Sign in to follow this  
tuffytoro

Should Penn State Adopt a New Helmet For 2012 and Beyond?

What if they decided to remove the helmet stripe for the next game/year? It's a even simpler, more realistic form of tribute/distancing.

I'd rather them add a stripe to the pants. I think adding a single blue stripe to the pants and returning the collar/sleeve trim would be just enough to signify a new change.

Also, your signature design is awesome.

:)

See, very few people will notice little jersey and pant changes in the long run. But the helmet, the helmet is untouchable. Besides, Penn State takes such pride in their tradition, I think the removal of the helmet stripe would represent almost a "state of mourning/remembrance", almost like Ash Wednesday....

ash-wednesday.jpg

i dont get your analogy

Ash Wednesday (via Wikipedia)

Ash Wednesday is a day of repentance and it marks the beginning of Lent. Ashes were used in ancient times, according to the Bible, to express mourning. Dusting oneself with ashes was the penitent's way of expressing sorrow for sins and faults.

Sounds like an action that would be appropriate for a school like Penn State, no? I think by removing really the only "decoration" they have (the helmet stripe), it would send a message of regret/protest (depending upon what side of the JoePa fence you sit on).

What if they decided to remove the helmet stripe for the next game/year? It's a even simpler, more realistic form of tribute/distancing.

I'd rather them add a stripe to the pants. I think adding a single blue stripe to the pants and returning the collar/sleeve trim would be just enough to signify a new change.

See, very few people will notice little jersey and pant changes in the long run. But the helmet, the helmet is untouchable. Besides, Penn State takes such pride in their tradition, I think the removal of the helmet stripe would represent almost a "state of mourning/remembrance", almost like Ash Wednesday....

ash-wednesday.jpg

i dont get your analogy

Ash Wednesday is a day of repentance and it marks the beginning of Lent. Ashes were used in ancient times, according to the Bible, to express mourning. Dusting oneself with ashes was the penitent's way of expressing sorrow for sins and faults.

Sounds like an action that would be appropriate for a school like Penn State, no? I think by removing really the only "decoration" they have (the helmet stripe), it would send a message of regret/protest (depending upon what side of the JoePa fence you sit on).

I'm fairly certain that if they removed the stripe, you'd be the only one who would interpret it as a message of regret/protest.

The real world would just think that they removed a stripe.

ash-wednesday.jpg

i dont get your analogy

The higher ups at the Catholic Church like little boys and ....

Buna2009.png

>>>>>>

A set like this would be great .... which is just a slight modernization, nothing radical about that.

Me likes!

pennstateconcept.png

Thoughts?

That actually looks very nice. Should they ever decide to ditch the blank white helmet, the idea you've posted should be what they go with.

OR what if it was reversed, so that the helmet was still white and the stripe and lion were blue?

I like the idea of removing the stripe. What if they decided to show that this is not ok. They could replace their blue stripe with a color that represents child abuse awareness, such as the pink for breast cancer, say an orange stripe to replace the blue. I think that would be a nice subtle move by the university, it's noticeable but not in your face.

The problem with the logo is for the left side of the helmet you would need to either flip the orientation of the logo or just deal with the fact that it is backwards. With a logo so simple the flipped orientation may look awkward and forced.

Now would be as good a time as any to change things up at Penn state.

Also before any of this the university needs to get that spineless piece of :censored: Mcqueary the hell outta there.

That actually looks very nice. Should they ever decide to ditch the blank white helmet, the idea you've posted should be what they go with.

OR what if it was reversed, so that the helmet was still white and the stripe and lion were blue?

pennstateconcept2.png

Sorry the logo is choppy looking. Recoloring pixelated images on paint is something I will never get a grasp on. But I do like this.

ash-wednesday.jpg

i dont get your analogy

I'm fairly certain that if they removed the stripe, you'd be the only one who would interpret it as a message of regret/protest.

