who's the problem and not all the higher-ups at Penn State and ALL that were involved in the cover up, and others feel that way too, then we really what Matt Millen stated today when he emotionally said "if we can't protect our kids, we as a society are pathetic" .... I'm assuming you didn't mean it quite like it came out.

If Joe Paterno needed something for his football program, went to the AD and never heard back from him, I guarantee you he would have been all over him to see what's being done about it. The facts and evidence aren't completely revealed, but this sure doesn't look good ... This is a major coverup with several individuals involved, and because of the coverup this disgusting crime continued to occur. This is appearing to be the worst crime in NCAA history, much worse than NCAA recruiting cheats or an NFL player involved in dog fighting.

But back to the uniforms, IMO they've needed to modernize forever. I've heard several Penn State fans say the same thing over the years, so If the new coach, AD, and administration who comes in to replace this current group chooses too, I say good on them We're all familiar with the logo they've long had but don't use on the helmet.

The other teams you mentioned didn't need to change uniforms from scandal, nor does Penn State. The N-Lions should modernize because it should have been done ages ago. Nothing to do with the scandal-coverup.

I was never talking about a radical uniform change, only moderate as far as their uniforms are concerned.

It didn't intend to come off as if the problem is strictly isolated to the one child molester. I obviously cannot sit here and pretend to know things that very few people know right now. It's a story that's barely broke and is entirely beginning its investigation. I am in no way shape or form downplaying the severity of the grave issue. I completely and utterly feel for the victims, and I spoke with a friend of mine tonight regarding Millen's stirring speech on ESPN tonight. He put it damn straight. No ifs, ands, or buts. That's how it is. If we can't protect our youth, then we are pathetic. He wanted to "go take care of it himself" as wrong as that is, but in a way, he is entirely right because the crimes committed are entirely disgusting and sickening.

However, I do continue to express my earlier belief (like you acknowledged) that PSU should not change uniforms due to this scandal. Regardless of if you or anyone else think their unis are bland or boring, take that aside and look at it strictly from a cause and effect point of view. Should the scandal change the way PSU dresses on Saturdays? The same way they've dressed nearly forever? No. They could dress in halloween costumes, but it doesn't eradicate the scandal. That will always exist. Penn State is much larger and extensive than the people who committed, covered up, and knew about the crimes. It's about the alumni from decades upon decades ago. The students. The faculty who teach. Etc... Penn State is not strictly embodied by the people involved in this issue, and THAT is the reason this should lead to zero causation in uniform change.

No offense, but having some fans wanting modern uniforms or changes doesn't really matter. Penn State needs to make a branding decision that leads to their long term success. The Boise State's, Maryland's, Oregon's, etc all do radical things with their jersey because they don't have an iconic brand. People kill for that. To throw it away would be very short sided and extremely costly.

Never more true then in Joe Paterno's recent troubles-

"You either die the hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain".

With the amount of coverage Joe Paterno is getting these days, you swear he was the one doing the inappropriate act himself.

He was in the wrong, and deserves to be fired for putting too much faith in his long time friend, but how many of you would have believed the accusations if it was your friend or brother?

That has what to do with their uniforms?

Nothing- except the OP made reference to changing to distance from the controversy.

Enjoy my derailment.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

No offense, but having some fans wanting modern uniforms or changes doesn't really matter. Penn State needs to make a branding decision that leads to their long term success. The Boise State's, Maryland's, Oregon's, etc all do radical things with their jersey because they don't have an iconic brand. People kill for that. To throw it away would be very short sided and extremely costly.

Maybe. In light of the blind adoration and rioting the student body engaged in last night despite Paterno's obvious complicity in the whole affair you might be right. After all, Penn State only has to sell itself to the students and the alums, not the rest of us.

I would love to see the navy blue helmet, but I don't think they need to go overboard and add logos on the helmet, change the stripes, or do a completely new style of uniform... Not at all. To be perfectly honest, I don't think they "need" to do anything to the uniform. A navy blue helmet would look sharp, in addition to the white one, but nothing has to be done or should be done.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

It's an interesting question.

If some of the recent allegations are true, they may be taking a little time off from football. Next time they play after this season (whether it's next year or beyond), they are going to do some things to say "new era of PSU football". Could it be ditching the traditional Paterno-era uniforms?

I'll say that I hope they keep 'em essentially intact (adding the contrasting collar/cuff they used to have). However, adding the one-color lion-head logo has some merit; it's an understated silhouette logo (think Texas, Iowa) that, in and of itself, would not totally destroy their look.

But despite this all, they should still be Penn State. I don't want to see 'em go for a "ferocious"/detailed helmet logo, crazy uniforms, BFBS, etc. Some day, they'll be back to being a key football school and maybe even a national power. Don't be Miami, changing unis all the time. Be Penn State.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'll say that I hope they keep 'em essentially intact (adding the contrasting collar/cuff they used to have). However, adding the one-color lion-head logo has some merit; it's an understated silhouette logo (think Texas, Iowa) that, in and of itself, would not totally destroy their look.

But despite this all, they should still be Penn State. I don't want to see 'em go for a "ferocious"/detailed helmet logo, crazy uniforms, BFBS, etc.

I agree, keep the basic uniform, white helmets etc. But give the helmet a logo and get rid of the white/blue trim on the jersey.

DO NOTHING CRAZY (Oregon, Maryland, etc.)

LehQRaC.png

What if they decided to remove the helmet stripe for the next game/year? It's a even simpler, more realistic form of tribute/distancing.

I'd rather them add a stripe to the pants. I think adding a single blue stripe to the pants and returning the collar/sleeve trim would be just enough to signify a new change.

Also, your signature design is awesome.

jNTsTyQ.png

What if they decided to remove the helmet stripe for the next game/year? It's a even simpler, more realistic form of tribute/distancing.

I'd rather them add a stripe to the pants. I think adding a single blue stripe to the pants and returning the collar/sleeve trim would be just enough to signify a new change.

:)

See, very few people will notice little jersey and pant changes in the long run. But the helmet, the helmet is untouchable. Besides, Penn State takes such pride in their tradition, I think the removal of the helmet stripe would represent almost a "state of mourning/remembrance", almost like Ash Wednesday....

ash-wednesday.jpg

:)

See, very few people will notice little jersey and pant changes in the long run. But the helmet, the helmet is untouchable. Besides, Penn State takes such pride in their tradition, I think the removal of the helmet stripe would represent almost a "state of mourning/remembrance", almost like Ash Wednesday....

ash-wednesday.jpg

i dont get your analogy

spacer.png

spacer.png

At first I wasn't in favor of a change but after the last couple of day, with endless reports, I think this is probably a really good idea.

Maybe something like the old BYU uniforms but without the gold. Fresh new look that isn't an Oregon kind of change.

15byu_original_display_image.jpg?1284696682

For Penn State, that would be the equivalent of an Oregon change x 10.

Archived