Come on BBTV, you really think that we'd be the only ones who would pick up on that? Alumni, students, TV broadcasters, no one else would realize that "Hey, something is different about these Penn State uniforms now that Joe Paterno is gone..." and put 2 and 2 together? Especially with the extreme microscope that Saturday's game will be under?

pennstateconcept.png

Thoughts?

remove the stripe if there is one. enlarge the logo.

if you want to keep the stripe, remove the crescent moon shape and then enlarge the logo.

or, remove the stripe and the crescent moon shape and enlarge the logo.

remove the stripe if there is one. enlarge the logo.

if you want to keep the stripe, remove the crescent moon shape and then enlarge the logo.

or, remove the stripe and the crescent moon shape and enlarge the logo.

a790bfe7a660269f7d3eea7c84511113_1.jpg

done!!.........

trollface.png

I think they should adopt not having a football program for 2012 and beyond.

On 11/11/2011 at 1:25 AM, GFB said:
On 11/11/2011 at 7:16 PM, BringBackTheVet said:
On 11/11/2011 at 7:06 PM, GFB said:
On 11/11/2011 at 6:44 PM, Pizzaman7294 said:
On 11/11/2011 at 6:38 PM, GFB said:
On 11/11/2011 at 6:16 PM, TalktoChuck said:
On 11/11/2011 at 6:14 PM, GFB said:

i dont get your analogy

Come on BBTV, you really think that we'd be the only ones who would pick up on that? Alumni, students, TV broadcasters, no one else would realize that "Hey, something is different about these Penn State uniforms now that Joe Paterno is gone..." and put 2 and 2 together? Especially with the extreme microscope that Saturday's game will be under?

Just put out a press release that says "Penn State is removing The Stripe of Shame" from its helmets."

Buna2009.png

>>>>>>

A set like this would be great .... which is just a slight modernization, nothing radical about that.

Me likes!

Just mirror the logo to the nose of the lion is pointing forward on each face of the helmet.

ash-wednesday.jpg

i dont get your analogy

I don't think just taking the stripe away is enough of a change, it would probably just look like an error.

What if they stayed in the same wheel house as your thought and added an extra stripe so they had 2 stripes on the helmet and maybe carry it on to the pants. That way it could be a reflection of the 2nd stage of Penn State football (I would also add bad the collars because I thought that change was just plain dumb anyways). To appease people who love the logo, what about just adding the oval logo to the pants on either side on top of the stripes as a symbol of change and moving forward, but all of these changes are small enough to stay inside of their brand.

I think the hip logo would be a bit much, especially if it was to be placed over pants stripes...but I do like the general gist of your idea, Walk. (You've been a bit more active around here lately...good to see you hang around here for a lil' while.)

I could definitely see the double stripe thing working. And, like pretty much everyone else has been saying, they really should bring back the contrasting collar/sleeve cuffs. And now here's a new idea in regards to a new helmet...since matte helmets are the new "in" thing, how about PSU get one of those, with the double stripe Walk suggested...with an irridescent Nittany Lion logo on it? (Think what Mizzou did with their black RPC helmets a season or two, only PSU's would be done the same way in white...varnished logo on top of matte white?) Just a thought.

99.999999999999999875% of people would have no idea what the second stripe represents, or what the removal of the first stripe would represent. They're just stripes. I've always felt it's silly when a new uniform comes out and the designers go out of their way to say what each element "represents", when more than likely, it's just a coincidence that the number of sleeve stripes matches the number of championships, or that the blue represents the ocean, when in reality it's just the owner's favorite color or whatever. It's even worse when you go back and assign some kind of esoteric meaning to a design element that's had no meaning for the past 60 years. "It didn't mean anything, but now it means something, and we're removing it, which then means the opposite of what it meant (that it didn't really mean)."

Any noticeable change would only serve to remind people of the scandal, which (don't get me wrong, awareness of issues is important, but...) from the school's perspective, is the last thing they want to do.

I'm actually with you in that far too often folks try to justify every single little element of a uniform design with some type of meaning--i mean hell, I've done it, with almost every concept set I created over the years. But sometimes, yeah, I think its perfectly acceptable to say "hey, I just think these colors/stripes/piping/whatever look good like that" without really trying to relate it to ocean currents, blood stripes or whatever other representational elements one could conjure up.